Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CapnCappy

Beginner CV questions

30 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

1. How do I get better at manual dropped torpedoes? I seem to be placing them too close or too far away. And USN v IJN torps are vastly different. I hate the IJN converging drop.

2. I see in videos guys rotating their attack angle on manual drops. I take it they removed these from game?

3. When you're uptiered against a US CV, what is a good strategy to keep your planes alive? Just try and be on the areas of the map that he is not?

4. What is my priority in battle? Do I go after easy damage like BBs? Do I try and snipe the CV? Do I spend time trying to kill the DDs?

5.. Do you get frustrated when you spot the only enemy DD the ENTIRE MATCH and eventually it's just you v him and you have to try and kill him? (We ended up exchanging torpedoes)

The match I'm most proud of so far is a coop where it was just me and a BB as humans. 4 kills in a Langley is hard to do.

WYRrAa1.jpg

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

1. Practice, practice, practice, also probably focus on 1 line over the other since they are so different, once you feel comfortable with one you can then learn the other

2. I think you can still do it but usually there isnt enough time or distance, that is why the approach angle is so important before you commit to the drop

3. Pretty much, or bait into really good allied AA if available

4. Go after targets that you can reliably hit and that are threatening allies and within a reasonable distance for you to keep up your strikes at a good clip, like wasting 8 minutes to try to snipe the enemy CV and failing is not the best strategy oftentimes

5. Ugh that can really suck, especially when you are calling the DD out and people are shooting at further away targets to only get torped by the DD you spotted for the last 5 minutes

Keep at it, the gameplay is just so different it takes a while to get a good feel for how it works and overcoming the subpar UI.

[-KIA-]
Members
5,244 posts
16,381 battles

Hey, play USN Strike carrier before those AS Bogue scrubs at Tier 5 convince you otherwise.  You will do tons of damage.

[BLNCE]
Members
2,293 posts
7,632 battles

Manual drop torps becomes pretty easy once you get the hang of it. How far in front of the ship is much more important than how close to the ship you drop (how far the torps must travel). I would start the drop back maybe the full length of a BB from their hull then just gradually get closer. For a 6 plane drop if you are landing 3-4 torps you are doing very well.

It's also important with Dive bombers to use manual drop on BB's. Come at them from the front and a manual drop is 4+ auto hits if they don't turn to avoid you.

Don't count out cruisers ether. You can sink them. If they are alone and you have a good angle - go for them. Only need 2-3 torps to sink them and even with DFAA you should be able to get 1 or 2 with a proper drop.

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

1. Use coop, the bots usually sail mostly straight so you can get distance and lead down. I think many of them sail at 3/4-1/2 speed tho.

Also you won't lose money here, especially at low tier.

2. There's an arrow on the plane end of the drop thing, you can click and drag it to move the circle around its center point. I've never used it.

3. Tail your teams higher tier carrier's planes and if they engage then give them support. For your strike you can either try to keep them away from fighters or group up with up tier CV's planes for cover.

4. DDs, spot them and when you're comfortable manual dropping you can kill them with torpedoes and bombs. At tier 4-6 excluding Cleveland you have a great shot at killing cruisers. I usually put BBs last on the list because they are easy targets and very susceptible to fire and flooding. Excluding Texas and Gnisenapple it isn't until tier 8 when BB AA becomes higher damage than cruisers.  

5. I feel you, but pay attention to islands that may be giving that DD cover from direct fire and don't be afraid to press F3 more than once. Also  a DD is charging you, point the other way and run while you burn him with bombers and slow him with torpedoes or just blow him up completely. The auto inclusion of situational awareness can give you some advance warning.

[RQL]
Members
65 posts
16,219 battles

Here is one I wish I had learned earlier, don't take dogfighting expert, take the one that makes torpedos travel faster instead, you will be playing mostly strike loadouts anyways, and when you do have fighters their job is to pin the other guys fighters to protect your torpedo bombers anyways. Most of your damage comes from torps.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

1. How do I get better at manual dropped torpedoes? I seem to be placing them too close or too far away. And USN v IJN torps are vastly different. I hate the IJN converging drop.

2. I see in videos guys rotating their attack angle on manual drops. I take it they removed these from game?

3. When you're uptiered against a US CV, what is a good strategy to keep your planes alive? Just try and be on the areas of the map that he is not?

4. What is my priority in battle? Do I go after easy damage like BBs? Do I try and snipe the CV? Do I spend time trying to kill the DDs?

5.. Do you get frustrated when you spot the only enemy DD the ENTIRE MATCH and eventually it's just you v him and you have to try and kill him? (We ended up exchanging torpedoes)

The match I'm most proud of so far is a coop where it was just me and a BB as humans. 4 kills in a Langley is hard to do.

WYRrAa1.jpg

Quit CVs before it's too late. They're completely useless once you get past the Langley because everyone runs AS loadouts which will mow down your strike loadouts and make sure you do no damage and destroy your computer in a fit of seething rage.
  • Cool 1

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

Usually the way I see it, CVs drop a high HP ship to a low HP ship or kill a medium HP ship. DBs are best manual dropped, and torps the same way, but give yourself some room for the torps to arm.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Nah, don't quit... but I wouldn't put any coins into moving up the line either... do 50 or 100 coop games in a carrier so you are really familiar with the interface, what they can and cannot do... it helps all other gameplay.

I was originally going to play carriers strictly in coop but then determined i needed the slot so I sold it. Still have the commander tho :-) 

[RQL]
Members
65 posts
16,219 battles

CVs are viable up to tier vii. Any higher and every ship you face has too much AA.

100 games I'm coop sounds like torture lol.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

I got pretty good at manual drop torps.

Then with the recent patch, I couldn't hit a darned thing.

The torps either went under, or became sooooo slow that the enemy ship could dance around them.

...  I suspect a new level of RNG was incorporated.  I am hesitant to short drop these day -- wasted Waaaaay to many torps in the last few weeks.

On a bad mission (bad RNG), if I dropped the torps any closer than auto-drop, they pass under the ship.  This is OK for the Cleveland and Texas since I manually drop them long anyway.

On one Co-Op mission, my Fast Torp captain skill was switched off on me.  NOTE:  This skill must be practiced if you change it for manual drops - it changes everything.

... so my torps passed behind the enemy ship, and crawled on forever, -- sinking a no-health friendly who was closing in from around an island.

Nice RNG pink for me - and I bought him a Smith DD for his troubles.

And so my story today is that they added new problems to manual drop.  You're not imagining your problems.

There are also all the existing problems of carrier work (like staying alive) so I only manual drop when I have the time.

Never overlook the option that auto-drop might be the best choice when things get real hectic.  You've got to keep those planes moving.

One mission I was the low tier Ryuho.

After the initial scouting, and surviving the enemy snipe attack, I just randomly auto-dropped all my planes on different enemy ships.

Enemy ships broke through the left flank and I was sailing backwards  - away from them to keep from showing broadside.

I was fighting tier 8 so I lost a lot of planes.  The enemy CV was using the fighter sweep, but I kept my planes separated, so the enemy fighters ran out of ammo.

Fortunately, the friendly high tier CV saw this and took out the enemy fighter groups after they ran out of ammo.... CV seal clubbing an unarmed enemy... love it.

I see all these comments here about these wonderful techniques for manual drops -- only effective if you have time, sir.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

One follow-up question. How important is it to get the T5 captain skill Air Superiority? I could move a DD captain into my CV line on USN and am already almost there on the IJN line.

I have noticed at T4 CVs, I either battle a complete novice (and cream him) or I battle a complete seal clubber (who creams me). Very little in between at tier 4.

The frustration level on CVs seems a lot higher too. I have a game where I take out the enemy CV early and easily and we lose. Meanwhile, we have a game where the enemy CV completely murders my planes and we win. Still, is interesting to play. I need to watch a bunch of Flamu's videos and he seems really good at CVs.

[_REKT]
Members
490 posts
4,096 battles

One follow-up question. How important is it to get the T5 captain skill Air Superiority? I could move a DD captain into my CV line on USN and am already almost there on the IJN line.

I have noticed at T4 CVs, I either battle a complete novice (and cream him) or I battle a complete seal clubber (who creams me). Very little in between at tier 4.

The frustration level on CVs seems a lot higher too. I have a game where I take out the enemy CV early and easily and we lose. Meanwhile, we have a game where the enemy CV completely murders my planes and we win. Still, is interesting to play. I need to watch a bunch of Flamu's videos and he seems really good at CVs.

T5 can make a big difference in the ability to win fighter duels - the bomber upgrade is nice and all and helps the dbs, but it's effect is really obvious on the fighters.  I've played at T9 without it, and it definitely has an effect on caution and how I project my planes, but I've done well without it - (Note: I play IJN, so I'm used to being outnumbered by USN groups)

Members
842 posts
9,792 battles

Pretty f****** important. The extra fighter can be the difference between killing a opposing fighter squadron + Catapults and losing the squadron.

Correct.

Flamu is decent at CVs, but his clanmate strangers123 is a better CV player. He can be salty though.

• Cool 1

[RQL]
Members
65 posts
16,219 battles

attacking the other cv early is usually a mistake. It takes too much time and costs too many planes. However it's sometimes,necessary if they went with fighter heavy load out.

