You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AirBear8

Prinz Eugen Owners: Is the ship worth it?

46 comments in this topic

Members
138 posts
8,330 battles

I recently returned to the game after a 4 month absence, just got burned out on PVP in general.  (I have decent stats, 51% WR and 1.45 K/D)  Been playing a tank game that has a very good PVE component, you never need to play PVP.  But I left behind quite a bit of gold and credits here so I've come back to try the game again.  It is a bit better than I remember, still way too many battles that are blowouts but I'm seeing more really competitive battles than I remember from before. Looking forward to ranked or team battles.

I haven't spent any $$$ on WoWs since returning but the Prinz Eugen got my attention.  I remember how good a cruiser the Hipper was. Very accurate and great AP if I remember correctly and it can actually bounce some shells with it's armor.    So I'd like to hear from Prinz Eugen owners if you think the ship is worth it or not?     I have the majority of Premium ships, including the Tirpitz, Kutuzov, Atlanta, Warspite, etc. and I like most of them with the Kutuzov being one of my favorite cruisers due to gun range, accuracy, and strong AA.    The 2 tier 8 premium ships are very good credit generators. 

Thanks,

AirBear

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

Read.

In short, she's basically a Hipper with some very nice captain training bonuses on her, and the option of a purchaseble camouflage which also adds a 10% credit earning bonus.

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

Let's put it this way. Would you buy a premium Admiral Hipper for $60?

[-DPF-]
Members
774 posts
11,104 battles

If you want a German Captain trainer, then YES!  If not, then maybe.  There are better Tier VIII cruisers (Atago & Kutuzov), but if you liked Hipper, PE is just a Hipper with an extra +50% Captain XP.  I like mine a lot!:)

Members
124 posts
6,720 battles

It's a nice ship if you like the hipper and want a premium similar to it, is suggest the kutuzov, Atago, or the tirpitz over it but as you have those it's a fun ship. It is however a hipper with minor stat tweaks so if you like the hipper and you want a prem clone go for it I got it because I personally enjoy the German cruisers the most.

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

Well, I mean.... It's a Hipper that makes butt loads of credits while getting captains ready within days that can also run any German captain you have...

Members
5,202 posts

Anyone who bought the ship is biased. A significant number of them will say to buy it if for no other reason than to convince themselves it was a worthwhile purchase.

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT
  • Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

If you're a ship collector, yes.

If you're looking for a unique performance in a unique ship, no.

I like her, but she's ultimately nothing special and not worth her price unless you really, really, reeeally want her

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

Well, I mean.... It's a Hipper that makes butt loads of credits while getting captains ready within days that can also run any German captain you have...

This. 

Having this let's you skip the hipp....

earns butt loads of credits even in a loss. 

[MAR_U]
Beta Testers
828 posts
10,391 battles

Anyone who bought the ship is biased. The vast majority of them will say to buy it if for no other reason than to convince themselves it was a worthwhile purchase.

i have bought the ship, and told all of my friends that have the game so far not to buy it... sure its a nice ship, but it already in the game. i baught it because i wanted the Eugen and i have enjoyed what i have gotten so far and belive that it was worth my money subjectively but wouldent recommend the ship on game-play alone. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,180 posts
30,938 battles

To make the most of those bonuses on PE, you need to succeed with her.  High tier Cruiser play isn't exactly the friendliest of environments to succeed.  The rewards are indeed great if you do get it right.  But you are a high tier cruiser, and you are literally 1 salvo away from someone insta-deleting you.  Or as sub-octavian said, "dividing cruisers by zero."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

Anyone who bought the ship is biased. A significant number of them will say to buy it if for no other reason than to convince themselves it was a worthwhile purchase.

Yay, I'm part the 1% who says not to buy her exactly for being aware of her actual lack of value! :teethhappy:
Edited by BunnyOfTheFleet

Members
5,202 posts

i have bought the ship, and told all of my friends that have the game so far not to buy it... sure its a nice ship, but it already in the game. i baught it because i wanted the Eugen and i have enjoyed what i have gotten so far and belive that it was worth my money subjectively but wouldent recommend the ship on game-play alone. 

Yay, I'm part the 1% who says not to buy her exactly for being aware of her actual lack of value! :teethhappy:

Yeah, I thought about that for a second and changed the wording. I don't think "vast majority" is appropriate. Your responses being a perfect example. 

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

Read.

In short, she's basically a Hipper with some very nice captain training bonuses on her, and the option of a purchaseble camouflage which also adds a 10% credit earning bonus.

And an additional commander xp bonus... Don't forget that!

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

Yeah, I thought about that for a second and changed the wording. I don't think "vast majority" is appropriate. Your responses being a perfect example. 

Thanks for correcting it Wombat, generalization is a dangerous thing. I'd feel absolutely terrible for recommending a ship that should actually cost at most half of it's current price just because it's in my port

Members
138 posts
8,330 battles

Thanks for the replies and my apologies for not checking the ships>>Cruiser section b4 posting.  Lots of info there.    Cruiser and BB Captain skills aren't that different, I've got the Tirpitz for training.   I'm bummed out that I missed the Scharnhorst, I like BattleCruisers.  Same for the French Dunkirk, would like to try the 4x2 forward turret config.    Since I have the Atago and Kutuzov I probably don't need a 3rd T8 CA.   The Belfast sounds interesting, although the gun range is a bit low.

AirBear

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,323 posts
23,687 battles

Yes it is worth it. It has bonuses unlike any ship in the game. These bonuses are only worth it if you plan on playing the Germans.

Edited by paradat

[RTR]
Beta Testers
306 posts
2,168 battles

Don't buy it.

It's only for us crazies. 

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

I like her. Sold the Hipper as she had researched the Roon and got the Roon. Would not have bought her otherwise, but still would have wanted this ship as she is a collectible.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

It depends on what you want out of it. 

If you want something unique, then no. It's not. The only unique thing about Prinz is how fast you can train captains with her. 

If you want her because she's a competent ship? Then yeah, because she's basically a Hipper and Hipper is good (in my opinion) so Prinz is good too. However, if you already have a Hipper then this is an irrelevant point. 

If you want her because of historical significance, then yes, she's as worth it as any other famous ship. 

And, lastly, if you want her because you play KanColle... ...well yeah, of course she's worth it then. This is Pringles we're talking about here. 

Beta Testers
3,315 posts
27,013 battles

I did and it's  worth evry pennie and I also have the Hipper.....

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

I got it because well I don't really know any better...BUT I wanted a german premium cruiser. I have the tirp, scharn & fat albert. 

4 preemies I can move any captain to and retrain quickly...the extra captain xp is a huge bonus. 

Be sure though, it's very squishy and not for the faint of heart.