You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wildcanadian1168

murmansk

24 comments in this topic

[TIRP]
Members
28 posts
21,192 battles

I did a bit of research before buying (not as much as after though), I have to say holy citadel  this boat does not  take a punch at all ESPECIALLY citadels, speed is wonderful but also requires attention or can find oneself in a bad spot quick. Spotter plane equipped is nice but short lived and you really only get 1 chance per battle with it I think it takes as long to prepare 2nd flight as it did flying first flight. Turn and shoot it does peel off a well timed 7 shots in the course of a 360 deg turn, torpedo launchers and engine are regularlarily first damage received. Yes it can crank out some good xp quick 14km and almost 18 km with spotter plane airborne, holy hell I just am not able to figure that aiming out at 17+ km .In a nut shell my grind is slightly lessened. I have come to the realization I may have to do a little more financial input on the next special unit that comes out.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,723 posts
26,569 battles

Nothing about this is new information.

[BONKZ]
Members
887 posts
11,701 battles

Isn't that the Marblehead. The Murmansk is Russian Navy.

It is an American cruiser, basically an upgraded Marblehead, that was transferred to the Russian Navy, hence why it has a large citadel.

Members
921 posts
13,862 battles

I'm by no means an expert in the Murmansk - but its made me some shekels, and trained up a 14 point skipper who's currently sailing the Kiev, on his way to riding the Khab.

Whats worked for me is not to rush to the front, early game.  Turn laterally and join up with the largest gaggle of battleships on your team - then accompany them at half speed until contact is made.  Then hit top speed, while making constant course changes, so you stay mostly with the BB pack - letting them be the "easy targets", while you zig and zag while spamming HE like a deranged pyro (the damage expert skill is a huge plus in this role).

Its a bit selfish, letting your big brothers bear the brunt of the enemy's attention - but if you do your job in keeping fires burning on the red battleships, while three-salvo-deleting any DDs that show themselves, and hammering AP into any broadside cruisers - you will find success.  I'll be honest and say that in the 97 games I've played in the Murmansk - I doubt I've torped more than a handful of opponents.  I've always felt its play style is much more like the Russian DDs - maneuvering near the edge of its range - keeping the guns hot with a constant barrage of HE.

Just remember to keep shifting - if you become a focus, quickly about-ship to get behind your BBs - and never, ever show a broadside any longer than is absolutely necessary.

Great luck to you - the Murmansk is a fine ship, and more than capable of being decisive in every match it enters.

Edited by ddoubletapp1
  • Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,681 battles

Thank you, did not realize that it was transferred to the Russian navy.

Yep.  Google USS Milwaukee.

Alpha Tester
46 posts
2,421 battles

Never, ever show your broadside.  You don't need to anyway, it has as many guns (5) pointed straight ahead as on her broadside.  My playstyle is to hunt DDs early in the game and then HE pyrospam  the BBs that are focused on other targets, late in game I hunt for CVs.  When attacking other CAs, always attack head-on using AP when they show me thier Cits.  BTW, "Show_Me_Your_Cits" is a great game handle.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles

Never, ever show your broadside.  You don't need to anyway, it has as many guns (5) pointed straight ahead as on her broadside.  My playstyle is to hunt DDs early in the game and then HE pyrospam  the BBs that are focused on other targets, late in game I hunt for CVs.  When attacking other CAs, always attack head-on using AP when they show me thier Cits.  BTW, "Show_Me_Your_Cits" is a great game handle.

Your advice is largely sound, but your terminology is off, which makes your math wrong.  The Murmansk has the Omaha C hull.  That has two dual gun turrets, one fore and one aft.  It has four single gun casemates stacked two on each corner of the forward superstructure, but only one single gun casemate each side aft.

Thus, it is true you can get five gun emplacements on a target whether for a full broadside (two turrets and three casemates) or whether directly forward (one turret and four casemates), but that is not five guns.   For a full broadside, you get two turrets and three casemates, but the turrets have two guns each, so that is a total of seven guns for a full broadside.  Directly forward, you get four casemates and a single turret, so that is at total of six guns directly forward.

Thus, your basic point is correct.  You are better off presenting the smaller target rather than risking giving them your broadside without losing much in the way of firepower, but you actually do give up a gun to do so.

There are two other important factors, to consider as well.  Because four of those guns are casemate guns, the port casemate guns cannot hit targets to starboard, and vice versa.  Thus, there is a very narrow arc forward where you can get all six guns on a target at the same time.  A slight turn to the port or starboard, and you lose two of the casemate guns.

However, your point is still sound.  You should not be driving in a straight line anyway, so you do the Omaha Wiggle.  This helps you dodge incoming rounds, but it also lets you make use of all of your forward firepower.  You can either fire all six guns when the target is directly ahead, then steer one way then back the other and fire all six guns when the target comes back directly ahead, or you can fire four guns, swing your ship back the other direction, fire the two that were not available, then swing back and rinse and repeat.  Either way, you are presenting a small target, dodging incoming rounds, and keeping six guns in the fight vs. presenting a big target just to get one more gun in the fight.

The other factor is that, since the Murmansk has the C hull, it gives up two casemate guns aft.  This means it is not as efficient doing this while facing away from the target.  You give up three guns vs. a full broadside (two vs. a directly forward firing solution), so you are only able to keep four guns in the fight doing the Omaha Wiggle when the target is to your aft.  It is still better than giving them your broadside, but it is less efficient than moving toward the target.

