You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Crap_Shoot

WG, it's time to buff the Mikasa

96 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
422 posts
6,659 battles

And you can't hand wave this away with the previous excuse of "not enough people play it for us to bother", because a few months ago you set up a mission and handed them out like candy.  The ship needs some love, and now enough people have it that y'all should put buffing it back on the table.  Especially as it has been indirectly nerfed/power crept several times.  Since I got mine in December for the Christmas ornament contest, the following changes have weakened the Mikasa:

1. It can no longer see tier 1s.  It is now stuck being bottom tier effectively every match.
  2. Derkzi torpedo range was buffed to 4km.  The one DD in the game that was forced into the secondary danger zone (3.8km maximum assuming AFT and flag) can now launch 10 torps from relative safety.
  3. German BBs.  Tier 3 BBs are already incredibly dangerous as the Mikasa trails in every stat, but now the two newest additions to the T3 pool have arrived and they are the arguably the most powerful ones yet - Nassau and Konig Albert.  Both are nearly impossible to citadel and the Albert is almost laughably OP (I have one, it's completely ridiculous at T3).

The problem with the Mikasa is your primary guns are terrible.  You get half the number of shells per salvo than any other battleship you meet, the dispersion makes the Myogi feel downright accurate, and basically everything you could possibly fight will outrange you.  The few that can't aren't in much danger as the odds of landing more than a single shell per salvo are on par with being eaten by a shark IRL.  Mikasa is just stupidly easy to kite.  It' slow and lumbering, but that's to be expected.  The only thing this ship has going for it are it's secondaries, but unless someone is brave or stupid enough to get less than 3.8km from you, they won't do any good.  And half the time, those that do get that close happened to have torpedoes.  Good luck dodging full spreads at farting range.

It really wouldn't take much to make this boat marginally competitive in the new low tier meta.  I have a few ideas, and any one of these would fix this ship:

1. Buff the dispersion.  At 4 shells per salvo, individual misses are enormous DPM penalties.  If everyone else gets twice the firepower, why can't the Mikasa get some reliability with what little it gets?
  2. Buff the reload.  Same idea, every BB you face gets at least twice the DPM.  If Mikasa could reload faster, it might actually stand a chance in a brawl.
  3. Buff the range.  Unless dispersion is improved, this would be a rather crappy buff, but it would be something, I guess.
  4. Buff the secondaries!  Seriously, this thing is all about secondaries.  Why not give it the best secondaries ever?  Buff the range, buff the accuracy.  Let's give Mikasa special access to the Secondary Modification 2.  Max range of 4.56km with AFT and flags, and 20% better accuracy.  Let it rival the Germans.

This ship is not good, but it is almost fun.  Let's elevate it to at least "decent" and actually fun.  Please.

• Cool 11

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

1. Buff the secondaries!  Seriously, this thing is all about secondaries.  Why not give it the best secondaries ever?  Buff the range, buff the accuracy.  Let's give Mikasa special access to the Secondary Modification 2.  Max range of 4.56km with AFT and flags, and 20% better accuracy.  Let it rival the Germans.

Forget everything else, just want a secondaries buff. I think this ship is fun (or could be) but the fact the Mikasa never gets to be top dog (no T1) really sucks.

[Y81]
Members
836 posts
4,556 battles

They REALLY said "not enough people play it for us to bother"?

Was that on NA,where they first refused to let it be sold cos 'reasons',then awarded it for a competition last year,then finally did a 150 kill mission so people could get it.And you need to be really good to make it work in Random ( I can only get it to work in Co-Op! ).

At the last the main gun dispersion being fixed would be good.Watching one turret putting its 2 shells on opposite sides of the map,and the other being practically on top of one another EVERY salvo is odd,and frustrating!

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

It's the Mikasa.  Does anyone really care?

Does this thread exist? Are people agreeing with it? If the answer to either of those questions is "yes," (which it is, by the way), then people do, in fact, care. Is it a hill worth dying on? No, probably not, but the way the game is right now, Mikasa isn't really worth taking out of port.
  • Cool 1

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

As mohawk said- it's the mikasa.... who cares?

Besides- she's nowhere NEAR as bad as you and the others with your... opinion... of her make her out to be. Her main cannons are more than fine for the tier she's in. If they were actually accurate all the time she'd be OP as all hell.

Alpha Tester
1,914 posts
8,490 battles

I care, give her some decent secondary range for one.

Edited by GoldPile

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

As mohawk said- it's the mikasa.... who cares?

Besides- she's nowhere NEAR as bad as you and the others with your... opinion... of her make her out to be. Her main cannons are more than fine for the tier she's in. If they were actually accurate all the time she'd be OP as all hell.

I know, right? I mean, the Albany has a higher average damage, but hey, cruisers pretty much always do more damage than battleships. Destroyers too, because Tachibana has a higher average damage than Mikasa. 

But you're right, there's no reason to buff it. It only goes up against ships with 2x or more firepower. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,360 posts

But you're right, there's no reason to buff it. It only goes up against ships with 2x or more firepower. 

With slightly more accurate guns, more range, a tad bit faster, and with more HP and armour. Completely fine

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

With slightly more accurate guns, more range, a tad bit faster, and with more HP and armour. Completely fine

Yep. Working as intended.

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Yep. Working as intended.

It's already working as intended. It's already fine.

Who the hell is so sad that they'd care THIS MUCH about making even a free giveaway T2 premium OP? Seriously. Let it go. It's f-ing T2. Anyone that has the mikasa already has an advantage over all the newbies running around in those matches because they're experienced players.

Edited by Stratego89

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

It's already working as intended. It's already fine.

Who the hell is so sad that they'd care THIS MUCH about making even a free giveaway T2 premium OP? Seriously. Let it go. It's f-ing T2. Anyone that has the mikasa already has an advantage over all the newbies running around in those matches because they're experienced players.

Uh. No they don't? Almost all tier 2 ships outdamage the Mikasa. The only ships that don't are the gunboat destroyers and Chester, because the Chester is awful. 

If their intent was to make a ship nobody wants to play, then yes, it is actually working as intended. But, since she only sees tier 3 games and is never top tier, the Mikasa is in an exceptionally bad place. Making it competitive does not mean making it OP. But, since anything with a battleship tag is the antichrist to you, there's no real reason for me to be making this argument. 

Edited by SergeantHop
  • Cool 1

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

Anyone that has the mikasa already has an advantage over all the newbies running around in those matches because they're experienced players.

And is that why the Mikasa is the third worst tier II by damage (using two week, 10+ solo battle stats) and worst tier II by WR and exp/game?

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

Hey look, what I was saying back in March of this year.  I guess I'll +1 on it too,

Count me in with wanting better ranged secondaries.  If the base range was 4km and you could have both the module and the captain's skill (or not even the module(, it would be perfect (of course, without touching the other aspect of the ship lest it becomes OP)

It would rival the secondary range of the Nassau and König Albert, which is enough IMHO, tho more would make the ship awesome.

Members
921 posts
13,862 battles

Ahh - the Mikasa - I had completely forgotten about that lonely, little ship.

Its been many a moon since we sailed together, paddling our way towards the fighting that often left us behind, dispersing out shells into the ether.

Thank you for the reminder that I need to sell that useless tub and free up a port spot.

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Uh. No they don't? Almost all tier 2 ships outdamage the Mikasa. The only ships that don't are the gunboat destroyers and Chester, because the Chester is awful. 

If their intent was to make a ship nobody wants to play, then yes, it is actually working as intended. But, since she only sees tier 3 games and is never top tier, the Mikasa is in an exceptionally bad place. Making it competitive does not mean making it OP.

But, since anything with a battleship tag is the antichrist to you, there's no real reason for me to be making this argument. 

Who cares... it's T2. You don't want balance- you want Mikasa to absolutely wreck everything she comes up against because you have a fixation on premiums being OP.