Members
842 posts
9,792 battles
  1. Figure out the arming distance with/without TA. Drop from an almost textbook right angle, coming slightly from the rear of the target.
  2. You can still do that, but it's not very efficient. Just reposition and redo the drop.
  3. Either that or snipe, although the Bogue can kill an idiotic amount of planes for its tier.
  4. Your priority changes depending on the situation. You be the judge.
  5. No, because I can just kill him.

Jpzqvc1.jpg

Edited by CarefreeTongue

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,045 posts

I don't even bother to do manual drops.   Criss-crossing torpedoes is working for me.   Get them turning then I guess I could manual drop the other one where they are turning to.  Its working for me right now.  Bites though when its 2 CVs per side and IJN gets to go against two Langleys.

Members
738 posts
6,483 battles

1. Manual dropping is just a matter of practice. No better substitute. Download Aslain's Training Room mod, put up 12 Wyomings or 12 Kumas or something, and go to town. Rinse and repeat. 

2. Rotating the angle and even moving the drop aim circle is possible. Honestly I've never tried to move the circle, but it becomes necessary when ships are near the border of map. Just do a manual drop anywhere on the ocean. Then click and move it around. 

3. Yes. When enemy has Fighter superiority, your job is to avoid his fighters at all costs. You do not engage unless you have to, and if you have to, use strafe then lock them up. 

4. It'll become clearer with experience. Your priority targets are: 

Top Priority: Anything that is a threat to your carrier. For example, any ship that is close to your detection range. 

Then: Anything that does not have good AA or good AA support. This means, any lone BBs, and if those are not available, go after DDs. Chose targets on the flank of battle that needs it the most. If you have 2 teammates fighting 5 ships and 8 team mates fighting 2 ships, guess who you should try to help?

Second to last priority: BBs with strong AA or CVs with strong AA. You do not target Lexingtons, Iowas, North Carolinas, Montanas, as first choice. 

Last priority: cruisers with strong AA. Umm....your last target in the game should be a Des Moines. 

5. Only spot DDs that YOU decide to spot. Give your team 5 seconds to shoot at it. If they dont, move on. 

EDIT:

At high tiers, the meta is for CVs to target DDs. This is somewhat difficult to do, and if you miss, you will waste a lot of time and resources. And even if you hit, you will get low dmg, but high XP, and most importantly you will guarantee a win for your team. Taking out DDs is the easiest way to win games at high tier. 

But, if you want to farm damage, targeting BBs is also viable. 

Edited by lord_of_storms

Wiki Editor
344 posts
19,236 battles

I havent decided to make a leap onto a CV line.  I give them a try during PTS events.  The challenge for me is visually seeing the batlefield. Is the full map resizable to see the whole field of battle? 

[GLHF]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,562 battles

1. Pratice. The converging drop are awesome if you know use. 

2. Not, still work, like rotate in automatic drop.

3. Strafe, and go where he not is.

4. - Damage BBs

- Kill DDs

- Spot DDs and ijn CLs

- Make BBs expose the cidadel for allys

- Protect the team with fighters

- Kill the other CV

- Kill the CLs

5. Yes, you can use F3 to mark the dd as targer for allys too, spanw the F3 if you need.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
4,964 battles

Most of the points mentioned are quite solid information but here's some additional things that have come in handy for myself. 

