Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Alex

Marblehead or Atlanta CL?

54 comments in this topic

[-JEDI]
Alpha Tester
2,667 posts
8,151 battles

Does anyone know if the Atlanta or Marblehead CL is worth buying?

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,030 battles

I'd go atlanta, if you know how to use CLs properly, marblehead is an ok ship but she's outclassed by other ships of her tier, at least atlanta is pretty damn good if you know what you're doing. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

The are both fun, and both worth buying. The Marblehead is basically a Omaha, the fun of tier 5s are suffering from the MM right now, so that kinda sucks. The Atlanta is a blast, but very unique compared to other CLs, so not for everyone, you have to learn to play it differently. 

• Cool 1

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
489 posts
4,729 battles

I'd say the Atlanta.  However.  If you do enjoy the omaha.  Buy a Muramansk when it becomes available again.  It is superior in each and every way.

Members
2,518 posts

I wouldn't purchase any tier V premiums until/unless the tier 3/4 matchmaking is changed.

I keep playing my Murmansk but at this point it's almost 75% of the time in a tier VII game. 

• Cool 1

Members
5,450 posts
21,041 battles

I would not buy the Marblehead until it has its range increased, which will probably never happen. She has a max gun range of 12.7k and a detection range of 13.2k[i think]. So every other cruiser at tier 5 can see you and shoot you long before you can respond. Heck the Phoenix can out range you. You have to player her as a destroyer killer that hides behind islands. And don't get into fights with CV aircraft as your AA is a drunk cook with a bolt action rifle, pretty sure the sights are bent as well. Yeah I've shot down A plane with the Marblehead AA but it doesn't happen often. 

She used to be an awesome ship before the AFT nerf and the introduction of the German and Russian cruisers. But its worse now cause MM likes sending you out against lots of Tier 6s and Tier 7s. But that is nothing when facing tier 8s, yes its happened more than once.

So Do Not Buy the Marblehead save your money for better ships. 

And if a WG employ is reading this Please consider upping the Marbleheads gun range but 10% it would help a lot. 

Edited by RedSeaBear

[CCF]
Members
821 posts
10,375 battles

l have the mhead its fine if you can play CL's.

Trains capts and earns creds.

Torps are slow but if you pop them into the right spots a lot of players will just sail into them ...8.2km range.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

I wouldn't purchase any tier V premiums until/unless the tier 3/4 matchmaking is changed.

I keep playing my Murmansk but at this point it's almost 75% of the time in a tier VII game. 

Tier 5 used to be my favorite, but with the current MM... I get tired of always being bottom tier.

[RRC]
Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
833 posts
8,626 battles

Marblehead is an omaha clone. Only it lacks the AA and full hull upgrade. So just keep that in mind. Its basically a stock omaha.

[WKY20]
Members
1,313 posts
7,074 battles

I'd pass on both and get the Atago if I was looking for fun. If I wanted a good credit maker I'd get the Tirpitz for more consistent credit making, Blyskawica for keeping positive income all the time, or the Warspite for also keeping a positive income all the time.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,090 battles

Does anyone know if the Atlanta or Marblehead CL is worth buying?

Both suffer from short ranged guns, but Marblehead has a further handicap. Without CE she is spotted before she can open fire. Her gun range is 12.7, concealment is like 13.1 IIRC.

Atlanta with her recent buffs makes her stronger at tier 7. I have both but out of the two Atlanta hands down.

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
15,598 battles

i have the Atlanta ...its my primary ship...i like her cause i cant stand waiting forever for guns to reload. i like the rapid fire the Atlanta produces.  and you will be the Annoyance of everyone on the opposite team...you are primary target by EVERYONE even before the battle begins.  i kinda like that idea, its hard to ignore you you when you are in her.  quite an attention grabber when you raining down a shet load of HE fire at someone.  often they will run from you or they will tell other players to KILL you!  

BUT!!!  do not buy her if you will not get the success rating thats advertise why you first play her.  you will DIE in this ship very quickly.  ive notice avg life span of the Atlanta in Random battles...4 min.  so you really reallly really have to play her a lot just to be combat effective.  

Marblehead...like all premium ships...they are stock-ship with no upgrades....i've killed a lot of Marbleheads in me Atlanta with bit of ease...but that also depends on whos driving her.  

[RLGN]
Members
19,141 posts
35,181 battles

If you want to get citadeled at tier V, go Marblehead. If you want to get citadeled at tier VII, go Atlanta. :trollface:

Won't disagree with this. Making the two ships survive and work is partly what taught me how to WASD. Even had a enemy Clev say in chat I danced pretty well in Marblehead.

