Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mulletproof

CL14 Yubari - Second Salvo

11 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
4,017 battles

A History

I've been a longtime critic of the Yubari, and rightfully so in my opinion. Up until recent, the ship was a mess; literally made of glass and citadels with almost no redeeming value in terms of gameplay. Even now it's a ship of contradictions, somehow physically smaller than a T3 Tenryu, but with at least a 1.5km more visibility. Conversely, she somehow shares shoulder space with the St Louis which is basically a floating tank at only 1.5km less visibility. Huh? Though her torpedoes are sledgehammers, they're only functional well within your visibility envelope at 6km and accompanied by obnoxiously small firing arcs. Her guns are- were -a joke. At range, dispersion made them little more than a nuisance and their actual DPS was laughable at best. Even her hallmark anti-aircraft abilities were barely adequate unless you used your single charge of Defensive Fire. Lastly, the nitpickers amongst us noted that she was nowhere near her 1943 historical spec.

In short, the Yubari was Wargaming's redheaded stepchild of a ship, in no way, shape or form worthy of being called a premium ship. It was frustrating to play and the moment you were hit, you could almost guarantee more than half your HP would evaporate on the spot.

A Second Look.

The last few patches have brought some changes to the Yubari and with the new Armor Viewer, you kind of get why the Yubari seems to be held together with hope and unicorn dust. Before i go any further, I will say the new Yubari doesn't appear to just outright explode like the previous version. Instead of expecting every hit to shave off more than half your HP, it's more like a random number between a third and one half now. So they tweaked something, but it's still pretty brutal as you'll see.

post-1013646914-0-17922600-1474523923.jp

Yikes. If you ever wondered why the Yubari seems like it's made of anti-matter, this is the reason- A massive citadel riding high above the waterline that can be hit from nearly any angle by anything. At 57mm, nearly anything will slice through it and the 10mm of deck plating fore and aft might as well be tissue paper. Contrast this to the T3 Tenryu--

post-1013646914-0-14309200-1474523948.jp

First, we have the same citadel arrangement sitting obnoxiously high above the waterline, but with a twist: a 63mm band of armor to fortify it. Not that it does a whole lot of good from experience, but it is interesting to note the Tenryu entered service in 1919, the Yubari in 1923. Likewise, the Yubari's armor was historically flawed, but not in the way I'm seeing here. I would also post the St Louis to compare, but frankly that's a scary ship when you ply the Armor Viewer to it. No wonder it plays two tiers above its rating and there's a reason why i don't let them within gun range of my Yubari.

Is there any good?

Surprisingly, yes. The guns, first of all. At first the 140mm 2x2 setup doesn't exactly inspire. Loading AP is a complete waste of time and the HE makes you shrug, but it's your choices in life that make all the difference here. As stock weapons, they're slow to come to action and passingly accurate, yet better than before the update. The reload time is superior to most Japanese ships, but we can do better. Lets talk modules.

Slot #1 usually goes to Main Armament Modification (1) on damn near everything. Except here. Why? Because you're already made of glass. Anything that can take out a main turret or torpedo launcher probably just tore your HP and half your modules a new a55hole as well. Accept the fact that this ship is composed of styrofoam and play to its strengths. Since your only other weapon represents a suicidal charge into 6km when you were already seen at 9.5km, slap Aiming Systems Modification (0) on her instead.

• +20% to primary gun traverse
  • -40%(!!!!) to dispersion
  • +20% to torpedo traverse
  • Secondary armament lol
  • Secondary armament lol

Your main guns suddenly became very usable and amazingly accurate. Sure, we got a buff to the 120mm secondary that doubles as an AA gun, but that's a well known trolling attempt by Wargaming. Just pretend it doesn't exist, because the first two buffs by themselves are where the money is at. The second module really doesn't affect us a whole lot, but if you must know, I picked up Propulsion Modification (1). I figure I'd rather be turning in circles than sitting dead in the water /shrug.

Next we look at the Commander Skills. I'm only going to highlight the gun relevant ones.

Tier 1 [basic Firing training] - Changes to the skill mean that we miss out on half this skill's benefit by a single millimeter, but since we're a supposedly an AA boat as well. Pick up the +10% AA DPS that most definitely applies to the Yubari. Due to the fragility of the Yubari, I feel Basics of Survivability is a secondary concern, while the gun already loads fast enough to negate the Expert Loader perk.

Tier 2 [Expert Marksman] - Using this skill on top of Main Armament Modification (1) only makes things better. It means you can actively use the yubari's maneuverability to its utmost advantage while continuing to fire on target with minimal tracking lag. Once again, changes in the Yubari armament ensure we miss out on the best part of this skill, but I'm not turning down another 0.7 degrees/s traverse.

Tier 4 [Advanced Fire Training] - Because more AA. I didn't include Demolition Expert, but if you combine it with flags, could easily be a fun time to be had. By itself, however, 3% isn't going to win you any battles.

