You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Crucias

Tashkent in Ranked?

35 comments in this topic

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
6,988 battles

How are people finding the Tashkent in ranked? I have the Benson and Lo Yang but am not fairing well with the shell arcs. I used Blys in the last season and dominated with her - only reason I stopped at 5 was I burned out playing it religiously after work every night.

I know she cannot really contest caps because all her adverseries will be able to spot her and call down fire from CAs et al, however I am looking from comments regarding how much she can contribute to the game by firing at capital ships.

[-KIA-]
Clan Supertest Coordinator, Supertester, Privateers, Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
6,499 posts
8,211 battles

Tashkent can do stuff.. but when faced against a Benson in smoke, it's dead.

And it will be dead because Benson can spot it before and smoke up then gun it to death.

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

If you want to get to rank 1 I would not recommend, Tash is a huge target with terrible concealment, it can barely stealth torp with its mediocre torps. Her range is not good enough to stealth fire iirc so I would not recommend her as an HE hucker. Benson outclasses her in almost every way.

• Cool 1

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
6,988 battles

Cheers guys, I am aware of the Tashkents draw backs compared to the Benson. However I am also aware that there are somethings she does better, namely shooting at range. I am after feedback from someone who plays her in ranked and can make her work.

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,307 posts
8,230 battles

regardless of who sees who first the benson will win the gun fight if they can aim.  Bensons can be out played in the tash but you dont really wanna waste all your health on the one DD when there will likely be 4 more bensons

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Cheers guys, I am aware of the Tashkents draw backs compared to the Benson. However I am also aware that there are somethings she does better, namely shooting at range. I am after feedback from someone who plays her in ranked and can make her work.

I know what you're looking for. But I see this post and I want to offer my thoughts. The Tashkent is a worse ship than the Benson, and it's weaknesses are exaggerated in ranked where detectability reigns supreme. If you want to use the Tashkent you need AFT and CE and stay at range. But you will still be a liability.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,489 posts
18,553 battles

"I am after feedback from someone who plays her in ranked and can make her work."      

Good luck finding that guy.

Edited by Umikami

Members
304 posts
4,008 battles

I think I've only seen two in Ranked so far. 

I'm usually the "play whatever is fun for you" guy, but I'm not sure about your "shoot at range" idea in Ranked.  Ranked really demands the DDs get capping and spotting. Taking a DD into Ranked with the idea of hanging back really hobbles your teams, and seven-player teams need to be firing on all seven pistons.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,732 posts
12,778 battles

I saw someone using it to great effect as a support ship.

But I think cruisers packs more firepower for what he was doing with it.

Beta Testers
146 posts
8,849 battles

So from my experience in the competitive world, which bears some similarities to ranked, the Tashkent has a small niche. Its basically a really fast light cruiser that can provide gunfire support for friendly DDs contesting caps. However, once the cruisers and BBs get closer to the cap the Tashkent has to be really careful, as its still pretty easy to hit at its max range of 13.9km. However, while the Tashkent isn't without its uses, there are a few major issues with bringing one into ranked.

1. It plays like a CL, but MM treats it like a DD. The primary task for a DD is to cap, so playing a Tashkent correctly means you are putting your team at a DD disadvantage.

2. The timing window where the Tashkent is strong is generally short, and varies in duration depending on the map. The best map for the Tashkent (tears of the desert) is no longer in the ranked rotation.

3. In general, if you want to play a Tashkent you'd probably be doing yourself and your team a favor by playing a Kutuzov instead. You get a CL with high velocity DD killing guns and smoke, but the Kutuzov is more durable, is matched as a CL, and has the best AA at its tier. 

• Cool 1

Members
213 posts
13,754 battles

Tashkents have been getting decimated in Ranked from what I have seen. Once they are spotted, they get focus fired upon.

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
6,988 battles

So from my experience in the competitive world, which bears some similarities to ranked, the Tashkent has a small niche. Its basically a really fast light cruiser that can provide gunfire support for friendly DDs contesting caps. However, once the cruisers and BBs get closer to the cap the Tashkent has to be really careful, as its still pretty easy to hit at its max range of 13.9km. However, while the Tashkent isn't without its uses, there are a few major issues with bringing one into ranked.

