190 comments in this topic

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles

8rPNi18.gif

Every time one of these reviews come out, my first response is to scroll to the bottom and give the mandatory upvote(s).

Reading now. :)

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,623 posts
8,311 battles

Thanks for the review, looks good. Does Belfast lose as much speed in her turns as say a Shchors would?

Also, regarding fire chance, from my quick look she'll probably be the second-best fire-starting cruiser at-tier:

Shchors is a terrifically potent ship, with high speed and a large citadel. Shchors is, by far, the best fire-starting T7 cruiser. That's not all there is to being a good ship, but this topic is my specialty, so here we go:

Tier 7 cruiser fire starting analysis

Base PSFC 1 PSFC v. BB7 2            3  RPM Broad 4 Acc score 5         Acc 6  Hitrate 7             τ 8
Shchors 12% 10.0% 10 90 1.00 40% 0.600 15.9
Atlanta 5% 5.3% 18 187 0.77 31% 0.956 19.1
Myoko 17% 13.3% 7 43 0.90 36% 0.258 27.1
Pensacola 14% 11.3% 8 40 0.85 34% 0.227 36.8
Yorck 12% 10.0% 10 40 0.95 38% 0.253 37.5

1. Base per-shell fire chance, as shown in port

2. Modified per-shell fire chance, including demolition expert, versus T7 ship with Damage Control System Modification 1 (presumed to be present on all battleships)

3. n-bar represents the mean number of shell hits it takes to start a fire. This value judges a ship's shells, ignoring both volume of fire and accuracy, and is therefore both completely objective and an incomplete picture.

4. Maximum theoretical broadside RPM, including BFT where applicable. The relative ease or difficulty of bringing all guns to bear has not been factored into this table (if it were, it would likely penalize Myoko and slightly boost Atlanta).

5. Accuracy score, a subjective multiplier selected based on dispersion and shell velocity. The relative ease or difficulty of bringing guns into effective range has not been factored in (if it were, it would likely penalize Atlanta and boost Shchors/Yorck).

6. Derived accuracy, taking a base of 40% and applying the previously chosen coefficient.

7. Absolute hitrate, the product of broadside RPM and accuracy converted to Hertz.

8. Tau represents the mean time to start a fire, in seconds. This value shows how quickly a given ship is likely to set its target on fire, which is both extremely useful for comparison as well as inherently uncertain due to the necessary inclusion of subjective factors. Its derivation is beyond the scope of this post; see link below.

Chart TLDR: The lower the number in the last column, the better a fire starter the ship is.

The methodology employed in this analysis can be found in my guide, How to quantify the effect of fire chance modification.

Belfast numbers might be along these lines:

Base PSFC 1 PSFC v. BB7 2            3  RPM Broad 4 Acc score 5         Acc 6  Hitrate 7             τ 8
Belfast 9% 8.0% 12 96 0.80 32% 0.512 23.5

Looks good to me!

• Cool 4

[HINON]
Supertester
20,092 posts
13,558 battles

Does Belfast lose as much speed in her turns as say a Shchors would?

She does lose a lot of speed in a turn. It's hard to say from anecdotal gameplay whether it's as bad as Shchors, but losing a lot of speed in a hard turn is also a blessing in disguise, because of her short 7s smoke emission duration. If you hard reverse and pull into a hard turn, you'll slow down quick enough so that you can almost directly pop your smoke screen and not drive out of it. It take a bit of getting used to, but her 'handbrake turn' synergises well with her two-puff short smoke screen.
  • Cool 1

[THORN]
Members
99 posts
5,901 battles

As someone who has and loves the Atlanta as a sneaky Destroyer hunting machine, i can't help but drool over the Belfast. She's an upgrade in almost every conceivable  way. and in the ways she's not, They're minor enough compared to her upgrades that she's Totally worth it. The ONLY major downside is that i haven't finished training a captain for her on my Warspite yet :P

Members
1,351 posts
4,319 battles

Does this ship play closer to the Shchors or Cleveland?  Is it a Cleveland with Shchors guns or a Shchors with Cleveland guns?  Reason I ask is that I am fine with the Shchors, but hate the Cleveland.

Members
382 posts
3,467 battles

So my question is this, is the arc like the Atlanta that it disappears when you look through the binocular view or can you still see it?

