Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bjoring

Still Confused by 0 dmg Penetrations

16 comments in this topic

Members
248 posts
9,559 battles

I keep getting penetration ribbons for hits that do 0 damage. There have been cases where these 0 dmg penetrations have been on ships that have taken little or no damage, so I know that damage saturation can't be responsible for all of them. Are the hit ribbons just bugged, or is there some aspect of the mechanics that I'm missing?

[BONKZ]
Members
887 posts
11,704 battles

They are caused by hits to a ship's main battery turrets, it causes damage to the turret's health but it doesn't count towards the ship's total health.

Members
3,243 posts
1,579 battles

90% of this could be alleviated by adding a "module damaged" ribbon that would take over the place of a penetration ribbon when appropriate.

• Cool 4

[_TWP_]
Members
611 posts
6,839 battles

Penetrating hits scored on modules - anti-aircraft guns, secondary guns, turrets, etc - won't necessarily deal any damage to the ship's HP pool, because modules have their own HP pools. Hits like this still register as penetrating hits, and will bring up the Penetration ribbon.

If these hits disable a module, you'll get the Incapacitation ribbon, but if they're not sufficient to disable the module, the Incapacitation ribbon will not appear.

• Cool 1

Members
248 posts
9,559 battles

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It was frustrating to land a "penetrating" hit but not know if it was doing anything.

90% of this could be alleviated by adding a "module damaged" ribbon that would take over the place of a penetration ribbon when appropriate.

This, please. It would clear up so much confusion.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers
172 posts
1,945 battles

this! all of this! so much this!

[WAP]
Beta Testers
797 posts
10,513 battles

Damage saturation. 

Look up iChase's YouTube video on the subject. He explains it in detail.

I believe AP is not supposed to be affected by damage saturation

Edited by RockaholicRaven

Members
5,202 posts

AP is not supposed to be affected by damage saturation

I think you're right. Although he didn't specify whether it was HE or AP. I edited the post just to avoid confusion. 
Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

[MAUS]
Members
13,698 posts

I believe AP is not supposed to be affected by damage saturation

AP is affected by damage saturation.  With the German Battleships' citadels all but untouchable by artillery fire, it's entirely possible to oversaturate and completely drain the main hull of HP and land zero, full-broadsides.  I tested this out in the training room with the Yamato vs the Bismarck.  It was quite hilarious.  OVERPENETRATIONS are not affected by damage saturation though.
  • Cool 1

[WAP]
Beta Testers
797 posts
10,513 battles

AP is affected by damage saturation.  With the German Battleships' citadels all but untouchable by artillery fire, it's entirely possible to oversaturate and completely drain the main hull of HP and land zero, full-broadsides.  I tested this out in the training room with the Yamato vs the Bismarck.  It was quite hilarious.  OVERPENETRATIONS are not affected by damage saturation though.

wait what? so if a section is 100% saturated and you pen it you do 0 damage but if you over pen it you do damage? :yes_cap:
Edited by RockaholicRaven

Members
646 posts
3,678 battles

Ok, so not to get sidetracked, but what would this ribbon look like? Any photoshoppers want to give it a go?

[MAUS]
Members
13,698 posts

wait what? so if a section is 100% saturated and you pen it you do 0 damage but if you over pen it you do damage? :yes_cap:

You got it.  So if you're in a destroyer and you stop seeing damage being done by your HE shells against an enemy DD, switch over to AP and finish the job.

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,750 battles

Look up iChase's YouTube video on the subject. He explains it in detail.

That.

Here is the bit of the relevant vid.

Edited by hoom

Sign in to follow this