Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Is there anyway to combat torpedo bombers firing at almost point blank?

119 comments in this topic

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

Sorry for another CV whine thread but my New Mexico just ate 5 torpedos. I saw the bombers coming well before they were in range and took as much evasive action as this thing can maneuver, the torp bombers just jinked to the right, spun around, lined me up and from almost point blank and (500+ feet) they let loose, zero time to counter, ate every torp, health was smashed and the enemy BB I was fighting with happily finished me off.

It just seems a bit unfair (that old chestnut) that they can get this close, and let loose. I know this is just a simple RNG luck based arcade shooter but surely they should have a proper run up and low level release at a decent range like the pilots in WW2 had to master. Not spinning around like a SmartCar and dropping 5 perfectly lined up torps at a great height giving you all of 3 seconds to evade. Even the New Mexico with its decent AA defence failed to shoot a single plane down.

Is it game over when a CV wants you dead and you're in a painfully slow BB?

Sorry for the whiney post, just getting put on so many idiot teams tonight and having a long losing streak compounded by this event made me rage quit.

• Cool 2

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles

Turn into the torps. If they're very point blank range, then they may hit you before they arm.

• Cool 7

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,558 battles

Keep your nose pointed at the incoming bomber planes at all times. Keeps them circling, and your AA working.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,850 posts
30,540 battles

Get the AA module, it would help. Turn into the planes to get more plane kills, less planes, less torps to evade. In PvP if the CV player is good, this is about your only good option. Staying with someone with good AA helps as well, when you are by yourself you are just asking for a torping.

• Cool 1

Members
1,451 posts
11,022 battles

First thing try to go with your cruiser team mates. They can provide AA cover for you and CV captains usually do not wish to attack ships in close formation

Secondly you need to act early. Do not wait until they are dropping torps for reaction. Start turning the time you see there is a POSSIBILITY that the planes are coming for you.

Thirdly, turn into the torp planes, instead of turning out. I can't elaborate it here in detail, but mathematically you have better chance avoiding them in this way. Plus, if they dropping at point blank, you can disable the torps before they are armed.

Lastly, do not expect you can completely avoid CV torps every time. Imagine your main guns take 30sec to reload, no matter how potato you are, you can't miss every single shell...same apply to CV, the planes take mins to rearm and come to you, so expect some hit. Don't put false expectations as you can avoid all

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,659 battles

Keep your nose pointed at the incoming bomber planes at all times. Keeps them circling, and your AA working.

Except that Torp bombers turn faster than even destroyers can.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,659 battles

Turn into the torps. If they're very point blank range, then they may hit you before they arm.

I've seen CV drivers drop so close they screw up against AFK players. Once they lost a game because they just HAD to drip the torps 2 feet off the side from an AFK.

[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,323 battles

Get N.Cal and just shoot every plane down..

But from someone who plays a CV in the supremacy league your best bet is to stay with your team for a giant AA bubble.  CV's are not op unless you are talking about a Zuiho in a mostly Tier IV game.

[SPTR]
Members
28,224 posts
21,217 battles

List of things that can help:

• Point your bow or stern towards incoming torp bombers to minimize hits taken.
  • Stick in a group of friendly ships
  • Div up with another captain potentially aware of what's happening around them and is in a CV or a cruiser to give you cover from enemy aircraft.

Members
1,699 posts
9,031 battles

Sorry for another CV whine thread but my New Mexico just ate 5 torpedos. I saw the bombers coming well before they were in range and took as much evasive action as this thing can maneuver, the torp bombers just jinked to the right, spun around, lined me up and from almost point blank and (500+ feet) they let loose, zero time to counter, ate every torp, health was smashed and the enemy BB I was fighting with happily finished me off.

It just seems a bit unfair (that old chestnut) that they can get this close, and let loose. I know this is just a simple RNG luck based arcade shooter but surely they should have a proper run up and low level release at a decent range like the pilots in WW2 had to master. Not spinning around like a SmartCar and dropping 5 perfectly lined up torps at a great height giving you all of 3 seconds to evade. Even the New Mexico with its decent AA defence failed to shoot a single plane down.

Is it game over when a CV wants you dead and you're in a painfully slow BB?

Sorry for the whiney post, just getting put on so many idiot teams tonight and having a long losing streak compounded by this event made me rage quit.

remember CV capt always saying Cv's are not OP and they need buff:D
  • Cool 1

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Yes, yes there is.

Step 1: Pay **** attention to your surroundings.

Step 2: With Torpedo bombers- the planes are the torpedoes. You're not dodging torpedoes, you're dodging planes. Did I mention pay attention to your surroundings?

Step 3: Not just with TBs. You are a BB. You are slow. Your ship does not react quickly. You need to be using your head and thinking about both where YOU are and where your PREDATORS are- and position yourself in the best way to give them the worst time possible. You do not try to dodge torps when you see them. If you do- you will lose 100% of the time. That's INTENDED. You turn and adjust your speed- and torpedoes miss. It's almost like some sort of magic huh?

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
562 posts
1,852 battles

Grind to Iowa, Montana then use full AA setup = moving no flying zone.

But right now please trying to stick with your team cruisers, especially the US ones. their AA are scary.

ps. and do not sail alone.

Members
1,744 posts
8,862 battles

Some players are good, sometimes there is nothing you can do.

This.

