You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Thraxian

What are the best tier 6 and tier 8 ships for ranked season 5?

73 comments in this topic

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
823 posts
10,988 battles

I've looked around, but haven't found a topic for this subject yet, so I thought I'd start one.

I'm thinking for tier 6, some of the the better non-premium ships would be:

New Mexico

Bayern?

Fuso

Cleveland

Mutsuki

Farragut

TIER 8:

Bismarck

Mogami?

Chapayev

Benson (Lo Yang)

What are your thoughts, and what do you recommend for tier 8?

EDIT: Added Cleve and the T8's from the recommendations below. And why do I seem to get CV's in EVERY ranked battle this season?

EDIT1: So I've hit rank 15 already, and it's tier 8 from here. My only 8 right now is the Lo Yang (Without CE). I could retrain my Kagero captain back to the Fubuki, or I could work like a dog on my Farragut to unlock the Mahan, at which point I could free xp to the Benson...

Edited by Thraxian

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

T6: Farragut, Cleveland, Bayern

T8: Benson, Mogami (155), cruisers with radar, Bismarck 

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,615 battles

fuso is my first choice...

NM is great too, up close though....

the Baeyrn hits hard and is hard to CIT, but lacks the Fuso's range...

I tried the MUT, but need to tweek it a bit...

8... My chappy with CE is going to be fun I think.. Soon as I get past 16

Edited by pmgaudio

[RLGN]
Members
19,396 posts
36,204 battles

Being somewhat snarky; 'Bayern the Magic Dragon.'

Seems like its shells penetrate just about anything, and when you try to get close to it like the new way it seems we're being 'encouraged' to do; it breaths fire all over you with secondaries.

For T8 I have no idea. My Atago is a worthless port decoration, (bizarrely I can win in it; but not score the amazing damage totals people brag so much about,) and besides, cruisers will last a bit, then give way to just BBs and DDs again anyway; and I don't have anything else I care to use.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

T6:

• If you have Arizona, look no further. Otherwise New Mexico may be a solid choice DPM-wise but don't show your side or your're dead.
  • Bayern is a strong choice if you enjoy tanking, but her DPM isn't remarkable.
  • Anshan is the strongest choice among DDs, but failing that you can take Farragut.
  • Cleveland or Budyonny can be made to work, but mostly expect to be food.

T8:

I haven't played this tier in Ranked this season (yet). It would seem that Bismarck, Benson and Atago rule.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

T8:

I haven't played this tier in Ranked this season (yet). It would seem that Bismarck, Benson and Atago rule.

I'm kinda doubting that Atago will be strong this season. Atago doesn't have radar like the USN and VMF CAs, nor the long ranged Hydro that the Hipper gets. Its DPM is rather low, with only 3.8 RPM. It gets Repair Party, so i guess that will help it a bit. But in my opinion, 155 Mogami will be a better choice because of the high DPM. 

[SALVO]
Members
28,244 posts
43,664 battles

Tier 6?  If you're any good, it shouldn't even matter, it's so easy.  I went from rank 17 to  15 in a heartbeat with my Arizona and Bayern.  Now, it's tier 8's and world of boring as heck Bensons.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,945 battles

I got up to Rank 15 using only my Cleveland, so I'd definitely recommend using her.  The fact that most maps have the zones situated around islands works in her favor tremendously.

I'm going to be sticking with AmagiMogami, and New Orleans for the T8 portion.  NO's radar (and how I play her) will probably be useful in a DD-heavy meta, and 155 Mogami melts the faces off of DDs.  I've only got the Amagi for T8 BBs (otherwise I'd use Bismarck because 10.6km secondaries and German hydro) and Shokaku as a last resort (if I absolutely cannot make progress in any other ship I might try using her), and I'm not particularly looking forward to seeing how badly the Amagi got powercreeped. North Carolina needed the buffs she got, but it wasn't until Bismarck came into the picture that Amagi definitively lost her reigning spot.

Edited by TenguBlade

[SALVO]
Members
28,244 posts
43,664 battles

T8:

I'm kinda doubting that Atago will be strong this season. Atago doesn't have radar like the USN and VMF CAs, nor the long ranged Hydro that the Hipper gets. Its DPM is rather low, with only 3.8 RPM. It gets Repair Party, so i guess that will help it a bit. But in my opinion, 155 Mogami will be a better choice because of the high DPM. 

The problem with cruiser radar is that you have to get so damned close that you'll get massacred if you try it early in the battle.  I did it once in my Chappy.  Never again.  Regardless of the fact that it has good radar, the Chappy just isn't meant to be that close to the front lines.  Next time I played my Chappy, I did 75k damage (more than half of it fire damage) in a close game that ended as a loss, sadly. 

I have no problem using the Atago.  It may not fire quickly, but it hits hard and has good torps.  And is a premium, so you can put in a great cruiser captain if you have one.  And I do.

[SALVO]
Members
28,244 posts
43,664 battles

I got up to Rank 15 using only my Cleveland, so I'd definitely recommend using her.  The fact that most maps have the zones situated around islands works in her favor tremendously.

I'm going to be sticking with AmagiMogami, and New Orleans for the T8 portion.  NO's radar (and how I play her) will probably be useful in a DD-heavy meta, and 155 Mogami melts the faces off of DDs.  I've only got the Amagi for T8 BBs (otherwise I'd use Bismarck because 10.6km secondaries and German hydro) and Shokaku as a last resort (if I absolutely cannot make progress in any other ship I might try using her), and I'm not particularly looking forward to seeing how badly the Amagi got powercreeped. North Carolina needed the buffs she got, but it wasn't until Bismarck came into the picture that Amagi definitively lost her reigning spot.

Tengu, the Amagi may not have the amazing secondaries of the Bismarck, but it still have very accuracy guns that can do excellent damage, particularly if you end up on a team with some other BB's that you can work with (and behind).  But you will see a LOT of Bismarcks and Tirpitz's. 

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

I only got 3 tier 6 games :sceptic: Beyern the omnipen fire breathing dime turning rootin tootin monster would be my first pick (and was)

Tier 6 is incredibly well balanced IMHO so if you do well in the ship, the ship is fine.

For tier 8, this depends more on captains. But Bismarck is the true monster the beyern wanted to be. NCs have been stomping. Anything other than the NO is great for cruisers but with hipper being the lowest on that list.

As for DDs, the 3 tashkents I've seen where all top of the team after we beat them. There are Bensons for days, and Fubuki is very good for sounding out smoke. I have never seen a CV.

Edited by X15

[HEROS]
Members
2,094 posts
19,494 battles

There is no "Best" ship.   How well a ship performs depends entirely on the player running it.  It depends on how it is fitted out.  I depends upon the commander skills selected.  

Player skill counts for more then the ship.   

Members
35 posts
2,366 battles

There is no "Best" ship.   How well a ship performs depends entirely on the player running it.  It depends on how it is fitted out.  I depends upon the commander skills selected.  

Player skill counts for more then the ship.   

Oddly enough, I'm running AS Ryujo without ANY captain skills...

Members
1,840 posts
2,716 battles

The best gunboat destroyer you have access too.  That's the Pan-Asian DDs followed closely by the US DDs if you're wondering.:yes_cap:

The VMF DDs seem less optimal in ranked, as they're not ideal close range knife fighters.  Anshan's saving grace is her speed and versatility, being able to both stealth torp and invisifire with ease once set up properly.

BBs are also viable, with the Bayern and Bismarck being the preferred ships from what I've gathered.  The Arizona is also a favorite it seems.  I've heard less saying they'll use the Dunkerque but it's not without its fans.

I'd steer away from cruisers personally, aside from a stealth build Atago perhaps.

Also search is your friend.  There really is a lot of these threads.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

The problem with cruiser radar is that you have to get so damned close that you'll get massacred if you try it early in the battle.  I did it once in my Chappy.  Never again.  Regardless of the fact that it has good radar, the Chappy just isn't meant to be that close to the front lines.  Next time I played my Chappy, I did 75k damage (more than half of it fire damage) in a close game that ended as a loss, sadly. 

I have no problem using the Atago.  It may not fire quickly, but it hits hard and has good torps.  And is a premium, so you can put in a great cruiser captain if you have one.  And I do.

Radar range isn't all that bad, because DDs will be on the front lines, and the BBs will be much further away. If Mogami's Hydro with 4.4 km range is long enough for hunting destroyers, radar definitely is. 

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
823 posts
10,988 battles

Also search is your friend.  There really is a lot of these threads.

Not for season 5, there aren't.

The threads for season 4 discuss tier 7 ships over tier 6, and with the recent patches, some things may have changed, so my statement remains.

Members
177 posts
1,304 battles

I've only got access to the Mutsuki (my farragut is stock), and i was reasonably successful. This noob scrublord managed 62.5% wr and 1500 wtr. So in T6 ranked, wasd hacking is unknown and Mutsuki is straight up OP.

Edited by Tordenskiold

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,337 battles

I've looked around, but haven't found a topic for this subject yet, so I thought I'd start one.

I'm thinking for tier 6, some of the the better non-premium ships would be:

New Mexico

Bayern?

Fuso

Cleveland

Mutsuki

Farragut

TIER 8:

Bismarck

Mogami?

Chapayev

Benson (Lo Yang)

What are your thoughts, and what do you recommend for tier 8?

EDIT: Added Cleve and the T8's from the recommendations below. And why do I seem to get CV's in EVERY ranked battle this season?

f4tdWm3.jpg

If this isn't the 5th or 6th thread we've had on this discussion.

[NBNG]
Beta Testers
1,660 posts
5,014 battles

i havent played this season yet, but last season i did well with the Warspite. 

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
823 posts
10,988 battles

If this isn't the 5th or 6th thread we've had on this discussion.

Thanks for contributing NOTHING to the discussion, except increasing your post count.
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,337 battles

Thanks for contributing NOTHING to the discussion, except increasing your post count.

No I contributed to it. Telling people there are numerous threads about this already(which I have already contributed to thankyou) and you're just doing a retread. AGAIN.

So actually this thread brought nothing new and was a complete waste of time.

Thanks good day.

• Cool 1

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
823 posts
10,988 battles

No I contributed to it. Telling people there are numerous threads about this already(which I have already contributed to thankyou) and you're just doing a retread. AGAIN.

So actually this thread brought nothing new and was a complete waste of time.

Thanks good day.

Yup, increasing his post count and being toxic. Nice way to contribute to the community.