Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
misanthrope0

Marblehead wth??!!!

17 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,180 posts
9,086 battles

Haven't took this out in a while and it used to be a pleasure to play. Now it seems to stuck in matches where it's way outranged and can't shoot crapunless it overexposes itself, or it's getting maps where you can't get much out of it. When did this happen?

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,681 battles

Nothing changed.

Well, that depends upon how long it has been since he played it.  OP, are we talking more than 6 months?  When was the Great AFT Nerf?

EDIT:  Yeah, the MM changes aren't doing Marblehead any favors either.  Not really a change to the ship itslef, but still.

Edited by kerensky914
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

The MM for tier 5 is horrible right now.

Yep, that's true.

To reiterate: nothing changed about Marblehead, but the narrowing of the T3 and T4 MM means that T5 is getting the shaft. WG has admitted this, but time will tell what they plan to do about it.

[SALVO]
Members
28,061 posts
41,711 battles

First was the Great AFT nerf which really, really hurt the Marblehead (far more than the Murmansk, IMO).  And then there was this more recent MM tweaking that made tiers 2-4 have only +/-1 tier MM, while tiers 5+ remained at +/-2 tiers MM.  And for whatever reason, ships at tier 5 seem to end up in a inordinately high number of battle tier 7 battles.  Some ships aren't horribly hurt by this, while others are.  I think that tier 5 cruisers probably are taking it on the chin the worst, and the Marblehead perhaps worst of all.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,321 battles

Nothing changed.

yeah, it did; he's tier 5 and got stuck in "balanced" matchmaking

Members
10 posts
3,862 battles

I play the Marblehead A lot. It is a fun ship to play and I'm up the challenge in the +2 tier matches I usually get placed in. It is extremely frustrating though at times and that usually comes from the majority of high tier MM I get placed in. i am running a captain on it that is 3 points shy of concealment expert (7 skill captain)...its been a frustrating grind and my hope is concealment expert will final give me a little edge in those high tier matches I always get. But I'm in agreement that the Marblehead as a tier 5 should not be placed in tier 7 matches who knows if WG will ever fix this problem but Im hoping there is a chance that my hard work grinding a Captain in this ship will pay off because I love the tier 4,5 and 6 matches in the marble and at this point I consider myself a pretty good cruiser skipper because of the time put in on this ship. 

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

It's not a bad ship, really, but yeah, the new MM.  Nothing is funnier than watching three T6-7 BBs drop what they are doing and fall over themselves to shoot me.  I know, it is because they fear my HE spam as the biggest threat to them at that moment!  (And not, say, because I am piloting an xp pinata that must be in detection range to shoot.)

WG should release a special flag for the Marblehead, visible only to your teammates, which would say "Sorry I'm not driving a Murmansk."

• Cool 3

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles

Both the Omaha and Marblehead have been powercreeped hard. They have the worst range of the Tier V cruisers. A Gnenvy with AFT could kite you for crying out loud. They could definitely both use a range buff.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
28,061 posts
41,711 battles

Both the Omaha and Marblehead have been powercreeped hard. They have the worst range of the Tier V cruisers. A Gnenvy with AFT could kite you for crying out loud. They could definitely both use a range buff.

The Omaha (fully upgraded) and the Marblehead should have about the same max gun range as the Murmansk.  A 12.7 km gun range on a tier 5 cruiser is painful.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,180 posts
9,086 battles

It' hasn't been that long for this so the MM is the culprit huh? Haven't played my Murmansk though since the AFT nerf so I guess I'm not keen to take that back out either.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,179 posts
30,938 battles

4 things have hurt the Omaha family of ships.

1.  AFT/BFT nerf.

2.  Newer, better Cruiser lines coming out that do not play by the original WoWS low tier cruiser meta of "small caliber gun spam."  Newer cruisers like Konigsberg, Kirov, Budyonny, Molotov, Nurnburg play by the, "I just need to see your side briefly so I can end you in 1-2 salvos" meta.  In short, Omaha family of ships got Power Creeped the F--k Out.

3.  Addition of some accurate shooting low tier BBs:  Kaiser, Konig at Tier IV, V.  Then there's new additions Dunkerque and Scharnhorst, all ships the Omaha types can face, on top of existing ships like Fuso and her saturation salvo of doom.

4.  Revamped MM:  Tier V is now almost always Bottom Tier Fodder for Tier VII's.  WG knows this but has zero intent to change it.

At this very same time last year, Omaha used to have the nickname, "OPmaha."  My how things have changed.  The first 2 points I listed really hurt this family of ships badly.  Points 3 & 4 are merely kicking Omaha class while she's already down.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

The Omahas definitely need to have their range boosted.  Marblehead specifically was really hurt by the AFT nerf.

Members
385 posts
16,322 battles

No one is going to mention the awful tier II level torps this ship has? They are only good for area denial tactics, & only if you can turn sideways without being seen to launch them...

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

The MM for tier 5 is horrible right now.

This^^^ Just wait and see if WG can get around to fixing the mess before taking out the Marblehead again. Shame, cause this ship really clicked with me as the Murmansk never did. Odd but true.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

This^^^ Just wait and see if WG can get around to fixing the mess before taking out the Marblehead again. Shame, cause this ship really clicked with me as the Murmansk never did. Odd but true.

I like both the Marblehead and the Murmansk, I have actually had better results with the Murmansk but the spotting plane is useless to me, at least the fighter plane on the Marblehead was usable. 

Sign in to follow this