Staying with your team helps, as does turning toward the bombers before they drop, but sometimes it's just your turn.

The good news is that most BBs can eat a torpedo drop once, and you might even be able to heal some of it. The main effect of that unavoidable drop is that you lose the ability to make other mistakes later. If you don't make mistakes, you might end up running around the entire match at 20% health, angling to reduce damage and healing what little gets through.

The other good news is that those perfect drops are pretty rare. The players who can do them are rare, and it's rare for them to pick you out of the crowd.

Beta Testers
153 posts
7,170 battles

You need to spec somewhat as a BB for your AAA to really protect you most of the time. Also New Mexico is right at the line between meh AAA and death star AAA once you get into Colorado. If you are away from friendly AAA in NM most CVs are gonna have their way. One thing to keep in mind to help though. Everyone says turn into them which is smart yes but if you see them coming far enough away and the angle is good, you can turn away from them so they have to fly around your ship for an idea drop. That will give you at least 5 or 6 seconds of extra AAA time on them and even more if you have AFT and other AAA focus on your ship/captain. You will notice a substantial jump in AAA power with Colorado though as long as you at least run AFT. After that, most CVs avoid USN BBs until tier 10 and even then, they usually deal with Yamatos first anyway.

Edit: Also a great tactic is to slam on the breaks as the TBs get about 3ish km out or just when you think they are committed to the drop and turn in or away. At low to mid tier games this tactic will work wonders and you'll take 1 or 2 torps against all but the best CV players if any at all.

Beta Testers
153 posts
7,170 battles

This.

Staying with your team helps, as does turning toward the bombers before they drop, but sometimes it's just your turn.

The good news is that most BBs can eat a torpedo drop once, and you might even be able to heal some of it. The main effect of that unavoidable drop is that you lose the ability to make other mistakes later. If you don't make mistakes, you might end up running around the entire match at 20% health, angling to reduce damage and healing what little gets through.

The other good news is that those perfect drops are pretty rare. The players who can do them are rare, and it's rare for them to pick you out of the crowd.

hehe it's funny you brought this up. I got deleted the other night in my Yamato with only like 30k damage done in the beginning of the match by a Hakuryu captain then like a match or two later he wrecked me in my Donskoi again lol. I messed up his run on a friendly Tirpitz with DF in Donskoi though so I guess I asked for that one.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

This.

I got deleted by Austia recently, absolutely nothing I could have done. Just how the game is.

Atago is long and Atago turns like crap, Def Fire doesn't last very long...

Tip ur cap and go to port.

Edited by slak__

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

^ That can save you from a few hits

But if the CV player is any good and the drop is on point you're smoked... gets worse when the IJN CVs start getting 3 squads.

What most players (Conservatively 80%, maybe more) don't get is that naval warfare has almost always been fleet/squad based. While I don't necessarily think CVs should be able to decimate a BB in 1 drop, that kindof is how it worked IRL, and the real problem IMHO isn't so much the CVs themselves, I think its more that the game doesn't truly encourage you to stick with the group and push an objective.

In your scenario, at Tier 6 with a NM the way it is SUPPOSED to go, especially early game, is that you'd have maybe a trio of CAs/CLs and a DD or 2 supporting you (Preferably an Atlanta or Cleveland among the CAs/CLs).

Unfortunately, the way the game usually looks, is that the CAs and CLs go hide behind rocks because they don't want to die to BB shells, The DDs run off to cap because lol-EZ-XP and invariably run headlong into the enemy DDs. And the BBs sit way out far afraid of getting torped or bombed because they have no one to screen planes or torps. To be quite clear, I can't blame cruisers for wanting hard cover (lol citadels from the front), and I cant blame the DDs for wanting more than a pittance of XP out of their game, and I cant blame the BBs for keeping some distance (SOME) for fear of a wall of torps.

When the majority of the player base is doing it wrong I think you'll find that it's usually the game's fault tbh.

• Cool 2

[2GOOD]
Members
942 posts
23,052 battles

It's a nice thought but ultimately if the CV player has the attention to spare, those torpedo bombers will just keep circling until your battleship drops enough speed and then you are an easy target. One of the biggest problems with CVs is that a good enough CV player using manual drops can delete any ship he chooses, so no wonder there's such hate towards them.
  • Cool 2

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

This drives me nuts as a CV player. Lit up a Kaiser for 4 torps that didn't register.

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles

This drives me nuts as a CV player. Lit up a Kaiser for 4 torps that didn't register.

Drop slightly further away then :P

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

The DDs run off to cap because lol-EZ-XP and invariably run headlong into the enemy DDs.  I cant blame the DDs for wanting more than a pittance of XP out of their game, and...

Um, capping is the single biggest variable for winning. I cap when I'm a DD because I like to win, not because lol-EZ-XP. 

DDs don't have the AA to make a huge difference anyway, so your theory of "everyone should stick together in task forces like WW2 because loltactics" is fail. In this game, DD's roles are, in this order, to  cap, scout, and hunt down enemy ships with torps and/or HE spam. 

Beta Testers
153 posts
7,170 battles

I run DF on gearing and fletcher and it has saved my stern enough to sell me on it. I even considered it on Benson.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles

Doesn't make it any less overpowered though. Everyone and their mother has known that in the hands of the top few percent TB's have had huge balance issues since the day they were introduced because those top players can nail even cruisers at will.

Sign in to follow this