You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JanusSaibot

How popular is this game with women?

46 comments in this topic

[NWNG]
Members
88 posts
8,417 battles

It registered while I was playing today that I picture in my head opponents ships being controlled by guys like 16 to 30 years old. I thought it was kind of funny that my brain automatically assumed this. I've seen studies that say gaming is equal among the sexes, but, I'm curious about this game.

[SPTR]
Members
20,152 posts
6,159 battles

LittleWhiteMouse, our best ship reviewer, is a female. Nuff' said.

Also, I'm fourteen. So yeah.

• Cool 1

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

"Some studies say gaming is equal among sexes". Even if that's true- which it may or may not be- it definitely depends on the genre.

[NWNG]
Members
88 posts
8,417 battles

LittleWhiteMouse, our best ship reviewer, is a female. Nuff' said.

Also, I'm fourteen. So yeah.

Well yeah. I kinda realized it wasn't accurate.

"Some studies say gaming is equal among sexes". Even if that's true- which it may or may not be- it definitely depends on the genre.

"depends on the genre" - That's likely true.

[SYN]
Members
15,614 posts
12,778 battles

There's no doubt that WoWs appeals more to men.

I would guess 1~10% are female players.

But since I'm not an expert, for all I know, WoWs' population is 99% female gamers, aged between 0 and 110.

Members
3,064 posts
1,923 battles

It registered while I was playing today that I picture in my head opponents ships being controlled by guys like 16 to 30 years old. I thought it was kind of funny that my brain automatically assumed this. I've seen studies that say gaming is equal among the sexes, but, I'm curious about this game.

more popular than statistics would seem to indicate.

One of our most beloved Players on this forum, LWM, is female.

Not that she hides it though, as I suspect some do.

I'm guilty as much as anyone for stereotyping this game's players as all 10-70 year-old males.

However, I have seen this is clearly wrong.

I've had funny moments where I realized that the best player on our team was female, funny because until that moment I had assumed it was just yet another male with a semi-female alias.

Although, I will say most women here(and girls, if there really are such creatures hiding in this mancave) tend to be nerds. LWM admits on her profile page to being one.

:hiding:

[SPTR]
Members
20,152 posts
6,159 battles

more popular than statistics would seem to indicate.

One of our most beloved Players on this forum, LWM, is female.

Not that she hides it though, as I suspect some do.

I'm guilty as much as anyone for stereotyping this game's players as all 10-70 year-old males.

However, I have seen this is clearly wrong.

I've had funny moments where I realized that the best player on our team was female, funny because until that moment I had assumed it was just yet another male with a semi-female alias.

Although, I will say most women here(and girls, if there really are such creatures hiding in this mancave) tend to be nerds. LWM admits on her profile page to being one.

^this. Depends on genre, yes.

although I must say, girls (1-18 years old) probably is a very, VERY tiny number. I'd say 5-6 on ALL the servers. 

[IN3PT]
Beta Testers
1,703 posts
6,419 battles

As we're on the forums, and most of us forumites have gone on at least one "because history!" rant at something WG has done... I'd wager the greater fraction of all of us here are nerds :P

• Cool 2

[GNSQD]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,746 posts
2,246 battles

Of course... Nobody will ever expect a pack of mint cigarettes to be the one behind the keyboard... I mean -ahem- Yeah, I think a lot of us think the same.

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
5,523 posts
6,085 battles

[PVE]
Members
1,709 posts
7,766 battles

It would be interesting to know what the numbers are, just to satisfy my own curiosity, I do know that while I was heavily involved with WOT for several years, there were quite a few females in that game and some of the better players were female and most in the game did not realize it or know it.

One of the things that I hope does not happen in this game as it did on WOT, is that quite a few females did not divulge that they are female simply because of harassment issues, it did happen over there, and I certainly hope it does not happen here. Out of everything that takes place within these games, harassing someone because of their gender is in my mind the most childish thing someone can do.

