You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FogInvader

My new gpu but i messed up

23 comments in this topic

[SCCC]
Members
2,845 posts
11,099 battles

Welp new gpu came in all fit but my power connection is a 6 pin not a 8 pin but i have pics :p

F9rvtaM.jpg6Pas8gA.jpg

Edited by the_fog_invader

Beta Testers
2,327 posts
3,235 battles

most PSUs, aftermarket ones at least, should have 6+2 connectors. if your PSU does not then the card will not work...might need a PSU.

you might be able to find some sort of converters, but you would have to search around. sometimes radio shack and even best buy have helped in these situations (i think GPU i bought before had some included...check the box).

[WOLF5]
Members
864 posts
10,435 battles

The make adapters that can turn molex connector to 8 pin. Just make sure your PSU has enough power to run a 120 watt card.

If your PSU is not strong enough then you could fry the card or more.

[SCCC]
Members
2,845 posts
11,099 battles

The make adapters that can turn molex connector to 8 pin. Just make sure your PSU has enough power to run a 120 watt card.

If your PSU is not strong enough then you could fry the card or more.

its a 400 watt card and yes it can power it but im tempted to just buy a new power supply 

[CRANE]
Alpha Tester
9,505 posts
3,688 battles

its a 400 watt card and yes it can power it but im tempted to just buy a new power supply 

important thing to check is the quality of the power supply 

[SYN]
Members
5,956 posts
13,861 battles

you might be able to find some sort of converters, but you would have to search around. sometimes radio shack and even best buy have helped in these situations (i think GPU i bought before had some included...check the box).

I do NOT recommend converters or adapters of any kind.  There is a reason why that 1060 has an 8-pin aux power connection - a card of that capability needs the extra juice when a graphics-heavy application calls for it.  If it orders more juice than the PSU can supply, shutdowns tend to occur...

You have two options.

>  Install a new PSU.  One with preferably two 8-pin connectors and, if you can afford it, a dual rail 1 T-Watt (or 650 Watts as an absolute minimum) unit.  In fact, it's worth it to get the very best power supply you can afford.  A lot of guys skimp on the PSU and just get some old cheap brand with the minimum wattage they think they will need, but this is a mistake.

or...

>  Find a good GPU with a 6-pin connector.  The best GPU with a 6-pin connector that I can recall (and heartily recommend) is the EVGA GTX-950 SC or SC+.  The EVGA GTX-950 SSC requires an 8-pin connector, so don't get this one.  The GTX-950 is an very capable and efficient card, and EVGA enhances their models with significant clock rates.  Easily runs most games maxed out in 1080p at 60FPS.

Edited by Kuckoo

[CRANE]
Alpha Tester
9,505 posts
3,688 battles

I do NOT recommend converters or adapters of any kind.  There is a reason why that 1060 has an 8-pin aux power connection - a card of that capability needs the extra juice when a graphics-heavy application calls for it.  If it orders more juice than the PSU can supply, shutdowns tend to occur...

You have two options.

>  Install a new PSU.  One with preferably two 8-pin connectors and, if you can afford it, a dual rail 1 T-Watt (or 650 Watts as an absolute minimum) unit.  In fact, it's worth it to get the very best power supply you can afford.  A lot of guys skimp on the PSU and just get some old cheap brand with the minimum wattage they think they will need, but this is a mistake.

or...

>  Find a good GPU with a 6-pin connector.  The best GPU with a 6-pin connector that I can recall (and heartily recommend) is the EVGA GTX-950 SC or SC+.  The EVGA GTX-950 SSC requires an 8-pin connector, so don't get this one.  The GTX-950 is an very capable and efficient card, and EVGA enhances their models with significant clock rates.  Easily runs most games maxed out in 1080p at 60FPS.

not a chance you'd need a 650 watt. a 550 would be overkill depending on the cpu. assuming it's a modern ish i5 you'd be fine with a 450w with that gpu. I could easily and safely run an overclocked i5-6600k and my 1070 on a 550

Honestly at this point a new psu would be the cheapest and best option 

[WOLF5]
Members
864 posts
10,435 battles

You have two options.

or...

I have a feeling he's running a prepackaged Dell or an HP or something along those lines. If he is he's going to have problems finding a PSU to work with it.

Depending on the build I wouldn't go anything less than a 650 or higher. I run a Corsair AC1200 which is massive overkill for my rig but I never have to worry about power issues.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

You have two options.

or...

>  Find a good GPU with a 6-pin connector.  The best GPU with a 6-pin connector that I can recall (and heartily recommend) is the EVGA GTX-950 SC or SC+.  The EVGA GTX-950 SSC requires an 8-pin connector, so don't get this one.  The GTX-950 is an very capable and efficient card, and EVGA enhances their models with significant clock rates.  Easily runs most games maxed out in 1080p at 60FPS.

You absolutely don't need a 650w PSU to run a 1060. OP could get by with a quality 500 just fine, assuming he's not running something like a 10 core processor. I assume this isn't the case, though. 

