Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Lexington drivers - whats up?

15 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

How do you get to the level of Lexington yet fail miserably in understanding your priority targets?

Why would you fly all your planes to attack a North Carolina about 20km plus away when you have a Colorado, Atago and Destroyer under 10km away that are attacking your only remaining BB? Oh, the enemy carrier is also attacking said BB with TB/DB waves too. 

Is there some type of test or something WG can institute for each class/tier to act as a gateway which indicates "You have to be at least as smart as a banana to enter this tier/class"? 

I've sen some really good carrier drivers but man, when they're bad, they're really, really bad. One bad Lexington can cost the entire match, like it or not. 

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

How do you get to the level of Lexington yet fail miserably in understanding your priority targets?

Why would you fly all your planes to attack a North Carolina about 20km plus away when you have a Colorado, Atago and Destroyer under 10km away that are attacking your only remaining BB? Oh, the enemy carrier is also attacking said BB with TB/DB waves too. 

Is there some type of test or something WG can institute for each class/tier to act as a gateway which indicates "You have to be at least as smart as a banana to enter this tier/class"? 

I've sen some really good carrier drivers but man, when they're bad, they're really, really bad. One bad Lexington can cost the entire match, like it or not. 

Maybe the CV didn't want to get close to the Atago and the NC was alone and isolated? 

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Isn't the very presence of a Lexington already costing one the match to begin with?

...is it because the Colorado, Atago, and the destroyer's combined AA is stronger than North Carolina...or Atago's defensive fire is scarier than North Carolina's 100 AA...or the driver is just drunk...

• Cool 1

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Isn't the very presence of a Lexington already costing one the match to begin with?

...is it because the Colorado, Atago, and the destroyer's combined AA is stronger than North Carolina...or Atago's defensive fire is scarier than North Carolina's 100 AA...or the driver is just drunk...

Not necessarily... If the other guy is a strike Lex <_< 

Alpha Tester
1,375 posts
14,330 battles

U understand attacking a BB near a CA is a really bad idea, and also that eliminating a BB that's off by its self i sometimes more useful since generally the team can handle the ones they are fighting but the lone BB will cause issues down the road, also strike configuration Lexington has no fighters (this is what I normally use)

Members
738 posts
6,483 battles

m8, I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. The only sympathy you'll get from CV captains to your complaint is that it is true, there are bad CV players just as there are good ones. However, this is no different than any other class of ship. I do agree that CV is the most influential class of ship, however, it's not night and day. DDs I'd say are just as influential, as are BBs. If there are not "high tier" entry requirements for DD, BB, CA...there sure shouldn't be one for CVs.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Yes I understand the AA aspect of it... but from the git-go he was taking aircraft clear across the map, maybe hoping for some big point kills, maybe even thinking he could kill the enemy carrier? The Colorado was parked dead in the water. He could have nuked the guy quite easily. The two cruisers, not as easily to be sure... but at some point you have to determine what is valuable to the team. Keeping your planes safe while your team dies one by one, two by two doesn't help the team win.

Someone here once said knowing when to make that committment, that move is paramount to winning the match. At the higher tiers, carriers have to stay alive, but I guess "i expect" them to be able to kill or at the least heavily wound their targets. Torpedo planes are as accurate as destroyers when it comes to torps. At most a plane can be "scared" into not dropping but man, "I guess" I "feel" if you are playing carrier at that level, you really should know how to do the appropriate drops (manual/auto) and which targets to prioritize

Am almost thinking it might be worth it to grind the lines so people can beach at me like this :-) . 

I'm not particularly looking for sympathy so you m8 are barking at the wrong tree. I am hopeful someone can tell me how you get that far without knowing the right targets, without killing them. There's a lot going on when you play a carrier to be sure.. but as a class, they do have a larger impact on the match than any other class of ship.

