Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Tone down Citadel Damage

27 comments in this topic

Members
1,651 posts
20,692 battles

If you want to give ships more of a fighting chance make citadel hits less damaging.  One shell from a yamato placed well into the side of a Iowa can take half the HP that seems a bit extreme.  One citadel hit to just about any cruiser can lead to 3/4 or more HP loss.  A slight adjustment to citadel damage might lead to more ships in general  Being in the fight a little longer and being slightly more aggressive.   

• Cool 3

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,039 battles

err, I have a yamato, and while yes the shells are quite brutal a single yamato shell shouldn't be taking half of an iowa's HP.... 

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

If you want to give ships more of a fighting chance make citadel hits less damaging.  One shell from a yamato placed well into the side of a Iowa can take half the HP that seems a bit extreme.  One citadel hit to just about any cruiser can lead to 3/4 or more HP loss.  A slight adjustment to citadel damage might lead to more ships in general  Being in the fight a little longer and being slightly more aggressive.   

One citadel from a Yamato takes away half of Iowa's HP? Or 3/4 of a cruiser's HP? What game are you playing? 

[SCCC]
Members
2,845 posts
11,099 battles

Um no you need to get better at angling even a yamato she'll might pen but it might not be a cit

Alpha Tester
1,152 posts
1,454 battles

The problem is when a volley is able to land multiple citadels because of a tight dispersion, which always sucks.

being insta-dropped by a multi-cit volley is never fun, never will be. 

[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
415 posts
10,351 battles

One shell from a yamato placed well into the side of a Iowa can take half the HP that seems a bit extreme

Err no, that is not one citadel, but 2-3 of them in one salvo. Probably a big indicator that you should avoid broadsiding them in the Iowa, or any ship for that matter.. Anything can citadel the Iowa for large chunks of its HP just cause it's so easy to citadel in contrast to other ships.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,635 posts
9,525 battles

The problem is when a volley is able to land multiple citadels because of a tight dispersion, which always sucks.

And then the next 4 salvos bracket the target.
  • Cool 1

Members
1,651 posts
20,692 battles

So when you see 1 citadel hit that means how many shells penetrated to cause that citadel? Even if you got multi citadeled in something like Iowa unless they were magazine citadels  wich most arent there mid ship engine room.  The ship should not be deleted you would think.  Plus if you have ever been on the wisconsin and walked that thing bow to stern you would get the same feeling.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[SPTR]
Members
4,023 posts
1,090 battles

There are quite a few things that can insta-drop you. Learn from your mistakes and make sure it doesn't happen again.

oXtbs1e.jpg

Members
1,651 posts
20,692 battles

Here is the thing guys you all think im getting my self citadeled and this is me trying to help myself its not.   The forum is littered with posts about ships die to fast and people arent aggressive enough.  Its a not a wine about getting citadeled post its an observation about the damage caused by hits to ships that exceed what damage would really be caused by a real citadel hit to a heavily armored warship.  

Alpha Tester
1,152 posts
1,454 battles

There are quite a few things that can insta-drop you. Learn from your mistakes and make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'm not sure where you are going with this post but RNG in shell dispersion isn't avoidable, and that's what I was talking about. I was mentioning how getting multi-cit'd in that specific scenario is never fun.

However thank you for the reminder that I am playing a game that's focus is in successful sailing to minimizing damage from enemy fire.

Edited by MobileChernobyl

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Here is the thing guys you all think im getting my self citadeled and this is me trying to help myself its not.   The forum is littered with posts about ships die to fast and people arent aggressive enough.  Its a not a wine about getting citadeled post its an observation about the damage caused by hits to ships that exceed what damage would really be caused by a real citadel hit to a heavily armored warship.  

A citadel hit is a shell detonation in a vital part of the ship. I don't see why is shouldn't cause massive damage. Anyways, a ship like the Yamato can take multiple citadels without dying. 

[SPTR]
Members
4,023 posts
1,090 battles

I'm not sure where you are going with this post but RNG in shell dispersion isn't avoidable, and that's what I was talking about. I was mentioning how getting multi-cit'd in that specific scenario is never fun.

However thank you for the reminder that I am playing a game that's focus is in successful sailing to minimizing damage from enemy fire.

Well basically if you alternate speed and direction enough, you can make it incredible difficult for enemy ships to accurately place enough shells in an area to just delete you. So it becomes even rarer. And in that sense it can be compared to torpedoes, you won't always dodge them all but you can keep from always being hit :)

Alpha Tester
1,152 posts
1,454 battles

Well basically if you alternate speed and direction enough, you can make it incredible difficult for enemy ships to accurately place enough shells in an area to just delete you. So it becomes even rarer. And in that sense it can be compared to torpedoes, you won't always dodge them all but you can keep from always being hit :)

I'm aware

[CUTER]
415 posts
10,351 battles

So when you see 1 citadel hit that means how many shells penetrated to cause that citadel? Even if you got multi citadeled in something like Iowa unless they were magazine citadels  wich most arent there mid ship engine room.  The ship should not be deleted you would think.  Plus if you have ever been on the wisconsin and walked that thing bow to stern you would get the same feeling.

Yes, every Citadel hit ribbon you see is one shell that found its way into the citadel. Citadel hits do not add on to actually Shell Hit ribbons, they count as a hit on their own. So, if you fire a double turret and one shell hits the citadel, it will show 1 hit to citadel and 1 Shell hits (if the other shell actually made contact). And if both those shells hit the citadel, 2 Citadel hits, 0 shell hits.

Video is just for example, but if you notice after my salvo, I have only one "Target Hit" ribbon (which was an overpen), and 7 Citadel ribbons on top of that.

And for the whole citadel damage thing, probably just a case of: 

Did shell hit the ship? y/n

If yes, did shell hit citadel? y/n 

If yes, do X amount of damage.

I'd reckon it'd be a lot of work to even think about changing that around, so I think it'll be like this for a long time. But honestly, I think citadel damage is fine where it is. Makes people think about their decisions more carefully. Campers and people who sit at the back are their own thing. You don't need to go to those lengths to survive..

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

I agree with this general idea. Battleships don't need to be able to 1 hit cruisers to be cruiser counters. We all know it. Battleships are too strong against cruisers. When carriers were sinking whole teams, they got hit hard . When DDs were too strong against battleships, their torpedoes got big nerfs. It's our turn. I just hope for a slightly more deft hand than what has been used to balance the 2 lines of CVs though, cause I honestly think that's the most poorly done balancing act I've ever encountered in a game.

Edited by Captain_Dorja

[-K--]
8,172 posts
10,845 battles

If you want to give ships more of a fighting chance make citadel hits less damaging. 

Ships already have a fighting chance. Well, if the captain has heard of the WASD hack, that is.

[_TWP_]
Members
611 posts
6,839 battles

You may have a point about the effect that high-damage hits have on gameplay. I have a friend who contends that one of the problems with high-tier gameplay in World of Warships is that ships are sunk too quickly, and that leads to excess caution on the part of players.

However, I believe your view that citadel penetrations deal unrealistically high damage is in error. Everything within the armored citadel of a warship is rather important, and much of it is very volatile. A naval artillery shell detonating next to or inside boilers, turbines, shell rooms, or propellant magazines causes catastrophic damage. For instance, Scharnhorst was crippled by a 14" shell that detonated in a boiler room.

Edited by BGolightly

[WAP]
Beta Testers
797 posts
10,513 battles

You want to complain about cit damage needing to be reduced? Well if they do that, they damn well better reduce dispersion and make the guns I'm firing hit what I'm aiming at not just 2 out of 9 barrels hitting around where I aimed.

Edited by RockaholicRaven

[NDA]
Beta Testers
5,251 posts
8,893 battles

Stop going broadside in Iowa. 

[CVRME]
[CVRME]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,942 posts
10,652 battles

Going Broadside in Iowa is suicidal.  If you must fire all 3 guns, consider angling in or away, then firing the broadside.  

Having a 15 point or higher captain trained in CE along with the concealment module would allow you to bring her along with camo down to a surface detection range of 12.2km.  From there, simply angle and stay at medium ranges, angle, then fire so that you won't be seen as you expose your broadside prior.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

I haven't walked along the Wisconsin but i have on the USS Iowa and i can't figure out how it has anything to do with pixel boats.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

1: A single Yamato shell does about 14k citadel damage. Taking off half an Iowa's HP would require a fair bit more shells.

2: 

Fat, juicy citadel hits are what all BB drivers live for.

Sign in to follow this