Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hawkai

calling all high tier DD captians, check in

70 comments in this topic

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

hi all, I would really like this to be a discussion for DD captains so if your not please respect that.

I would like to start a discussion on our role in high tier, for the most part, we have been doing what we always have done, but we are not getting the support that the big guys are suppose to provide us in the team aspect of things anymore, but we continue doing the same things, I think we need a new game plan for higher tier games.

There are allot of good DD captains out there and for the most part you don't see allot of whining on the forums, (other than the shim nerf) especially the drivers who have been around a pretty good while, we have seen nerf after nerf to us and we adapt and still find a way to make an impact in the game

What I am seeing in game, is we go for caps like where supposed to but where on our own now, so if you run into another DD you slugged it out and 1 dies and the other is pretty beat up, now I have been recruiting in game and running with 1 or 2 others DD, so we support each other and I have seen allot of you doing the same thing, ok so the DD fight it out for control of the caps, if we pretty much kill each other off, this game is going the full 20 min, if ones side DD win out on the DD fight, your going to win the game most times, cause we can control the caps and keep them in our favor, the game will end on points and there will be half the players  still alive at the end of the match, now I have not been writing the number down for hard stats to give you but I have been watching for a while, personally I am seeing allot of the big guys alive that I would like to be making torp runs on and improve my damage output for a game.

Don't get me wrong, I like the team aspect of wows and when I see a group of player that are advancing and fulfilling there role, I'm all in, I will be in front of them, hunting DD, spotting torps, laying smoke, just being a pain in the other teams a--, but when do you find that anymore, I would say 25% of the games.

So looking for ideas how we can change our game play, to combat all this camping, sniping that is going on, I'm a USN DD captain mostly, with some Khab just when I feel like being annoying to the camper, I am seeing these groups of massive damage sitting still and clumped up together and it makes my mouth water, I never play my shim but have gotten it out and put by 20k torps back on it and am really surprise and  how well its doing.

OK so lets get to the ideas for the new meta for high tier DD captain, throw it out and lets discuss

of course, I got a suggestion, I like the wolf pack idea, we support our own but I would rather wait till the end of games for us DD to beat each other up instead of the 1st of the game, lets take 1 cap per side and leave the 3rd alone, then lets go after all these big guys in the back as a group, they can keep sitting and huddling up and will torp all day long or they will learn that moving ships avoid torps easier than camping does, we can have a field day, somewhere along the line the wolf packs are going to meet and we are going to have a blast fighting it out but I would rather be seeing you at the end of the game after we have had fun on the big guys. that's my idea, your turn

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

I play the Khab, so this idea of being beat up by enemy dds in a cap confuses me.

I kill everything i see.

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Speaking as a high-tier battleship player (but with decent DD experience at mid-tier), I try never to leave my DDs, torpedoes be damned.  With IowaScharnhorst, and Amagi in particular I try to stay as close to the DD as possible to crush anything that comes near them.  However, you aren't wrong in saying that these kinds of players are in the minority.

You DD drivers, as you mentioned, are the cappers and objective-securers.  That's your job.  It's my job as the artillery barge to keep you alive so you can do it.  When teammates don't cooperate, especially battleships (because of radar cruisers), the most you can do is play it safe.  For DDs, that means ambush/stealth attacks with torpedoes or shooting out of smoke, and all of it out of radar range.  Racking up damage is a conservative way to help your team, and probably the safest if the BBs and CAs won't help you take a cap.

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
646 posts
4,235 battles

The radar buff was quite a hit on USN DD play . When you have 2+ radar ships lurking a single area , its really annoying to deal with . Besides that , Im ok .

• Cool 1

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

The radar buff was quite a hit on USN DD play . When you have 2+ radar ships lurking a single area , its really annoying to deal with . Besides that , Im ok .

yep, but 4 DD wolf pack can kill the radar ship pretty quick instead of avoiding him, I can deal with the radar ships, I make them set it off and then do my thing​

Members
646 posts
4,235 battles

yep, but 4 DD wolf pack can kill the radar ship pretty quick instead of avoiding him, I can deal with the radar ships, I make them set it off and then do my thing​

If 4 DDs(Khab not included) start a gunfight with lets say , Moskva .... 

1 - you lose map control , because all bases will prob be empty .

2 - 1 or 2 DDs if dont endup dead, will get badly dmged .

3 - if its base control , its out of the question fight a CA in a straight gunfight as a USN or IJN DD . Ambush torps ? Yes . But only if the CA have no DD close by ... so , its pretty annoying to deal with more than 2 radar ships.

