Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
_Marines

Poll: Which is the worst CV that you will scrap as soon as you can?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

Which is the worst CV that you will scrap as soon as you can?   75 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the worst Japanese CV?

• IV - Hosho
    • V - Zuiho
    • VI - Ryujo
    • VII - Hiryu
    • VIII - Shokaku
    • IX - Taiho
    • X - Hakuryu
    • I have not reached high tiers yet / I have not played them yet
  2. 2. Which is the worst American CV?

• IV - Langley
    • V - Bogue
    • VI - Independence
    • VII - Ranger
    • VII - Saipan
    • VIII - Lexington
    • IX - Essex
    • X - Midway
    • I have not reached high tiers yet / I have not played them yet

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 posts in this topic

In the right hands, most CVs are awesome, but they are certainly a few that we wouldn't want to keep as soon as we have grinded to the next tier. What are the CVs that make you feel sad everytime you play and desperately need a buff?:aqua:

Here is a WarshipStats data sheet for your reference:

HtyAGNn.jpg

I haven't made it too far with the CVs yet, they are my least played class. The Bouge was definitely one I was eager to move past. 

Got the tense of the verb wrong - I voted the T6's, but the correct tense in this case is "have scrapped".

Why?

In the right hands, most CVs are awesome,

Realized that I actually have the "wrong" hands.

I'm pretty sure this is no longer the case, but pre-aircraft rework Ryujo was awful.  Especially because I also got to her before Cleveland was nerfed.  I still wouldn't touch her with a 99-foot pole because of how bad that was for me.

Edited by TenguBlade

Independence was that horrible cv for me. The most suffering I've ever had due to combination of the small hangar and the bump in aa effectiveness that you see in tier 6

Bogue is by far the worst CV out of all of them - least squads for a CV (1/1/0). Just that alone makes it the worst. I wouldn't say any of the IJN CVs are bad, but the Zuiho would probably be currently the worst due to power-creep

MM changes

I'm pretty sure this is no longer the case, but pre-aircraft rework Ryujo was awful.  Especially because I also got to her before Cleveland was nerfed.  I still wouldn't touch her with a 99-foot pole because of how bad that was for me.

Post-aircraft rework Ryujo isn't much better...

Ranger is the shittiest CV I have ever played. Only its strike loadout can compete in terms of damage but it doesn't have any fighters.

Got the tense of the verb wrong - I voted the T6's, but the correct tense in this case is "have scrapped".

Why?

In the right hands, most CVs are awesome,

Realized that I actually have the "wrong" hands.

:teethhappy:Haha..

Would you say that Ryujo and Independence are equally bad, or Independence is even worse?

I love the differences in win rates and average damage between IJN and US CV lines.

I do find that the WG's initial proposal of IJN CVs being strike ships and USN CVs being AA defence makes no sense. In reality, the USN CVs just underperform.

I would rather have a balanced gameplay and the performance is about the players' skills, not the line they choose.:unsure:

Independence was that horrible cv for me. The most suffering I've ever had due to combination of the small hangar and the bump in aa effectiveness that you see in tier 6

^^^^^ This

Ranger is not far behind it. 

Looks like the answers hold be every usn cv except Saipan. So there's apparently no reason to play the us line.

Ranger is the shittiest CV I have ever played. Only its strike loadout can compete in terms of damage but it doesn't have any fighters.

try flying with the standard setup, it gives more damage than the AS setup and fighter coverage while still giving you the ability to use TB's. You will have 1 less squadron overall but if you NEED fighters then thats an option.

try flying with the standard setup, it gives more damage than the AS setup and fighter coverage while still giving you the ability to use TB's. You will have 1 less squadron overall but if you NEED fighters then thats an option.

Problem with the standard setup is that it's worse across the board against the standard setups of both the Hiryu and the Saipan.

For me, Langley is a keeper. I do plan to sell off my Bogue when I can afford the Independence, as with every following ship till the Midway.