Their intent was to put a fun, gimmicky, historical ship that didn't even fit into the existing "regulations" they have for adding ships; into the game- and they succeeded at it. Working... as.... intended.....

"Making it competitive..." .................. we are talking about T2. Stop taking seal clubbing so damn seriously you prick. That's just completely messed up.

Ok- seriously. What the actual ****. "Anything with a battleship tag is the antichrist to you". How the HELL did you even formulate that conclusion in your head? What is going on up there with you? Are you that butthurt about someone thinking a ship is fine without being OP at seal club tiers before it even gets in the hand of experienced players that you start spewing random insults and garbage?

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

And is that why the Mikasa is the third worst tier II by damage (using two week, 10+ solo battle stats) and worst tier II by WR and exp/game?

Sure it is. Because my comment there operates under the assumption that those experienced players actually have half a brain. We're talking about the WoWs community. Only about 20% of them have that. :)

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Hey look, what I was saying back in March of this year.  I guess I'll +1 on it too,

Count me in with wanting better ranged secondaries.  If the base range was 4km and you could have both the module and the captain's skill (or not even the module(, it would be perfect (of course, without touching the other aspect of the ship lest it becomes OP)

It would rival the secondary range of the Nassau and König Albert, which is enough IMHO, tho more would make the ship awesome.

Back in March, she didn't really need the buff. It's only been the last couple of patches where the deficiencies really shined through, because there is only extremely rarely an only tier 2 battle. Most of the time she gets put in with tier 3 anymore, where there's not a snowball's chance in hell she can be competitive. 

I personally didn't mind the gun accuracy on Mikasa. Sure, frustrating at times, but when RNGsus smiled upon you, you might land a couple shells, which would often do not inconsiderable damage.

Unless you were in a tier 3 game and they just bounced off that Kawachi.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Who cares... it's T2. You don't want balance- you want Mikasa to absolutely wreck everything she comes up against because you have a fixation on premiums being OP.

Their intent was to put a fun, gimmicky, historical ship that didn't even fit into the existing "regulations" they have for adding ships; into the game- and they succeeded at it. Working... as.... intended.....

"Making it competitive..." .................. we are talking about T2. Stop taking seal clubbing so damn seriously you prick. That's just completely messed up.

Ok- seriously. What the actual ****. "Anything with a battleship tag is the antichrist to you". How the HELL did you even formulate that conclusion in your head? What is going on up there with you? Are you that butthurt about someone thinking a ship is fine without being OP at seal club tiers before it even gets in the hand of experienced players that you start spewing random insults and garbage?

Lol. That's all I have to say to this.
Edited by SergeantHop

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

It was a reward ship. Don't like it, don't play it. Or sell it. I'd rather them spend time fixing more important ships. 

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

Back in March, she didn't really need the buff. It's only been the last couple of patches where the deficiencies really shined through, because there is only extremely rarely an only tier 2 battle. Most of the time she gets put in with tier 3 anymore, where there's not a snowball's chance in hell she can be competitive.

I personally didn't mind the gun accuracy on Mikasa. Sure, frustrating at times, but when RNGsus smiled upon you, you might land a couple shells, which would often do not inconsiderable damage.

Unless you were in a tier 3 game and they just bounced off that Kawachi.

As long as she meets T3 she needed a buff for sure.  At least if for nothing else than to be PvP competitive (Which she definitely wasn't, hence the low damage).

Members
1,515 posts
8,453 battles

The mikasa both deserves and needs some help from the devs.   What are they afraid it will be OP if they change anything?   Considering how much the nassau and konig albert can curb stomp seals and they still see plenty of teir 2's.... I think it's safe to give the mikasa a bit of love.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

Members
1,515 posts
8,453 battles

Because an OP T2 Battleship is what this game really needs....

About as much as it needs a UP one...  Nobody is asking for it to be OP, it's currently very far from it.  It's somewhere between completely useless and nice to look at.

Considering the history of the ship and the fact she was the most powerful ship of her time, it should maybe be a little less pathetic?

Edited by Hangoverhomey