Edited by HARDCORE_BR

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

Speaking as a high-tier battleship player (but with decent DD experience at mid-tier), I try never to leave my DDs, torpedoes be damned.  With IowaScharnhorst, and Amagi in particular I try to stay as close to the DD as possible to crush anything that comes near them.  However, you aren't wrong in saying that these kinds of players are in the minority.

You DD drivers, as you mentioned, are the cappers and objective-securers.  That's your job.  It's my job as the artillery barge to keep you alive so you can do it.  When teammates don't cooperate, especially battleships (because of radar cruisers), the most you can do is play it safe.  For DDs, that means ambush/stealth attacks with torpedoes or shooting out of smoke, and all of it out of radar range.  Racking up damage is a conservative way to help your team, and probably the safest if the BBs and CAs won't help you take a cap.

I know but I am so bored at high tier but the DD at high tier are awesome and I want to run them, I am not a very safe player anyways, I play a aggressive high risk style, I pay for it sometimes but it fun, yea ill torp when you smoke but than I will follow my torps into your smoke and kill you with my guns, most people do not expect to see a DD come into their own smoke,  I said I will 100% support people playing the right way but it ant happening at the moment, I miss right after wows went live, they where some awesome games at high tier, good teamwork, good fight, during CBT I was really bad still but guys where good about helping us noobs learn, what we have now is sad in high tier

Edited by hawkai

[RRC]
Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
833 posts
8,626 battles
this is how i play. I go into a cap and spot an enemy but i dont open up on them until i have to or until they are distracted. 

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,574 battles

DDs are generally responsible for their own anti-DD duty at high tiers, in my experience. Nobody wants to go too far forward and zzzzzzzt get 1-shot. Outside of my divisioning with friends, rarely see anyone even get close enough to damage a DD.

Though one of my friends is laughing about his Zao, apparently he can nail DDs easily at 13-14km in it.

Edited by Reymu

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

this is how i play. I go into a cap and spot an enemy but i dont open up on them until i have to or until they are distracted. 

​I don't have a problem on how to play high tier, I have over 2k at tier 8,9,x, my whole point is we need to change our meta to take advantage of the big guys changing theres to a camping style, i'l go after a Khab in my gearing or fletcher, approach him with his guns the other way, I don't even shoot till I am spotted and I use AP on him, I will beat him most of the time in close at 6k or less

Members
1,840 posts
2,716 battles

Soooo...what are we supposed to do if we don't do what we've been doing?

Gunboat DDs in high tiers are supposed to cap, spot, and do anti-dd followed by anti-bb.

Torpedo boats in high tiers are supposed to rely on idiots to deal damage and hope they aren't seen by gunboat dds.

What else is there?:amazed:

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

Soooo...what are we supposed to do if we don't do what we've been doing?

Gunboat DDs in high tiers are supposed to cap, spot, and do anti-dd followed by anti-bb.

Torpedo boats in high tiers are supposed to rely on idiots to deal damage and hope they aren't seen by gunboat dds.

What else is there?:amazed:

that's the whole point of this discussion, for us DD captains to come up with ways to drop half a dozen torps into these camper, if they are going to keep this camping stuff up, we need to find a way to get to them and torp them, my torps on my gearing , I got torp acceleration on them, they will go 71 at 13.4k still, but we spend so much time beating each other up that by the time that is over we can not take a few secondary hits, that's why I am saying we need to change our game plan

Edited by hawkai

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

Best in a division. DD, CA, BB. Smoking your CA and BB for 2 minutes in a Gearing is stupid strong. 

Members
1,840 posts
2,716 battles

that's the whole point of this discussion, for us DD captains to come up with ways to drop half a dozen torps into these camper, if they are going to keep this camping stuff up, we need to find a way to get to them and torp them, my torps on my gearing , I got torp acceleration on them, they will go 71 at 13.4k still, but we spend so much time beating each other up that by the time that is over we can not take a few secondary hits, that's why I am saying we need to change our game plan

Soooo...hue.:)

Are you suggesting a gunboat dd truce so we can punish campers in a completely random pub style arcade game where 9 out of 10 players will never read this topic?

Whaddya think fellow dd captains?

XKqZXTPm.jpg

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

Best in a division. DD, CA, BB. Smoking your CA and BB for 2 minutes in a Gearing is stupid strong. 