• Keep moving if you notice or expect a Linebreaker. For the most part at lower tiers it's quite normal for the fleet to move 30% one side and 70% the opposite. Once you notice which direction the Main Body is heading move towards their general location, factoring in concealment to how close you're comfortable. Hiding behind Islands and Land masses is great protection but those don't shoot back at Destroyers. 
  • WASD works in Flight Cam. Auto-Pilot is great and all when it comes to moving in and around small islands while also microing planes but if your APM can handle it drive manually VIA the minimap. If you're being pursued by the DD it may save your ship from enemy shells and torpedoes. Also pressing 'Shift' or whichever key you have assigned, should put you into the 'Ship Cam' making those torp dodges more accurate. You're a Ship Captain First, CAG Second (Commander Air Group). Sidenote: If you can master 'Drive by Mini-Map' it'll help your effectiveness with other ships because you're less hindered by 'Tunnel Vision' from the gun camera. 
  • Strike and Return Vectors. Going back to the 30-70 split my 1st Strike wave will normally support the weaker side to hopefully soften them up to give them a better fighting chance. The mere presence of bombers coming in from a strong angle has the potential to force a ship to turn broadside or steer off target from your teammates. Return Vectors are fickle things, a driect line to you're ship highlights your general location. It also has the potential to reveal friendly destroyers if you're being chased by fighters. 
    • While revealing friendly destroyers remember that DD's have 2 roles that they are probably undertaking. 1) Fleet Spotter, traveling with and around the main fleet for anti-DD combat and Target acquisition for the CA/CL's and BB's. 2) Raider/Flanker, traveling far ahead or far flanking away from the main force. These are the DD's that toggle AA off and never turn it back on and nag you for a FTR squadron to support them. 
    • The latter is where you don't want your return vectors flying over because if they get spotted by planes your error made their job a lot tougher especially if the enemy CV sits a Squadron on top of them. 
    • The former isn't so bad a return vector, the reason for that is knowledge of a DD in the area is probably quite high simply from the ranges of incoming fire. A DD acting as a spotter/screen for the main force can always retreat to the Cruisers for AA suport. There is also the high probability your fighters are already within the area as a CAP.
  • Ideally the best Approach Vector is one where you won't get intercepted the least amount without revealing team movement AND the best Return Vector is the one forcing the Interceptors through a gauntlet of surface AA or a fighter ambush; again doing your best to conceal fleet moments. 
  • Finally is target Priority which has been mentioned in previous posts. At lower tiers you can hammer Cruisers and BB's with impunity in Random battles at the focus the game is at right now only the odd ship has DF, as most are running HaS, but you still need to be aware of Cat-Fighters. IF you notice a DF proc it might be in your best interest to break off for a minute or two because your planes are your life. If you can ID which cruiser or possibly DD proc'ed notify your team to focus on that target. Once the DF Cruisers are gone things get much easier. 
  • Going to the 'keep moving' point it's not necessarily translate to "never sit behind an island" it means be aware of your team's location. There might be a super safe island to hide behind at A1 but if your whole team is clustered around F7 that's a lot of room around them for a DD to break the line and rush your CV for an easy kill because your teammates are to far away to save you. 

Yeah it's a big wall of text and it's not perfect but some things need longer explanations. Hope this helps you out in learning how to take a more Aggressive Stance with a Carrier. The closer you are to the front without being spotted gives your planes the fastest time to land, reload, and launch. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

WYRrAa1.jpg

1.) Honestly, with the US, the torpedo arming distance is about 1-2 km. In other words, very close to the ship, but not right on-top of them. Give the ship 3 ships-widths at least between your manual drop spot and the target. You can also fudge a little farther on the lead if you're worried about it being too far-out.

2.) No, but it's very hard to do in a small window of time. You click the little icon on the outside of the dashed circle and drag it, just like changing the angle of an auto-drop.

3.) There are 2. Try to avoid/strafe (alt+click) his/her fighters, or kill him/her outright (AKA: the Strike method of Air Supremacy).

4.) Kill BBs and cruisers. DDs are hard to get; if you have the chance, you can spot them for your team, but don't try to kill them at low-tiers except for practice or when they threaten you. Plus, DDs aren't worth in points the time it takes to kill them. If you can, snipe the enemy CV as well, but your main goal is to force those BBs and CLs/CAs out of position, killing them/crippling them and exposing their citadels to your team by forcing them to dodge torps.

5.) Yes.

[SIMNZ]
Members
767 posts
7,551 battles

My best advice is: if you suck that bad, keep playing. In good time, you will suck less and less. For priority targets, I go after battleships, aircraft carriers, or anything on low health or by itself. If you're running a strike loadout and the enemy CV is running air superiority, as soon as you find him--kill him as quickly, with as few strikes, as possible. Your life will be easier that way. 

For DDs, taking them out takes practice. My first kill in a CV was on a DD, with my secondaries, after my friends took most of his health off. I don't go after them now, but I might start trying soon. 

Talking about manual drops, it'll take more practice. Keep using auto drops for dive and torpedo bombers until you get more confident doing manual drops. I mastered manual torpedo drops first, and now am getting the hang of manual bomb drops.

You're still new to this kind of gameplay, like me, to a certain extent. You got ways to go, but someday you can hold your own against the big boys. Keep trying, and good luck!

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Well, my win rate is still horrendous in CVs but I think I've gotten the hang of things. I had one random battle in my Hosho tonight after a few days away and did 69K damage, 1 kill, 22 planes. I was up against a Langley, who frankly, had some idea what he was doing but didn't know how to setup strafes and didn't know how to manual drop. I was able to take his fighters out and do what I wanted, which was concentrate on BBs, doing both manual and auto drops.

Once I got the enemy CV under control, I used my fighters to help spot/kill a DD in a cap, then used it later to spot a DD trying to kill one of our BBs so he had plenty of warning on torps. As a DD players, I would hate myself for the job I did. :ohmy:

Sign in to follow this