I'd go 550 for budgetary reasons, with enough overhead to keep everything happy and the PSU running in its peak efficiency band. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139144&cm_re=corsair_power_supply-_-17-139-144-_-Product 

The above would be a good choice, fully modular and well made. Plus, Corsairs have excellent warranty and support. There are many options on the market, but make sure you buy from a reputable brand. Power supplies are the one thing, where if they don't work right, it can kill every component on your board, so you don't want to cheap out on it.

[CRANE]
Alpha Tester
9,505 posts
3,688 battles

That seems a little on the pricey side for a PSU for a 1060

If you do want probably the best PSU in the 500-600 watt range, go with the EVGA 550G2. Great warranty, fully modular, and fantastic quality

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438053&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

If you don't want to spend as much, go for a good Bronze unit. I'm partial to Seasonic products myself when they're affordable, such as this 520W unit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I did think it a little on the steep side for a 550. But with Corsair, part of what you're paying for is the warranty and support, which, when the fecal matter does hit the air circulator, can be indispensable. Corsair has been known to replace other components damaged by faulty hardware, such as a GPU damaged by a PSU or a leaking cooler. Of course, your mileage may vary. On the opposite side of this spectrum, I have had issues with EVGA's support, and I wouldn't recommend them as a company, regardless of how good that product is.

Seasonic also makes exceptionally high quality units. I'd personally stick with gold or better (as that usually indicates higher rated components), but I wouldn't turn my nose up to the latter.

Edited by SergeantHop

[CRANE]
Alpha Tester
9,505 posts
3,688 battles

I did think it a little on the steep side for a 550. But with Corsair, part of what you're paying for is the warranty and support, which, when the fecal matter does hit the air circulator, can be indispensable. Corsair has been known to replace other components damaged by faulty hardware, such as a GPU damaged by a PSU or a leaking cooler. Of course, your mileage may vary. On the opposite side of this spectrum, I have had issues with EVGA's support, and I wouldn't recommend them as a company, regardless of how good that product is.

Seasonic also makes exceptionally high quality units. I'd personally stick with gold or better (as that usually indicates higher rated components), but I wouldn't turn my nose up to the latter.

on a lower end system I would say bronze is fine. I personally haven't had any issues with evga for warranty, so I usually use them depending on price and budget.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

GTX1060 isn't exactly a power hungry card.

400W modern PSU with most of its power output in the 12V rail ought to be fine

I stick with Silverstone and Corsair PSUs.

Although, if it says 80plus Gold or Platinum on the side, and it's not a fake, then you can typically count on it having some modicum of quality.

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
6,193 posts
4,955 battles

or...

The 1060 has a 6 pin connector...

The OP needs a PSU with a 6 pin.

Personally I'd go with a 600-700w modular in case you get something beefier in the future that needs an 8 pin again.

Swap out the lead between the 6 pin and 8 pins as needed... or depending on model, it might come with a 6 pin + 2 pin to use with the 8 pins.

Edited by Jinxed_Katajainen

[ROCKR]
Members
368 posts

I swear by EVGA power supplies...the kit they give you covers almost every conceivable connection as well, so keep the extra cords

[SYN]
Members
5,956 posts
13,861 battles

The 1060 has a 6 pin connector...

The OP needs a PSU with a 6 pin.

I'm aware of that, which is why I pointed out two options, the second of which recommended a good 6-pin card.  Next time, read the whole post.

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
6,193 posts
4,955 battles

I'm aware of that, which is why I pointed out two options, the second of which recommended a good 6-pin card.  Next time, read the whole post.

I'm not getting why you're recommending an 8 pin PSU for a 6 pin card... and another 6 pin card in your second option.

edit: Unless I'm misreading the OP's post and he's saying he has 8 pins on the GPU and 6 pins on the PSU.. But my first statement was going off the assumption that it's a 6 pin card like my own 1060

SOZHve3.jpg

Edited by Jinxed_Katajainen

[CRANE]
Alpha Tester
9,505 posts
3,688 battles

I'm not getting why you're recommending an 8 pin PSU for a 6 pin card... and another 6 pin card in your second option.

edit: Unless I'm misreading the OP's post and he's saying he has 8 pins on the GPU and 6 pins on the PSU.. But my first statement was going off the assumption that it's a 6 pin card like my own 1060

SOZHve3.jpg

msi armor is an 8 pin connector iirc 

I think at this point a complete system list would help the most so we can suggest what you do 

[SCCC]
Members
2,845 posts
11,099 battles

To late allready fixed it new psu was need for 3 reasons 

1 id hit the max power usage almost all the time

2 i need the connector

3 i also do not trust the psu that was installed  

[SYN]
Members
5,956 posts
13,861 battles

Welp new gpu came in all fit but my power connection is a 6 pin not a 8 pin but i have pics :p

I'm understanding that "...but my power connection is a 6 pin not a 8 pin" means that the available plug coming from his power supply is a 6-pin, but the card he bought requires an 8-pin plug.

My apologies if I misinterpreted his post and got it backwards.