One overriding theme you may note is that the change many of the secondary skills really screwed the Yubari out of some great perks by a single millimeter. Instead, you get half a perk in most cases because the other half is applied to what is arguably the most lousy secondary in the entire game. Still, there's enough lemonade to be made out of these lemons and by the time you're done, you have a halfway decent gunboat with great traverse and laser accuracy that will even take DDs by surprise. Your reload time is low enough to where you can rain a steady stream of fire down on the enemy at long range if you space your shot intervals correctly.

Tactics

As good as that sounds, you're still made of glass. In fact, I would wager the Yubari has made me a better captain because it will absolutely punish you for sloppy playing. Run out ahead of the battle group and you'll get r@ped. Present anything even looking like a broadside and you'll get r@ped. Even DD guns will r@pe you, so you have to play smart.

Always Angle. ALWAYS. No, not because of your armor. If the enemy so much as shoots a spitwad at your hull, it will penetrate with disastrous effects regardless of the angle. I angle solely to provide the smallest aspect possible while keeping both guns in play. The moment an enemy fires, I do my best to straighten out against the shot. Simply put, you're a smaller target.

Don't play in the front. At least not at first. You do not want to be the first person to be spotted in a Yubari. If that sounds cowardly, take a moment to briefly scroll back up to that picture of the citadel zone. On that note....

Play in the chaos. Be patient. Protect those BBs from torpedo bombers for a bit. Your time to shine is when the main thrust of the engagement is starting to break off into individual gunfights. Use that range to your advantage and rain HE down from afar. Keep an eye on those ranges because eventually those gunfights degenerate into close quarters combat. Distraction is your best friend. The Yubari has the speed to close range quickly against an unaware BB and even an aware BB driver is going to find it hard to gun down a minimally angled Yubari closing to within 6km. Wait for the salvo, take your lumps and now you have 30 seconds of reload time with which to turn your full broadside into the ship, dump torpedoes and run. Also, harass the hell out of them. You probably won't be doing significant damage to bigger targets, but they'll eventually get tired of the HE rain you can pump out. Harry them until you piss the opposing team off.

Play smart. You're not an endurance fighter. In and out; keep your angle minimal, drop the shells and maneuver against return fire before breaking off. You've got the speed of a DD, so normally the engagement is yours to make or break. Use islands to your advantage. You may not have the visibility of a DD but you can still ambush like one... Just remember the penalty for failure is usually lethal since you lack boost and smoke...  And have a giant bullseye about the side and length of your torpedo window painted on the side of your ship. Likewise, it's hard not to notice you parking behind an island from 9km away unless you played the chaos well enough.

Hunt DDs.They're even less armored than you are, though your massive citadel evens the odds out a lot. Still, you've got the maneuverability and assuming you followed the above build to some degree, have super accurate guns as well that can keep up with them in a turning knife fight. Even so, they'll know you're coming before you know where they are. Keep your aspect minimal against them at all times and you should be able to evade their torps while putting rounds into them.

Cap, Cap, Cap! Besides a DD, you're one of the few ships that can break contact and make high speed runs for strategic positions. I usually consider this one of my primary jobs since other ships are better DPS platforms. Don't blindly charge into a fortified position, but if yo see an opportunity, chances are you're one of the few that are fast enough to capitalize on it.

Would you buy it again?

Hell no. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting ship with historical significance within the IJN, I actually like it. But that would be the only reason to buy The Melon. Even with several hundred Yubari battles under my belt, it's not an easy ship to win with and that's a consideration you have to take into account when buying a premium ship. Sure, you can train your captain for free and yeah there's bonus XP, but you have to have some semblance of a level playing field to make that time versus effort equation worth while. The Yubari continues to be at the far end of that spectrum. It's not a user friendly ship or even a beginner's ship. The amount of effort you have to put out to simply maintain parity, let alone not watch the boat completely explode because of random shell placement is enormous. In fact, I fail to see how you could ever train your captain up enough using a Yubari to make it worthwhile when you could do so with more competent non-premium ships, even with the retraining penalty. I'm not saying you can't do well in the boat, just that your time is probably better spent anywhere else.

post-1013646914-0-44486900-1440147322.jp

As mentioned above, it's still a very confused ship in terms of implementation; like how a Tenryu is somehow less visible than a Yubari continues to elude me except because, for reasons. I'm all for some slight historical hand-waving, but nearly every bit of it seems to fall against the ship, not for it. Without Defensive Fire, even the Yubari's much vaunted AA becomes exceedingly mediocre, while the 120mm secondaries output of 3(!) dps continues to be a running joke amongst its owners. Even the Melon's nuclear tipped torpedoes require enduring 3km of visibility before use. Incidentally, the Tenryu only has a 1.3km visibility to torpedo gap before camo and perks. Which one of these ships is premium again? 

Still, I like it. When you win in this ship, you earned it. You walk away from matches with three to four kills knowing you worked your a55 of to get them.

