Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Roadrider7021

New Cruiser Rudder Shift Module

24 comments in this topic

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
1,082 posts
41,469 battles

It seems to me that the proposed new rudder shift module for slot 6 on Tier 8-10 cruisers is getting to be a bit much. A rudder shift of ~ 4 seconds? The game right now is an acceptable if arcade like blend of reality and playability, but seriously, a Mogami tossing it's rear end around like a Blyskawica or Mahan? Holy steering gears batman, this is starting to stretch the suspension of disbelief. There has to be a better way to make high tier cruisers more viable, be it economic, armor or concealment. As a cruiser main and player of 4k + battles, I don't want to start playing a cartoon. Is this "fix" to high tier cruisers part of their "over arching" theme of creating more aggression? Epicenter, BB bow armor nerfs, changing the in game economy to keep aggressive players earning the same and penalizing so-called campers, now steering gears for cruisers more at home on a Gearing. Is the game to become a rock 'em sock 'em shooting arcade or a game of tactical skill and position? The Queen can kill from across the board, it's a tactical reality in chess that can be dealt with. It should be a feature of this one too.

Beta Testers
1,011 posts
4,573 battles

It seems to me that the proposed new rudder shift module for slot 6 on Tier 8-10 cruisers is getting to be a bit much. A rudder shift of ~ 4 seconds? The game right now is an acceptable if arcade like blend of reality and playability, but seriously, a Mogami tossing it's rear end around like a Blyskawica or Mahan? Holy steering gears batman, this is starting to stretch the suspension of disbelief. There has to be a better way to make high tier cruisers more viable, be it economic, armor or concealment. As a cruiser main and player of 4k + battles, I don't want to start playing a cartoon. Is this "fix" to high tier cruisers part of their "over arching" theme of creating more aggression? Epicenter, BB bow armor nerfs, changing the in game economy to keep aggressive players earning the same and penalizing so-called campers, now steering gears for cruisers more at home on a Gearing. Is the game to become a rock 'em sock 'em shooting arcade or a game of tactical skill and position? The Queen can kill from across the board, it's a tactical reality in chess that can be dealt with. It should be a feature of this one too.

this is a ARCADE GAME and you lose the concealment module or the acquisition one so its a decent trade 

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

I agree it's just a bit too much- though I haven't tested it personally so my opinion here is to be taken with a grain of salt. This coming from someone who loves cruisers. I think the general idea behind it was to offer cruisers a way to not get nuked by BBs at high tier because they don't need as long to react with it- but the thing is that's not fixing the problem and forcing people to make a choice isn't a choice.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

To be honest though, it feels awesome to dance around the map with a cruiser using that module. It doesn't really fix their problems, but being able to dodge like that made them a bit more fun?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,333 posts
8,606 battles

The ONLY thing Mogami needs is a turret traverse buff just enough to put it in line with Myoko... nothing else or any more... current rudder shift module is quite plenty...

Members
781 posts
9,892 battles

everything changes with new ships... like how the british cruisers are being designed around no HE

with the bow armor nerfs along will come AP only for battleships... WG is forcing us to play how they want... no tactical options whatsoever

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,964 battles

It was overrated when I tried it on PTS. The turning circle is still just as big, so the actual course change you can achieve remains modest.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Well it's not going to see all that much use, because you know, concealment module = life. But i do think -40% might be slightly over the top. Maybe what they should have done is put it in the same slot as the current rudder modification, and then make it -30% to rudder shift. 

• Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

There are very few CAs I would be willing to trade away concealment for more rudder shift, CA rudders are already pretty fast anyways. Maybe if the mod reduced the turning radius but not for a faster rudder. 

Beta Testers
533 posts
10,674 battles

This is a straight-up buff to the high tier Russian cruisers.  Period.

Think about it.  Their weakness are, according to WG, (a) visible from very long distances and (b) having relatively poor maneuverability.  These two deficiencies "compensate" (ha!) for them having either rapid-fire super-long-distance flamethower cannons, or (in the Moskva's case) flat-out absurd railguns.

So, if your detection radius is already terrible, and suddenly a new module drops from the sky that essentially allows you to negate one of those two "disadvantages," why wouldn't you take it?

This as opposed to, say, USN and IJN cruisers, which have to take stealth modules to have a chance of getting into truly effective gun range (or, alternatively, being able to invisi-fire).

[O7]
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Think about it.  Their weakness are, according to WG, (a) visible from very long distances and (b) having relatively poor maneuverability.  These two deficiencies "compensate" (ha!) for them having either rapid-fire super-long-distance flamethower cannons, or (in the Moskva's case) flat-out absurd railguns.

So, if your detection radius is already terrible, and suddenly a new module drops from the sky that essentially allows you to negate one of those two "disadvantages," why wouldn't you take it?

This as opposed to, say, USN and IJN cruisers, which have to take stealth modules to have a chance of getting into truly effective gun range (or, alternatively, being able to invisi-fire).

Generally the VMF CAs have bad turning radius and pretty decent rudder shift. The only one that is not is the Moskva which for whatever reason has the best tier 10 CA turning radius in the game. 

