You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Anchor

CV Fighter "Advantage"

42 comments in this topic

[DAS]
Members
34 posts
10,201 battles

So I need a little help understanding what is going on with CV based fighters.

This evening I went up against another level 10 Hakuryu with my Hakuryu with all planes maxed out, captain has stats to provide extra planes to each squadron etc..

I sent 4 squadrons up against his 2 squadrons, and he wiped out all 20 planes in less then 5 seconds.

I must be missing something, because 20 planes against 10 planes should win not get wiped out in seconds.

So what am I missing or doing wrong?  Is there a cheat, hack, update, skill or voodoo magic that I'm not aware of?

[IN3PT]
Beta Testers
1,703 posts
6,511 battles

You weren't, perhaps, victimized by a well executed fighter "barrage" ( the alt-attack for fighters) were you?

Members
781 posts
9,892 battles

strafe attack.. i'm surprised you made it to tier 10 without knowing this

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
562 posts
1,852 battles

Alt attack OP... you got Alt attack by your opponent fighter.

It's like a manual bombing but this time with fighter instead.

[IN3PT]
Beta Testers
1,703 posts
6,511 battles

Well, with so many USN captains convinced that strike is life and many IJN captains still suffering the shell shock of tier 5 and resolving to use fighters  solely for "click and forget" shields for their strike craft, combined with the fighter alt-attack being "hard" and therefore infrequently mastered... I can almost believe it's possible that the OP got to tier ten with a relatively small amount of free xp 

Edited by El_Judarino

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

How in the actual...

Anyone that does not understand strafes by T10 should not possibly be able to have gotten it.

My bet is on bought account.

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Doesn't look like a bot/bought account. But seriously, you should go back to lower tiers and figure out how to play. 

Members
69 posts
6,287 battles

Tier 10 Carrier player that doesn't know what a strafe :facepalm:

There are two possibilities of this post: 1. Troll :trollface: 2. Actually this stupid :D

Edited by Dewzy

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

Dear OP,

You got "strafed."  The purpose of these forums is for people to ask questions.  Ignore the idiots who ridiculed you.  Hopefully you learned something new and can improve your gameplay as a result.

• Cool 9

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Dear OP,

You got "strafed."  The purpose of these forums is for people to ask questions.  Ignore the idiots who ridiculed you.  Hopefully you learned something new and can improve your gameplay as a result.

The ridicule comes not from not knowing what strafe is.

The ridicule comes for not knowing a basic CV mechanic at T10.

• Cool 1

[DAS]
Members
34 posts
10,201 battles

So...

For those that were helpful, I appreciate the input.

For those of you with sarcastic comments, I understand. I'm guessing most of you live with your parents and play the game several hours at a time while mommy brings you milk and cookies.  Half of you probably have LAN parties in your parents basements and will most likely die virgins.  The fact that I made it to tier 10 without this apparently basic tactic must seem appalling.   Guess I missed that while at work, and spending time helping my fellow vets. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Beta Testers
361 posts
4,437 battles

Dear OP,

+1 

i think he should have known what that mechanic was at tier 10

but i agree with you, it was a simple question. 

[GLHF]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,562 battles

TX and dont know strafe?

Maybe he was an old player who back to play. 

Anyway you got "strafed" (the hability for fighters, press alt to aiming and use)

[RLGN]
Members
19,164 posts
35,200 battles

The day fighter strafe goes to digital hell where it belongs I will dance a jig.

Until then it is a bit amazing... Not knowing about it....

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

For those of you with sarcastic comments, I understand. I'm guessing most of you live with your parents and play the game several hours at a time while mommy brings you milk and cookies.  Half of you probably have LAN parties in your parents basements and will most likely die virgins.  The fact that I made it to tier 10 without this apparently basic tactic must seem appalling.   Guess I missed that while at work, and spending time helping my fellow vets. 

The fact that you made it to T10 without learning that particular tactic implies significant incompetence on your part. It's like a rifleman going through all of basic without figuring out his rifle has a full automatic mode.

The ad hominem attack in response to very reasonable derision is also lovely.

And finally, why is it that people seem to think "I'm a vet" is somehow justification for everything? This constantly gets brought up in WoWS discussions. "Oh, I used to serve on Iowa, so my opinion must carry extra weight over that of some virgin who's never fired a gun".