Beta Testers
1,011 posts
4,569 battles

lol nice joke and im a lady too 24yrld

Beta Testers
1,011 posts
4,569 battles

I uh.... didn't make a joke... though?

i know .w. wot player base are kkid's but wth that whinging theput can out a dress and makeup and no one will notice .w. !

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Yeah, i often find myself referring to all players as "he". But since i don't have the time to type he/she or his/hers all the time, i just stick with it. 

[OTG]
Beta Testers
592 posts
9,020 battles

It would be interesting to know what the numbers are, just to satisfy my own curiosity, I do know that while I was heavily involved with WOT for several years, there were quite a few females in that game and some of the better players were female and most in the game did not realize it or know it.

One of the things that I hope does not happen in this game as it did on WOT, is that quite a few females did not divulge that they are female simply because of harassment issues, it did happen over there, and I certainly hope it does not happen here. Out of everything that takes place within these games, harassing someone because of their gender is in my mind the most childish thing someone can do.

only losers rage on women.  literally

"During the experiment, researchers tracked the comments players made to one another during the interactive game, and found that across the board, men of varying skill levels were always pretty kind to other male players. When male players were good, they even tended to be complimentary toward both their fellow male and female players. But if a man was worse at the game than his peers, he was more likely to make mean-spirited comments toward female gamers."

http://www.medicaldaily.com/sexism-losers-game-men-who-are-unskilled-video-games-more-likely-be-sexist-344098

Side note: I think the average age of gamers overall is 31 in this game I imagine its older than that.

Edited by Ujenele
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,758 posts
2,134 battles

Honestly, while I admit I'd be curious as to how many, I tend to not care about people's gender. U don't compare ability to play with gender, it really just never made sense in my mind.

And I usually just refer to people by username(forum or in-game), or by ship(in game), bc he/she is to vague and often gets confusing.

I'm not going to lie, my first reaction when I see many an avatar and username with an anime girl is to assume female, though I know better XD

[CRANE]
Supertester
9,505 posts
3,425 battles

Honestly, while I admit I'd be curious as to how many, I tend to not care about people's gender. U don't compare ability to play with gender, it really just never made sense in my mind.

And I usually just refer to people by username(forum or in-game), or by ship(in game), bc he/she is to vague and often gets confusing.

I'm not going to lie, my first reaction when I see many an avatar and username with an anime girl is to assume female, though I know better XD

That's a dangerous thing to do around here haha

Have to say I'm curious as well though. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

There is also a kitsune that plays this game. Only one that I know of as well... :hiding:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
1,901 battles

One of the best perks about signing in anonymously is being able to stalk other's profiles without revealing just how much of a stalker you actually are...:hiding:

I've clicked pretty much every profile on here at some point, and it's come as a surprise how many claim to be female.  More than I would've expected at least.

There is also a kitsune that plays this game. Only one that I know of as well... :hiding:

JZYwRuq.jpg 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

One of the best perks about signing in anonymously is being able to stalk other's profiles without revealing just how much of a stalker you actually are...:hiding:

I've clicked pretty much every profile on here at some point, and it's come as a surprise how many claim to be female.  More than I would've expected at least.

JZYwRuq.jpg 

Holy crap, how'd you find a picture of me!? :ohmy:

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,080 posts
5,193 battles

I'm probably guessing that we have a few women players, but they hide their identities to avoid harassment (which does happen).  That being said, it'll probably depend how many girls are fans of naval combat / WW2 naval history...and I saw a decent number of girl players in footage taken for WoWS Asia via the Puka Puka Fleet debriefing.

[SNAP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
151 posts
4,469 battles

I think a lot of the time women aren't really hiding their gender so much as it just tends to not come up.  Nobody can tell who you are in-game when all they see of you is a username and a ship class, and on the forums it's not like gender gets mentioned much when we're talking about game mechanics and naval history.

I did actually get clocked as a woman once in-game though, when I was playing with a friend who also has a feminine username.  The guy tried to hit on us after he'd watched us humiliate a pair of enemy battleships in our Gremyaschys, and I guess he noticed we had feminine names.  Too bad for him we're both taken, and plus my friend is a 50 year old lesbian, so he didn't stand a chance . :P