The Omaha B hull (and the Marblehead) do not suffer this problem.  The B hull has the same gun arrangement fore and aft, so the B hull and the Marblehead are equally efficient doing the Omaha Wiggle moving toward the target as they are moving away from it.  It also should be noted that the B Hull and the Marblehead, due to the extra casemate gun on each side aft, can get one additional gun on the target for a full broadside vs. the C hull and Murmansk.

Edited by Sotaudi
  • Cool 1

[TIRP]
Members
28 posts
21,192 battles

thank you all for contributions, I have taken and used suggestions and further viewing youtube reviews helps lots. if nothing else my damage to enemy and rewards to me have been fairly consitant and feel with practice I can bump up my numbers,so further practice it is!!

Thank you

[TIKI_]
Beta Testers
504 posts
6,457 battles

^^^ this. I loved the Murmansk until the MM change a few patches back. She is an excel!end DD hunter and an absolute firehose HE spammer.  Played right, she is one of the best credit grinders in the mid tiers. 

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

Have an 18 point Captain in Murmansk 1700 games, I love this ship, its strength is its rudder shift and its abilety to avoid shots from long range, there is a learning curve to firing in a hard turn as it turns fast ... spotter plane I never shoot at ships with the spotter plane, I shoot at were the ship will be when the shells land,its fragile and must be played accordingly , the nerf hurt this ship when going against higher tier ships, fun ship though ... id buy it again , its to bad they stopped selling it

[5IN]
Members
2,109 posts
10,709 battles

100% agree.. awesome ship and fun/engaging to play. I dont use the spotter plane often as it tends to throw off my shooting.

I would bet it comes back at some point.

B

Members
482 posts
25,435 battles

I hope they bring it back as I sold it and have regretted it every since. I kept looking at it afterwards but never pulled the trigger. It was a fun ship and I racked up some good games with it. During a Straits battle I was surrounded by 3 enemy destroyers in the SW corner of the map trying to sink me. Basically I steered in a circle and sank two destroyers and heavily damaged the 3rd one. He didn't want anymore of the Murmansk and speed out of range of the her guns.

Very fun Tier 5 ship! They should replace the Kirov which I hated with the Murmansk in the Russian cruiser tree. How about it WOWS? It's basically a Tier 5 Omaha right?

Edited by dust340man

[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
45,019 battles

The torps are only good for area denial or last ditch defense.

I tend to use the spotter plane close to the start of the battle, partly just to annoy BBs and also to have a second chance later.

The AA isn't bad at all and surprises CVs if you have Basic FT and Advanced FT.

Demo Expert is a big boost.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

While the addition of German BBs, later high AP-cruiser introduction (Tier V Kirov, Konigsberg), and the massive nerfing of BFT+AFT, times have been hard on the old low tier Cruisers, the entire Omaha-family of ships included.

Murmansk however still has good guns and AP that is nothing at all like the USN Omaha-class.  Why?  I dunno, Russian Bias.

evmbgB9.png

Give Murmansk HE and let her AP sing at the right times, and her guns can take on anyone.  The real test is making her survive so she can do her magic.  If you want comedy, take her out to say, "HI!" to the RN CLs and show them what REAL AP does.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester
20 posts
493 battles

First, as a new player, I'd like to say thanks to all for this info on the Murmansk.  I spent $15 on her a few days ago, after reading god reviews, and then was surprised to find that she blows up if you so much as breathe on her the wrong way.

However, I have been learning her finer points, and feel like I am making improvements.  After reading this forum for the first time today, I think the pace of my improvements with her will accelerate.

My question is simply, can anyone tell me everything I can do to increase her survivability?  I'll practice staying pointed at the enemy, rather than turning broadside, but what about camo, upgrades, skills, etc?  What is the best I can do to give her a little more resilience?

Again, thanks for the help...

Edited by kaiser777

Members
482 posts
25,435 battles

I did a bit of research before buying (not as much as after though), I have to say holy citadel  this boat does not  take a punch at all ESPECIALLY citadels, speed is wonderful but also requires attention or can find oneself in a bad spot quick. Spotter plane equipped is nice but short lived and you really only get 1 chance per battle with it I think it takes as long to prepare 2nd flight as it did flying first flight. Turn and shoot it does peel off a well timed 7 shots in the course of a 360 deg turn, torpedo launchers and engine are regularlarily first damage received. Yes it can crank out some good xp quick 14km and almost 18 km with spotter plane airborne, holy hell I just am not able to figure that aiming out at 17+ km .In a nut shell my grind is slightly lessened. I have come to the realization I may have to do a little more financial input on the next special unit that comes out.

Give it time and you will like it. I have owned all the Tier 5 cruisers (except Emerald yet) at one time or another and I re-purchased the Murmansk after stupidly selling it a while back. Personally I think with it's camo, good main and AA guns, spotter plane and 8km torps it's the best of the bunch except for maybe the Konigsberg. I survived a batlle one time with 3 enemy DDs who had surrounded me. I sank 2 of them and the 3rd one ran off and hid somewhere. :hiding: Note: All Tier 5 cruisers can get easily blown up these days due to doing battle with Tier 6 and 7 BBs!  But that's part of the fun and challenge when you survive one of those battles. You just have to be real sneaky and use cover to your advantage when ever possible.
Edited by dust340man