I rushed through Indi without buying upgrades, but it wasn't a terrible ship. I just wanted to get to tiers with more squadrons since 3 just wasn't all that interesting.

I have run up to Tier VIII USN CV and Tier VII IJN CV.  I've played them all.

Except Bogue.  Even as a scrub player and running the USN CV line as my first ever CV line, one preview of Bogue's in-port stats told me enough to skip that POS.

You'll regret skipping the Bogue. Stock loadout is comfy af despite not having a way to stagger DoTs.

So far I've found no CV to be complete garbo, but the Ranger is just straight worse than the Hiryuu and it shows.

Edited by Flashtirade

You'll regret skipping the Bogue. Stock loadout is comfy af despite not having a way to stagger DoTs.

So far I've found no CV to be complete garbo, but the Ranger is just straight worse than the Hiryuu and it shows.

I've gotten to Tier VIII USN and Tier VII IJN CVs.  I can confidently say all I missed with Bogue is wasting time, credits on a POS CVE.  Zuiho is 100x better.

All of them are great. I enjoy playing all of them and have great success (all of them >50% WRs). I have higher WRs in the USN CVs but that's because I started that line second.

I'm not sure I'll play T4s again since I don't want to play as the lowest tier.

I've gotten to Tier VIII USN and Tier VII IJN CVs.  I can confidently say all I missed with Bogue is wasting time, credits on a POS CVE.  Zuiho is 100x better.

You do know that strike Bogue is virtually strike Independence without the chance of seeing many potential victims that have Defensive Fire, right?  The bombers have the same 500lb bombs, and the standard American CV torpedoes appear on her planes too.

Edited by TenguBlade

Stock Ranger almost made me rage quit :( Frankly the whole US line had moments of why am I using this but if I had to pick just one it would be Stock ranger. I lost planes to everything that even looked at my squads not to mention stock IJN is a 2/2/2.

Problem with the standard setup is that it's worse across the board against the standard setups of both the Hiryu and the Saipan.

I didnt say it was better than the other CV's. I simply stated that if you NEED fighters while you try to do damage, then stock is your best bet. but if you can manage without fighters then u might as well go all strike

I can summarize USN in a few lines:

USN Stock CV inferior to IJN every tier except Langley (Midway is close to being on par with Hak, but not quite). 

USN Strike is useless Tier 5-7. Lex Strike is at mercy of MM, Essex and Midway are playable but sub-par to Taiho/Hak.

USN Air Superiority rules the skies at every tier, especially Tier 5-6, but gives up too much strike power and therefore has very limited ability to impact the game. 

I can summarize USN in a few lines:

USN Stock CV inferior to IJN every tier except Langley (Midway is close to being on par with Hak, but not quite). 

USN Strike is useless Tier 5-7. Lex Strike is at mercy of MM, Essex and Midway are playable but sub-par to Taiho/Hak.

USN Air Superiority rules the skies at every tier, especially Tier 5-6, but gives up too much strike power and therefore has very limited ability to impact the game. 

I partially disagree. Bogue is still pretty good, Independence is fair to Ryujo, and Ranger is fairly good. I've had immense success in these ships, they're just difficult to play well against a flexible IJN counterpart. Strike Lexington appears scary, its rival needs to be focused to mitigate the great amount of damage it may potentially do. While I haven't played Langley since the change to 1-1-1, I'd figure it's pretty OP compared to Hoshou now. T9-10 IDK. 

I'd say that AS USN loadouts are useless and essentially have no strike power.

Basically I think, contrary to popular opinion, it's more difficult to play USN CVs well (emphasis on "well") than it is IJN CVs (aside from micromanagement). Even AS USN CVs should be denying most or all of every strike in order to be considered effective (as their damage output should be equivalent); yet most of these players are unable to do that, much less consistently for each and every strike.

I believe USN CVs get a lot of complaints b/c of the all-or-nothing builds, but also b/c so few players use them to full effectiveness.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0