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

if it goes into the same slot as concealment... I'm not even sure which cruiser I would bother equipping this on.

maybe Ibuki would stand to benefit being spotted a bit closer, but being able to WASD most incoming fire

Beta Testers
533 posts
10,674 battles

Generally the VMF CAs have bad turning radius and pretty decent rudder shift. The only one that is not is the Moskva which for whatever reason has the best tier 10 CA turning radius in the game. 

And, again, this module will be taken by those cruisers that do not rely on stealth to be effective, which will take a line with "decent rudder shift" as you say, and turn it into "the line with monstrously, hilariously, unbelievably quick rudder shift, way better than its tier contemporaries!" which will make trying to hit these things at range (because why do they need to get close with guns like that?) go from aggravating to a plain non-starter.

So they don't have to get close, they'll have even less reason to worry about long-distance return fire, and they never really needed to worry about the stealth module (or the acquistion module -- does anyone take that?!) anyway, so they're not sacrificing anything important to obtain the new module's benefits.

Yeah, it's a straight up buff for the Russians.

As for "whatever reason," I can only answer "because Russian."

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

if it goes into the same slot as concealment... I'm not even sure which cruiser I would bother equipping this on.

maybe Ibuki would stand to benefit being spotted a bit closer, but being able to WASD most incoming fire

Dimitri, Moskva

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I considered taking it on the Mogami, because Mogami needs to WASD like crazy to make up for its low-ish range and weakish armour, but then i remembered that even now, a tiny shift in the rudder throws her guns off. 
  • Cool 1

[IN3PT]
Beta Testers
1,703 posts
6,511 battles

So. Much. Truth. It. Hurts. 

This is only not an automatic choice for Chapayev since max stealth allows it to do that thing that 155mm Mogami got bludgeoned with the nerf bat for being able to do. Seriously considering stealth fire chappy for ranked this time around, between the early game utility of radar and late game BB BBQ, this might be the one useful cruiser. 

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
1,082 posts
41,469 battles

I would find it tough to give up CE on my IJN and USN CA's. And believe me, on face value,any tool is a boon if it makes my cruisers better. I would love to use this rudder shift on Hipper or Roon for example. Even if turn rate and radius are the same, it looks fun and definitely makes over 15k shots against you chancy as the ability to change your projected course is a whim away. And torpedo beats, well, man that's going to be cool too. Yes, I can already see the power creeping stealth nerf to DD's thread forming... My real objection to RCM3 is it just doesn't look right. There HAS to be something else to buff cruisers a little that doesn't affect DD's too.

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

I tried the rudder shift module. I didn't like it. Rudder shift is rarely a problem I have in any cruiser (turning circle improvements might be nice - particularly for a class ostensibly intended to counter the most torpedo-focused class), and I don't think it made much difference for trying not to get deleted by battleships (at the very least when it comes to situations other than "RUN AWAY!"). Especially given that you have to give up the concealment module for it, and it's usually worth a lot more if you aren't seen in the first place than if you can fishtail better.

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,591 posts
5,060 battles

I had a pretty lolsy game in the New Orleans on the PTS with both modules stacked up. I was DD'ing my way through everything. 

best I've ever done in the NO bar none. 

[O7]
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

And, again, this module will be taken by those cruisers that do not rely on stealth to be effective, which will take a line with "decent rudder shift" as you say, and turn it into "the line with monstrously, hilariously, unbelievably quick rudder shift, way better than its tier contemporaries!" which will make trying to hit these things at range (because why do they need to get close with guns like that?) go from aggravating to a plain non-starter.

So they don't have to get close, they'll have even less reason to worry about long-distance return fire, and they never really needed to worry about the stealth module (or the acquistion module -- does anyone take that?!) anyway, so they're not sacrificing anything important to obtain the new module's benefits.

Yeah, it's a straight up buff for the Russians.

As for "whatever reason," I can only answer "because Russian."

It does not matter how fast the rudder shift is if the rudder is completely ineffective. The Chappy for example has an 890 m turning radius that is 230 m larger than the NO while a rudder shift less than 3 seconds longer. It does not matter what your rudder shift is when it takes 900 m to turn the ship around the big killer for the lack of agility is still there. On top of that when using concealment and CE the VMF DDs get longer ranged radar than their spotting rang which means they dont have to guess when a ship spotting them is in range which is a big advantage. 

The only ship that might use it effectively is the Moskva.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I had a pretty lolsy game in the New Orleans on the PTS with both modules stacked up. I was DD'ing my way through everything. 

best I've ever done in the NO bar none. 

4-5 second rudder shifts on a cruiser does sound pretty fun, although i do prefer concealment. 

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,591 posts
5,060 battles

4-5 second rudder shifts on a cruiser does sound pretty fun, although i do prefer concealment. 

Honestly I do too, but on the PTS with concealment on the captain and the permanent camo its still workable. 

The spotting range when you fire is too big and sticks too long after you fire anyway, at least its easier to evade :V

Sign in to follow this