TLDR; The Yubari is a marginally more survivable with a simultaneous buff (mainly through modules) and a nerf (by decreasing the skill/caliber) to its main armament. Realistically, it's only a hair more playable than before and still not worth the designation of premium ship.

MelonX.jpg

tenryuX.jpg

• Cool 1

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,768 posts
4,462 battles

If anything, OP made me go look at the St. Louis and wonder how the hell it is what it is....

But yea, Yubari. I can't say I've ever thought she was a good ship, but I have had a few outstanding games in her which may of biased me to saying it is a "not bad" ship, all in all.

Beta Testers
898 posts
14,840 battles

Ye after that small buff with HP and those aiming slot she promoted from worst ship ever to jsut bad ship / in good way/ now is a bit playable. 

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

Well, contrary to most opinions, I like it a lot. Ok, so bad torp arc and engine's going out constantly aside, it really will make you a better cruiser player. You have to constantly keep moving, jinking a lot. Good practice if you ever get around to playing Pensacola or New Orleans.

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

Great writeup, OP.

I really like the ship, and can often do quite well with it.  You cannot, of course, be out front or get focused by multiple enemies.  But you are an excellent force multiplier.  Battleship engaged with two of your friendlies?  Perhaps it would like to be on fire in two places as well!  Your DDs have just uncovered enemy DDs in torpedo alley?  Add in some hyper-accurate support fire from 9 km out!

Your excellent maneuverability means that you can often out-dance anything firing at you at range (tier 4 BB dispersion and player skill doesn't hurt either), when you don't flat out outrange them (as with T3 BBs).  While the detectability is not as good as some of its peers in an absolute sense, the HUGE window between your maximum range (which you can use all of, because of your accuracy) and your detection means you can choose your engagements and disengage really easily, and be positioned optimally at the moment you do shoot.  If the Pensacola, just to name a higher-tier floating citadel that came up in passing (held together by "hope and unicorn dust," was it?), had a similar window, that ship would be a whole different proposition.

I don't have a dedicated captain in mine.  I find when I rotate in my IJN DD captain - 10 pts with BFT, TAE (pretty much useless on Yubari), SI, and SE - I tend to enjoy the experience more than when I am running my Aoba captain - 11-12 pts with BoS, EM, Vigilance, and AFT.  Since DF is the only thing that makes your vaunted AA abilities actually do anything, it is nice to have an extra charge, and 1600 extra hp is one extra sneeze before Yubari goes bye-bye.

Favorite Yubari experience to date was getting a CQE with my sole, 120 mm secondary gun.

I'd buy again.  Certainly unique, certainly not OP, but one of my more enjoyable purchases.

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

Oh, and AP is not completely useless if a tier 3-5 cruiser not named St. Louis or Furutaka is giving you flat broadside for an extended period of time, which tier 3-5 cruisers sometimes do.  Still, as you say, mostly HE for the win.

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
4,017 battles

Great writeup, OP.

I really like the ship, and can often do quite well with it.  You cannot, of course, be out front or get focused by multiple enemies.  But you are an excellent force multiplier.  Battleship engaged with two of your friendlies?  Perhaps it would like to be on fire in two places as well!  Your DDs have just uncovered enemy DDs in torpedo alley?  Add in some hyper-accurate support fire from 9 km out!

Your excellent maneuverability means that you can often out-dance anything firing at you at range (tier 4 BB dispersion and player skill doesn't hurt either), when you don't flat out outrange them (as with T3 BBs).  While the detectability is not as good as some of its peers in an absolute sense, the HUGE window between your maximum range (which you can use all of, because of your accuracy) and your detection means you can choose your engagements and disengage really easily, and be positioned optimally at the moment you do shoot.  If the Pensacola, just to name a higher-tier floating citadel that came up in passing (held together by "hope and unicorn dust," was it?), had a similar window, that ship would be a whole different proposition.

I don't have a dedicated captain in mine.  I find when I rotate in my IJN DD captain - 10 pts with BFT, TAE (pretty much useless on Yubari), SI, and SE - I tend to enjoy the experience more than when I am running my Aoba captain - 11-12 pts with BoS, EM, Vigilance, and AFT.  Since DF is the only thing that makes your vaunted AA abilities actually do anything, it is nice to have an extra charge, and 1600 extra hp is one extra sneeze before Yubari goes bye-bye.

Favorite Yubari experience to date was getting a CQE with my sole, 120 mm secondary gun.

I'd buy again.  Certainly unique, certainly not OP, but one of my more enjoyable purchases.

Yeah, Low-Tier BB dispersion is the about the only thing that makes overt torpedo runs even remotely successful.

CQE with the 120mm? I bow before your greatness. :honoring:

Edited by Mulletproof

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Really wish there was a hull option for her first configuration where we get rid of the 120mm and the AA and gain a pair of 140s in single turrets so it's 1/2/2/1 setup.

Cause frankly the AA for Yubari is pathetic IHMO. Plus 1 stock charge? Should be unlimited like Atlanta.

Sign in to follow this