1. It plays like a CL, but MM treats it like a DD. The primary task for a DD is to cap, so playing a Tashkent correctly means you are putting your team at a DD disadvantage.

2. The timing window where the Tashkent is strong is generally short, and varies in duration depending on the map. The best map for the Tashkent (tears of the desert) is no longer in the ranked rotation.

3. In general, if you want to play a Tashkent you'd probably be doing yourself and your team a favor by playing a Kutuzov instead. You get a CL with high velocity DD killing guns and smoke, but the Kutuzov is more durable, is matched as a CL, and has the best AA at its tier. 

​Hey thanks for your contribution mate; I think you're the first responder who comes close to my original request :D. I'll offer all other responders a thanks for their time as well.

I considered swapping to a CL but past experience has shown I am not very good at staying alive in them; I play them (exception is my Hindenburg) aggresively and support the DDs but in ranked that's a death sentance because everyone else hangs back and DDs haven't started smoking reliably for their team yet (usually happens more consistently at ranks 12+).

Members
2,161 posts
6,493 battles

I've used it a few times. 1 win 2 losses was top XP in one loss and 2nd xp in the other.

The only thing Tashkent can do in this setting is the typical long range high speed HE spam. In ranked you aren't one of 12 ships in a random, one are one of 7 and being focused by players with generally better aim, and Tashkent is a big ship that does not dance well.

Of course there is the obvious issue that you are taking up a 'cap contester' slot with a ship you plan on using like a spammy cruiser.

If I was sitting at an irrevocable rank I might experiment with the ship more,

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
6,988 battles

Cheers for the continued feedback people. I think I might try her when I get to rank 12 (my Benson playstyle has altered and seems to be working better).

[DIEBL]
Members
34 posts
4,721 battles

Everytime I see Tashkent in ranked I smile knowing my team has a better chance at winning. My Lo Yang loves to hydro smoked Tashkents.

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
6,988 battles

Everytime I see Tashkent in ranked I smile knowing my team has a better chance at winning. My Lo Yang loves to hydro smoked Tashkents.

​Interestingly I came across Tashkents last night in ranked. Of the two games I remember, in one the Tash did well and was among the surviving ships when we won; the other the Tash was the top ranked ship by quite a mile. Good to see she can pull her weight in ranked, but will need to observe further before making the call to swap and try her out. I'm getting better at ranked Benson (won 4/5 last two night in a row) so I'm, in no rush.

I certainly have no fear of hunting one at close range in ranked, but chaos lords have mercy on me if I shoot at something else and a Tash is 10km or so from me; I can dodge most of them and try go dark, but the ones that hit HURT (I think I'm allergic to them, I break out in fires)

Members
528 posts
5,835 battles

I reached Rank5 playing mostly the tashkent.

Give up concealment, go propulsion mod2 and steering gears mod 3.

You need to play like a more agressive kutuzov, smoke your BBs, suport your DDs to get the cap ( dont get the cap yourself, you'll die you need to be a bit behind ), focus on setting BBs on fire and if someone spot a DD switch targuet to him immediately.

After the "early game" learn how to read the map to see if it's safe to get some caps, 49knots is no joke you can change positions really quickly.

I prefer about the tashkent than the kutuzov is that you can get closer, support better your DDs and use your torpedoes to strike smokes.

• Cool 2

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
6,988 battles

I reached Rank5 playing mostly the tashkent.

Give up concealment, go propulsion mod2 and steering gears mod 3.

You need to play like a more agressive kutuzov, smoke your BBs, suport your DDs to get the cap ( dont get the cap yourself, you'll die you need to be a bit behind ), focus on setting BBs on fire and if someone spot a DD switch targuet to him immediately.

After the "early game" learn how to read the map to see if it's safe to get some caps, 49knots is no joke you can change positions really quickly.

I prefer about the tashkent than the kutuzov is that you can get closer, support better your DDs and use your torpedoes to strike smokes.

​Hey! Thank you very much for participating in this thread. Really good to hear from someone who pushed so far with her.

So your strategy is sprint, drift, and dribble basically? Sounds like it'd be a nightmare to shoot at but also requires a bit of learning to handle right. How did you handle situations where you were the sole DD? (yes I can hear the laughter, but as a Benson this has happened to me in ranked a few times already). Do you just abandon cap until a radar lights the enemy DD/Atago?