I would not buy the Marblehead until it has its range increased, which will probably never happen. She has a max gun range of 12.7k and a detection range of 13.2k[i think]. So every other cruiser at tier 5 can see you and shoot you long before you can respond. Heck the Phoenix can out range you. You have to player her as a destroyer killer that hides behind islands. And don't get into fights with CV aircraft as your AA is a drunk cook with a bolt action rifle, pretty sure the sights are bent as well. Yeah I've shot down A plane with the Marblehead AA but it doesn't happen often. 

She used to be an awesome ship before the AFT nerf and the introduction of the German and Russian cruisers. But its worse now cause MM likes sending you out against lots of Tier 6s and Tier 7s. But that is nothing when facing tier 8s, yes its happened more than once.

So Do Not Buy the Marblehead save your money for better ships. 

And if a WG employ is reading this Please consider upping the Marbleheads gun range but 10% it would help a lot. 

Haven't ever really had trouble with Marblehead's range; though I admit it takes more effort to survive and prosper in one than in other T5 cruisers.

Most Marblehead fun is had when moving up on something like a Kirov, DD style; then popping out from behind a rock and shooting that little prima-donna T5 full of holes with several salvos of AP.

Marblehead and Atlanta take some getting used to; one, or both, are definitely not for everyone.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,090 battles

Won't disagree with this. Making the two ships survive and work is partly what taught me how to WASD. Even had a enemy Clev say in chat I danced pretty well in Marblehead.

Haven't ever really had trouble with Marblehead's range; though I admit it takes more effort to survive and prosper in one than in other T5 cruisers.

Most Marblehead fun is had when moving up on something like a Kirov, DD style; then popping out from behind a rock and shooting that little prima-donna T5 full of holes with several salvos of AP.

Marblehead and Atlanta take some getting used to; one, or both, are definitely not for everyone.

It's just annoying to have a 13+ km spotting range and 12.7 firing range. Makes her a tier 5 Pensacola in that regard.

Members
5,450 posts
21,041 battles

Dancing, thats a good word for what you have to do with the Marblehead. I recently danced up to a Nagato on Neighbors manage to sink him with fire and torps. He to was surprise at the rate of fire and maneuverability of this ship. Also any cruiser that will show their broadsides can be paddled hard in the citadel. But your WASD and Aim Mod hax has to be strong to survive and win in the Might Marble. 

[GUTS]
Beta Testers
471 posts
10,455 battles

I have both.  The Marblehead is just a premium Omaha.  It's a all purpose, no specialty, plane vanilla, tier V light cruiser.  If you liked the Omaha, you'll like the Marblehead.

Atlanta is an animal all unto itself.  It's pretty situational, and requires special archane dark arts to sail effectively.  Once you have mastered these dark arts, you can condemn BB drivers to the eternal damnaiton of hellfire at will.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
15,598 battles

Atlanta is an animal all unto itself.  It's pretty situational, and requires special archane dark arts to sail effectively.  Once you have mastered these dark arts, you can condemn BB drivers to the eternal damnaiton of hellfire at will.

LOL!  thats funny! but well said Capt! 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,144 posts
22,105 battles

I was never really able to enjoy playing Marblehead.  B hull Omaha and Murmansk were much better performers.

I only recommend Atlanta to advanced players looking for a new challenge who are willing to adjust their play style.  It is very difficult to learn and many give up on it.  However, once you finally click with it, then it becomes both fun and an asset to the team.  Even for an advanced player though, it takes a lot of time learning the ship and the maps she sees to get good with it.

Members
3,067 posts
2,554 battles

Atlanta is:

A small light cruiser whose armor protection is no thicker than what destroyers have

Short range main guns but lot of dakka

Fast Turrets

Okay torpedo but see next

Concealment doesn't help her fraility and gun range, can't sneak to get target within your torpedo range

Only the NC/Iowa/Montana in the tree outperform her sheer throwweight of her DP guns....when not using Defensive Fire (Long Range AA matter when you want to intercept or hit strike planes as far out as you can)

-If said battleships aren't secondary specced, she will have better range (A/BFT help both of her main gun and her DP in AA)

Has Radar (note, remember the range and duration of it in order to properly hunt down hiding DDs.) Bonus: if you suspect a ship is hiding around corner of the island you're right by; light it up through the island!

Can shoot over islands very well; much better when you aren't spotted because some ships can hit you back over island if you aren't toeing the line between firing over cover and using cover to block return fire.

Sign in to follow this