​yep I know, and you guys when I run into your division, I warn, beg, plead with my team to focus you'll and  it still does not do any good , you'll are one of the most dominate division in high tier, I just want us to change our basic game plan, cause the big guys have, I make money most games as it is unless I just screw up, been known to happen but it so boring now to play, and any of you that have not run into these guys, when you do, pay attention to how they work together, they are 1 of the best on the server

Edited by hawkai

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

Soooo...hue.:)

Are you suggesting a gunboat dd truce so we can punish campers in a completely random pub style arcade game where 9 out of 10 players will never read this topic?

Whaddya think fellow dd captains?

XKqZXTPm.jpg

do you think that the camping , sniping meta came out and happen over night, NO, but if DD start calling for a wolf pack to meet at a certain point in game and people seen it work,  well  thing s that are successful have a way of catching on, I called for one in 1 match, 3 other DD came, a couple BB player cried like hell in chat, towards end of the game they where commenting in chat about its was not such a bad idea, us 4 dd had 8 kills, and I would not go so far as to say a truce, more of, right not we look to kill each other at the beginning of the cap, I'm saying that we look to kill the big guys art 1st  then beat each other up at the end of the game

Edited by hawkai

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

Wait...

Are you saying create a wolf pack of DDs from both teams?:amazed:

yep, both team create a wolf pack, lots of torps at camper and one hell of a fight when we run into each other

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

maybe I am just too greedy, but I would rather say, hell with the caps, I want to torp campers

[RRC]
Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
833 posts
8,626 battles

​I don't have a problem on how to play high tier, I have over 2k at tier 8,9,x, my whole point is we need to change our meta to take advantage of the big guys changing theres to a camping style, i'l go after a Khab in my gearing or fletcher, approach him with his guns the other way, I don't even shoot till I am spotted and I use AP on him, I will beat him most of the time in close at 6k or less

based on how I perform in that video and based on the experiences that I've had with my tier 8 in tier 9 Destroyers I really don't think that we do need to change our meta. Or at least I don't think I need to change the meta because I play aggressive and forward anyway. And usually after I've kept and dealt with one or two DD's push back Behind Enemy Lines and try and kill off all of the battleships.

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

Torping is overrated, id much rather harass with guns.

WorldOfWarships%202016-09-23%2010-38-51_

good game, I love my khab, if I don't have 400 hits I think I did bad, but the point is DD as general game play, the big guys changed how they play, why do we have to keep playing the same game plan, why can we not create a new one to counter theirs, and beside the khab is a bad example of DD play, why do you think they are nerfing it next patch, it is so OP, most OP ship in game and it still will be after the nerf just closer to being balance but still going to be annoying to deal with​

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

good game, I love my khab, if I don't have 400 hits I think I did bad, but the point is DD as general game play, the big guys changed how they play, why do we have to keep playing the same game plan, why can we not create a new one to counter theirs, and beside the khab is a bad example of DD play, why do you think they are nerfing it next patch, it is so OP, most OP ship in game and it still will be after the nerf just closer to being balance but still going to be annoying to deal with​

That's a Gearing.

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
15,598 battles

I play the Russian DD line the higher my tier the harder it get to play like the my lower tier ships...

However, the primary function of DDs is Recon...they do not need to engage battles unless absolutely necessary. the fact that you would engage is simply, team expectations.  they expect you to be in the front, regardless of you being alone, they expect you to cap...they expect you to spot.  all reasonable expectations for being a DD Capt.  however, if the team FAILS to capitalize on your risks...its so depressing worst than a Face-palm.   

so if my team is going to take a lazy and stupid type of game play...why do i  have to live up to their expectations?  in that case...i'd do everything i'm not expected to do ....i run ...i hide...i lead the enemy to to were the rest of my fleet is hanging out (so the can take a shot at them and off me).  i'd case down the BBs...and kill em...that the other thing the DDs are supposed to do...hunt and kill BBs...

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

based on how I perform in that video and based on the experiences that I've had with my tier 8 in tier 9 Destroyers I really don't think that we do need to change our meta. Or at least I don't think I need to change the meta because I play aggressive and forward anyway. And usually after I've kept and dealt with one or two DD's push back Behind Enemy Lines and try and kill off all of the battleships.

maybe it just needs to be not so much cap control, in my games, they seam to be over before I have had my fill of beating on the big guys, and seeing 7 or 8 ships alive on the the red team and the game over just does not sit well with me, I am just starting to get into the game then, DD are gone, I am free to have some fun

Sign in to follow this