Members
528 posts
5,835 battles

​Hey! Thank you very much for participating in this thread. Really good to hear from someone who pushed so far with her.

So your strategy is sprint, drift, and dribble basically? Sounds like it'd be a nightmare to shoot at but also requires a bit of learning to handle right. How did you handle situations where you were the sole DD? (yes I can hear the laughter, but as a Benson this has happened to me in ranked a few times already). Do you just abandon cap until a radar lights the enemy DD/Atago?

Yeah, and you need to know when stop shooting if there are too many enemys shooting at you specially Kutuzovs, with this setup you can safely spam HE from inside your smoke and easily avoid incoming torps.

About the caps when you are the lonely DD:

There is always only 2 caps in ranked, 1 of them is always closer to the spawn point of each team, and the other is more far, use you inb4 49knots speed to further cap instead of going fo the closest cap. The enemy DD is most likely to go for the closest cap, but if he goes to the further cap you'll always get there first because of the speed advantage, if he also decide to go to the same cap, you'll need to notice early, so you can turn away to avoid the enemy DD and get the cap which the DD is not going.

You only need to predict or know the position of the enemy DD so you can avoid him and use your speed advantage to get the cap that the enemy DD isn't, if there is something else in the cap like a CA / BB, well, it's kinda your team fault for not pushing while the enemy is pushing, nothing that you could have done.

Edit:

For the capitan skills

BFT

LS

SI

AFT, DE, SE

Edited by Destroyer_Hatsuyuki
  • Cool 1

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
6,988 battles

There is always only 2 caps in ranked, 1 of them is always closer to the spawn point of each team, and the other is more far, use you inb4 49knots speed to further cap instead of going fo the closest cap. The enemy DD is most likely to go for the closest cap, but if he goes to the further cap you'll always get there first because of the speed advantage, if he also decide to go to the same cap, you'll need to notice early, so you can turn away to avoid the enemy DD and get the cap which the DD is not going.

You only need to predict or know the position of the enemy DD so you can avoid him and use your speed advantage to get the cap that the enemy DD isn't, if there is something else in the cap like a CA / BB, well, it's kinda your team fault for not pushing while the enemy is pushing, nothing that you could have done.

Edit:

For the capitan skills

BFT

LS

SI

AFT, DE, SE

Makes sense, I will seriously consider it. Doubloons will be required, so will need to mull it over. Benson is sort of working for me, but I'm just not feeling her guns

Members
94 posts
5,052 battles

I have not played Tashkent in ranked.  But the Tashkent can, sometimes easily, win gunfights against US DDs at medium to longer ranges.  So if I knew for a fact that the other team was going to have four Bensons, I'd be tempted to play a Tashkent.   But Tash is a big target with lousy concealment.  No way around that.   While smoking on the way into the cap before spotting the enemy may not be the best tactic in many cases, or even be monumentally stupid in other cases, a Tashkent may want to do it.  If the cap ticker freezes, you know you have company. 

And that Tashkent AP can be devastating on the squishy cruisers (uh, all cruisers?) or broadside BBs, in addition to the very stronk Russian fire chance.         

[-GPS-]
Members
2,897 posts
34,225 battles

I see a Tashkent as a liability in Ranked except for an extremely skilled player. I'm almost positive that I saw Destroyer_Hatsuyuki in Tashkent.  He was the exception among the Tashkent players I've played with and against. 

I only played this season and last, but it seems like 60-70% of the time the team with the better DDs wins. Better at controlling caps and that means spotting and sinking enemy DDs.  Benson excels in that role. I liked last season with Tier 7 better because there was a real variety of suitable DDs. At Tier 8, the Benson seems like the best choice for 98% of players. 

Members
90 posts
12,492 battles

Tashkent in ranked . . . nah.

The ship is too stiff and non-maneuverable, too big and visible, as well.  Paper-thin armor throughout the ship and geriatric torpedoes that you launch today and find out if they hit tomorrow.  I tried to train a captain a month ahead of time for ranked and planned to use this ship but it simply wasn't happening in random so shelved the idea completely.  In short, Tashkent is not good enough for Tier 8 ranked.

. . . now if Leningrad could be used, that would be a different story . . .