WoWS/WG has said the loss of a carrier early in a match is generally a death blow for the team who lost their carrier. Can't say that for any other single ship in a match. You can try, but it'd be a lie. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Yes I understand the AA aspect of it... but from the git-go he was taking aircraft clear across the map, maybe hoping for some big point kills, maybe even thinking he could kill the enemy carrier? The Colorado was parked dead in the water. He could have nuked the guy quite easily. The two cruisers, not as easily to be sure... but at some point you have to determine what is valuable to the team. Keeping your planes safe while your team dies one by one, two by two doesn't help the team win.

Someone here once said knowing when to make that committment, that move is paramount to winning the match. At the higher tiers, carriers have to stay alive, but I guess "i expect" them to be able to kill or at the least heavily wound their targets. Torpedo planes are as accurate as destroyers when it comes to torps. At most a plane can be "scared" into not dropping but man, "I guess" I "feel" if you are playing carrier at that level, you really should know how to do the appropriate drops (manual/auto) and which targets to prioritize

Am almost thinking it might be worth it to grind the lines so people can beach at me like this :-) . 

Maybe the CV thought if they send planes to the rear, they could avoid all the cruisers. 

And by keeping their planes alive, they can continue to influence the match. I believe the lex strike only has enough planes to replace the full air group 2 times. 

If the CV tried to strike a Colorado with 2 cruisers nearby the player would have the real possibility of losing 1/3 of their planes.  With nothing to show for it cuz lel Defensive Fire. 

Edited by saagri

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

I feel you are generalizing all of us, I tend to go for isolated targets when there is a full team to support me but in a situation like that id go for the Colorado or maybe the Atago 

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

It's true, to an extent, that CVs have terrible team coordination when they are the class that benefits the most from it.  I always make sure to chat up my carrier and keep an eye on his aircraft, because they can be a tide-turner when used right.

That being said, if the Atago has Defensive Fire on standby then that Lexington wouldn't have been able to save your BB even if he tried and it was just the Atago.  Throwing a Colorado into the AA bubble means he's going to see 70-80% casualties and possibly even the loss of whole squadrons if he tries - despite whatever damage he does to that Colorado, short of killing him if he's on near-full HP that's not an acceptable trade for a CV in endgame. Lexington already has to pray to RNGesus to do anything to DDs, hence why American CV captains routinely ignore them.

Don't get me wrong, there are some head-smashingly dumb carrier players.  I had an AA Lexington try to bomb me for all 10 minutes he was alive, only to run smack into an AA-specced Atlanta I was sheltering with my Scharnhorst.  After he popped DF for the third time the CV just turned his bombers around without dropping their loads and still lost a good 75% of them.  He also thought my catapult fighter was panicking both DB squads at once and called me a hacker when the Atlanta's AA shredded the fighters that went in to take my catapult fighter out.

Edited by TenguBlade

In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
628 posts
14,537 battles

PM and let me know if that was me. If it was I apologize, but I do recall winning the round in the Lexington yesterday.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,321 battles

This is beginning to sound like a "he didn't do what I wanted" thread; BORING!!

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,845 battles

Not necessarily... If the other guy is a strike Lex <_< 

Strike Lex is the only way to play Lex.

Alpha Tester
1,914 posts
8,490 battles

Lexington driver says hi. :hiding:

If you have a replay we can critique his mistakes more in depth for you. Generally it boils down to the fact that many CV players are bad, some are downright terrible. This badness of CV play is exemplified in USN CVs as they require a higher skill ceiling due to their all or nothing style load outs on the Lexington, pretty much the reason why I picked up a CV so I can guarantee the potato isn't in one of the most influencing ships in the match.

Edited by GoldPile

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

WoWS/WG has said the loss of a carrier early in a match is generally a death blow for the team who lost their carrier. Can't say that for any other single ship in a match. You can try, but it'd be a lie. 

That's because they limit carriers to 1 or 2 per match, while all of the other ships you can see as many as 10 of them per team (I saw 2 teams with 9 cruisers each once).

Sign in to follow this