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

If the Belfast really wants Demolition Expert at tier 4, and if the RN CL line is subsequently released AP-only except for a few ships in the line (as present indications point, though this could change), this would seem to mean that the Belfast will need a dedicated captain and won't make an ideal trainer.  Or am I missing something?

Edited by Lillehuntrix

Members
2,254 posts

Well, watched 3 review videos. Looks to be a tier 7 MK without torps, but the ability to radar. Meh... Gets wrecked when it's not hiding in smoke. Flamu calls it OP even though none of his games he does over 130k. I can do 130 on any ship. So it's not OP... Maybe for DD's thought since it's made to kill them.

I guess I'll keep waiting for a good T7 cruiser that can dog fight without relying on a gimmick.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,682 posts
8,153 battles

If the Belfast really wants Demolition Expert at tier 4, and if the RN CL line is subsequently released AP-only except for a few ships in the line (as present indications point, though this could change), this would seem to mean that the Belfast will need a dedicated captain and won't make an ideal trainer.  Or am I missing something?

You're not wrong.  We'll have to wait and see how the RN cruisers get released.  They've apparently undergone several changes. Who knows what their final iteration will be?

Members
1,351 posts
4,319 battles

Depends, for retraining from one ship to the next or getting a few points on a new ship, it should be a fine trainer.  If you want to maximize the skills in this ship, then it probably will be slightly less as demo expert vs non-demo expert has a 25% difference in chance of fire. 

[HINON]
Supertester
20,092 posts
13,558 battles

Does this ship play closer to the Shchors or Cleveland?

So my question is this, is the arc like the Atlanta that it disappears when you look through the binocular view or can you still see it?

It scertainly doesn't have Shchors guns. Though Belfast has a better arc than Cleveland, it's not that much better. It still goes very high and still takes a while to land.

Members
1,351 posts
4,319 battles

It scertainly doesn't have Shchors guns. Though Belfast has a better arc than Cleveland, it's not that much better. It still goes very high and still takes a while to land.

Thanks.  I may have to reconsider if I want this or not.  I deplore the Cleveland and USN DD gun arcs.  While this ship really rocks close range with DDs, it definitely doesn't want to duel any heavier ships at that range.  iChase's video is very misleading as it shows him murdering DDs at under 8km and then shelling a potato Arizona player who is driving full broadside in a straight line.  This is possibly the most ideal setup the ship will ever see and may never occur for many people buying the ship. 

I guess I wait until it shows up on some streams to see what it is like.

Edited by BossmanSlim

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Does anyone think it is funny how they release a good DD and then right after that release a really good DD hunter? :yes_cap:

• Cool 2

Members
3,633 posts
7,403 battles

Great. A cap-grabbing Destroyer Leader and premier DD-killer. Watch all those recent howls of disappointment about the Eugen turn into a chorus of praise for this outfitter's catnip. As always, I would like to know if there is any historical chrome in her rendering along the lines of the motto "Valeur" and "Disipline" plaques welded to a barbette of the French BB Dunkerque.  I foresee using her smoke as I do the Kutuzov at times--like an octopus cloud of ink in the face of sharks as you get out of Dodge.

Watch the team chat at the start of the battle from your DDs: "oh feck they have a Belfast!" :(

[And a very fine review Mouse et.al.]

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Great. A cap-grabbing Destroyer Leader and premier DD-killer. Watch all those recent howls of disappointment about the Eugen turn into a chorus of praise for this outfitter's catnip. As always, I would like to know if there is any historical chrome in her rendering along the lines of the motto "Valeur" and "Disipline" plaques welded to a barbette of the French BB Dunkerque.  I foresee using her smoke as I do the Kutuzov at times--like an octopus cloud of ink in the face of sharks as you get out of Dodge.

Watch the team chat at the start of the battle from your DDs: "oh feck they have a Belfast" :(

I1h0PQf3Gzpny.gif

[WNSTN]
Members
2,707 posts
16,109 battles

Seems that as much as I like playing the Atlanta, this ship would be right up my alley.

Members
441 posts
2,009 battles

The only negative I can see is that she can see Tier 9 ships.  Especially the Roon, which has Invisi-fire as well as high ROF 203's.