Hate to break it to you, it doesn't. I don't give a damn if you're a vet. That's that, and this is this. Being a vet does not make your opinion more valuable than any random 12 year old who shows up. Being a vet most certainly does not excuse your incompetence in not knowing literally the most important mechanic an IJN CV has for handing enemy fighters.

If anything, being a vet makes your lack of knowledge worse; I'm sure that the military stresses preparedness, and not knowing basic mechanics is the antithesis of that principle.

• Cool 11

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

The fact that you made it to T10 without learning that particular tactic implies significant incompetence on your part. It's like a rifleman going through all of basic without figuring out his rifle has a full automatic mode.

The ad hominem attack in response to very reasonable derision is also lovely.

And finally, why is it that people seem to think "I'm a vet" is somehow justification for everything? This constantly gets brought up in WoWS discussions. "Oh, I used to serve on Iowa, so my opinion must carry extra weight over that of some virgin who's never fired a gun".

Hate to break it to you, it doesn't. I don't give a damn if you're a vet. That's that, and this is this. Being a vet does not make your opinion more valuable than any random 12 year old who shows up. Being a vet most certainly does not excuse your incompetence in not knowing literally the most important mechanic an IJN CV has for handing enemy fighters.

If anything, being a vet makes your lack of knowledge worse; I'm sure that the military stresses preparedness, and not knowing basic mechanics is the antithesis of that principle.

While I hate to be disrespectful, yes, Issm is correct. It was a nicely asked question, (although that insult was a bit overboard) but there was little way that you could have gone to T10 CVs without knowing of this hard-to-master tactic. Crews tend to be a little biased towards their ships, plus, while they do have valuable experience, their technical experience is usually limited to the section in which they worked in, unless they are one of the senior officers on te ship.

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,147 battles

100% a strafe attack, the fact you got to tier 10 without it says alot, I suspect free XP the whole way but I'm not going to bother checking the OP's stats to confirm. 

Beta Testers
562 posts
3,511 battles

You have more battles than me, and I just started Carriers. How do you even- What did you- Where have you-?

Anyways in all seriousness, it's the same as manual drop, except with fighters. You, do know what manual drop is... right?

Members
738 posts
6,483 battles

Nobody wants a Tier X CV on their team who did not put in the long hours of sweat to learn the game and be "qualified" to play at Toer X level, especially in the most influential amd powerful class of ship in the game. This is why you are getting the heat OP.

There is a reason why there are 10 Tiers. It is meant to reflect different skill levels. If people jump ahead it should be at their own risk of being flamed and criticised. There is no way in hell that a Toer X CV captain has not figured out strafing and aerial combat mechanics. They should be experts. 

I have 91,000 XP to go to unlock the Taiho. I have the free XP amd doubloons/money to do it, and i really want to, but i am disciplining myself to master Tier 8 Shokaku gameplay first before moving on, even if i face Tier 9 and 10 games often amd love would be easier in those games of i was driving a Hakuryu. 

Having said all this, no reason for anyone on the forums to get disrespectful. We are all just voicing our thoughts, some more agressively than others. 

• Cool 2

Members
982 posts
366 battles

I'm not.

I'm not surprised by anything anymore, no matter how stupid or obvious, because we regularly run into players who are like this.

The other day I torpedoed and then sank(via flooding damage) an undamaged tier 8 battleship who never used his damage control because he didn't know what it was. I'm serious. Tier 8, non premium. Didn't know what damage control was.

Edited by supershutze

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,182 posts
30,938 battles

Dear OP,

I'm sorry, but how does one get to Tier X CVs without knowing what Strafing is?  It's one thing if it's a new player trying out his brand new Langley / Hosho then running into a Seal Clubber CV using Strafes.  The new player is then left wondering WTH just happened.

But the OP is talking about using a freakin' Tier X Hakuryu.  How do you get to Tier X CVs without knowing what Strafing is?

So...

For those that were helpful, I appreciate the input.

The derision is valid.  How the hell did you make it to Tier X CV play and not know what Strafes are?  Those are being executed at Tier IV typically by Seal Clubbers for max effect on newbie players that don't know what it is (the game doesn't teach you).  We get the threads here by newbies describing exactly the experience you had, but at Tier IV, where they then are told what happened to them.  No problem.  But you somehow got to Tier X and not have an idea what Starfing is.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway