You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Fr05ty

Fr05ty's ADLA attempt: O class Battlecruisers

11 comments in this topic

Members
516 posts
4,378 battles

Hello and welcome again! As you know, I'll be posting an article on a different battlecruiser every Wednesday (for the aptly named Battlecruiser Wednesdays) over at ShipComrade. I'll always post a small blurb on each article here and you can comment the articles here as well (just make sure to read them in full). 

Battlecruiser Wednesdays: O class

Welcome to the fourth article from our Battlecruiser Wednesdays cycle! We'll be taking a look at a different battlecruiser design each wednesday and analysing how it could be implemented in-game by using our familiar "A Detailed Look At" format.

This week: I'll be taking a look at the O class, the only class of battlecruisers ever designed by the Nazis. The O class was designed to raid enemy convoys to win the logistics war and force enemies into splitting their naval forces. In order to achieve such objectives, the O class were faster than any other cruiser in the Kriegsmarine and indeed would have been the fastest battlecruisers in the world. The O class were a combination of large guns and high speed that could have caused serious issues to the supply lines to Europe during World War 2.

Step inside, read the article to see just how the O's would stack up in-game and let us know what you think of these class making its way into the game!

Shim.gif

Everybody's welcome to comment, critique and provide their opinions but please just keep it civil and enjoy!!

- Fr05ty

• Cool 2

Members
337 posts
4,434 battles

+1 :)

The only thing I'd say is leave the Catapult Fighter off if it's going to be T6, and let my precious Dunkerque stay unique in that regard.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,313 posts
18,914 battles

Tricky one to tier though I think 6 is about right.

At 7 she trades a bit of speed for a whole lot of armor, HP AA and secondaries on the Gneisenau. Not a good deal on the face of it.

At 6 she has the guns of a T7, is another ship with overmatch 15in's there, and is a Dunkerque with about the same armor, far superior speed, more useful secondaries, better AA, more HP, torpedoes (another one...) and 15in guns. I don't think Dunkerque is that good, and she does have advantages in turret placement and number of barrels but overall that's excessive.

Introducing a battlecruiser with a significant speed advantage over cruisers not just the 0.5 kt of Iowa over some, but 2.5 or 3kt at that tier could also be groundbreaking in a bad way.

If you were to make her a T6 I might consider losing the torpedoes for balancing reasons. By charging a BB at 35kts, angling and then torping she's even more dangerous I'd say to the 14in T6's than the 16in T7's.

But just my $0.02.

Members
516 posts
4,378 battles

Tricky one to tier though I think 6 is about right.

At 7 she trades a bit of speed for a whole lot of armor, HP AA and secondaries on the Gneisenau. Not a good deal on the face of it.

At 6 she has the guns of a T7, is another ship with overmatch 15in's there, and is a Dunkerque with about the same armor, far superior speed, more useful secondaries, better AA, more HP, torpedoes (another one...) and 15in guns. I don't think Dunkerque is that good, and she does have advantages in turret placement and number of barrels but overall that's excessive.

Introducing a battlecruiser with a significant speed advantage over cruisers not just the 0.5 kt of Iowa over some, but 2.5 or 3kt at that tier could also be groundbreaking in a bad way.

If you were to make her a T6 I might consider losing the torpedoes for balancing reasons. By charging a BB at 35kts, angling and then torping she's even more dangerous I'd say to the 14in T6's than the 16in T7's.

But just my $0.02.

Compared to the Dunkerque:

- Worse accuracy at range which means you need to get close to hit anything reliably, and with that armour and size... Not a great idea

- 45mm thinner belt armour which is a BIG difference as you won't be bouncing anything a battleship fires at you unless you get really lucky. Also, the Dunkerque's armour is inclined so it's a bit more effective than its thickness would suggest.

Those are 2 massive points.

And for what it'd mean at tier 6, all battleship guns will make mincemeat out of the O class' armour and whenever she's spotted (should pretty much happen all the time with her size), she'll be focused to kingdom come. Doubt she'd have a great rudder shift time, and she would've a massive turning circle.

Think she'd work at tier 6, and a bunch of soft stats can be padded to ensure she does if she overperforms. She'd be woefully inadequate at T7 for sure.

Edited by Fr05ty

[WBLDG]
Beta Testers
373 posts
4,121 battles

This ship is remarkably similar to the Renown, trading 2.5kt of speed for better armor. The O class was also pretty odd as German battlecruisers go.

Members
516 posts
4,378 battles

This ship is remarkably similar to the Renown, trading 2.5kt of speed for better armor. The O class was also pretty odd as German battlecruisers go.

Renown vs O class would be quite interesting. The Renown's guns are much better for sniping and it has thicker armour to protect it while the O class is faster by quite a bit (4kts), has better turret traverse and rate of fire on the guns.

Wish we could get that matchup, German BC vs RN BC for the superiority on the high seas!

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Think she'd work at tier 6, and a bunch of soft stats can be padded to ensure she does if she overperforms. She'd be woefully inadequate at T7 for sure.

Depends on how WG handles her fantasy final hull upgrades.  I mean, they managed to make the low-tier KM BBs fit in with a fantasy hull setup.

As-is, she'd be a stock T6 as troubled as Fuso is at stock.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,313 posts
18,914 battles

Compared to the Dunkerque:

- Worse accuracy at range which means you need to get close to hit anything reliably, and with that armour and size... Not a great idea

- 45mm thinner belt armour which is a BIG difference as you won't be bouncing anything a battleship fires at you unless you get really lucky. Also, the Dunkerque's armour is inclined so it's a bit more effective than its thickness would suggest.

Those are 2 massive points.

Good points. I did the thought experiment of 'would the Gneisenau with Dunkerque's guns and arrangement be better than current G?' and concluded it would be deliciously nasty. Although the Dunkers' lack the same pen, they are a nice weapons suite. I need to get back ashore and progress the German tree (not been keen given the horde at low tiers).

45mm and inclination is more than I'd first thought.

Members
2,518 posts

These would have been even more of an absolute waste of resources than the Scharnhorsts. 

Post WW1 - The Germans really did have a talent for getting as little out of their tonnage as possible. 

Edited by why_u_heff_to_be_mad

[WBLDG]
Beta Testers
373 posts
4,121 battles

These would have been even more of an absolute waste of resources than the Scharnhorsts. 

Post WW1 - The Germans really did have a talent for getting as little out of their tonnage as possible. 

Left without employment for decades there weren't a lot of naval designers by the time they were needed and it shows.