You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaborneSumo

Scharnhorst Torpedo Turret Traverse

12 comments in this topic

[--V--]
Members
1,602 posts
14,841 battles

During a match today I found myself between 2 Tirpitz'.  Both within 3 Km from me.

I launched torps at 1 and immediately changed view to launch torps at the other.  However, I couldn't immediately do so.  My torpedo's had to 'traverse' 180 degrees in order for me to launch.  By the time I did, the Tirpitz was not at an angle from which I could launch.

This is a design error.  The Scharnhorst torpedo turrets are unique for each side.  The port can't launch to starboard and vice versa.  This also means, the port turret shouldn't have to traverse 180 degrees at ANY time in order to launch.  Not sure if this is the same on other large ships with torps, but will check out my Tirpitz next.

• Cool 1

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

At most, the turrets would have had to traverse 90 degrees. When you're looking to the other side of the ship, turrets that are out of arc will move to the angle closes to where your aim currently sits. So, if you're aiming to the left forward of the ship, the torpedo launcher on the right is going to come to rest at its forward stop, basically parked. If you then quickly switch to the right aft of the ship, the torpedo launcher then has to swing into position to fire on this new target. Since the launchers don't know you're planning on doing, they cannot anticipate where you might want to aim, and will have to move accordingly.

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

At most, the turrets would have had to traverse 90 degrees. When you're looking to the other side of the ship, turrets that are out of arc will move to the angle closes to where your aim currently sits. So, if you're aiming to the left forward of the ship, the torpedo launcher on the right is going to come to rest at its forward stop, basically parked. If you then quickly switch to the right aft of the ship, the torpedo launcher then has to swing into position to fire on this new target. Since the launchers don't know you're planning on doing, they cannot anticipate where you might want to aim, and will have to move accordingly.

This isn't always true.  There are some DDs that have port and stbd side torps, but the torp is capable of rotating a full 360, so you have to wait if you want to switch sides.  I guess the same is true with this ship.

Members
3,594 posts
7,435 battles

During a match today I found myself between 2 Tirpitz'.  Both within 3 Km from me.

I launched torps at 1 and immediately changed view to launch torps at the other.  However, I couldn't immediately do so.  My torpedo's had to 'traverse' 180 degrees in order for me to launch.  By the time I did, the Tirpitz was not at an angle from which I could launch.

This is a design error.  The Scharnhorst torpedo turrets are unique for each side.  The port can't launch to starboard and vice versa.  This also means, the port turret shouldn't have to traverse 180 degrees at ANY time in order to launch.  Not sure if this is the same on other large ships with torps, but will check out my Tirpitz next.

Its a game design restriction. Its designed as if you ONLY have ONE aim point no matter how many launchers you have. You cannot lock any launchers with CTRL-X independently. ONLY one aim selection. If you locked one side and aimed it at the middle and locked it in the middle as an example - The OTHER side is BLANK .   Sucks really as its not ...well playable or realistic..but hey this is an arcade game so don't expect too much.  

[--V--]
Members
1,602 posts
14,841 battles

Checked it out again and saw the following:  When going to the port side, the Starboard tubes are either at 0 degrees or 180 degrees relative bearing.

Stupid,,, but I guess its the way the game is designed.   And the Scharny's turrets are very slow.

Members
1,650 posts
1,608 battles

I main Scharnhorst these days - honestly, the situation you describe only occurs once in a blue moon. Does it happen? Yes. But I can count the number of times that two enemy teammates have decided to offer themselves up as sacrifices to my noble boat, being doubly generous to sail on either side of me, on about two fingers. 

Edited by Battlecruiser_Tiger

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

This isn't always true.  There are some DDs that have port and stbd side torps, but the torp is capable of rotating a full 360, so you have to wait if you want to switch sides.  I guess the same is true with this ship.

I've never seen that. If you have, it was likely a bug. No ship with waist torpedo launchers has 360 degree traverse. And, in fact, I don't think any torpedo launcher has 360 degree traverse. 

I have just checked in the training room, Scharnhorst's torpedo launchers park at full forward, and about 20 degrees off full aft. 

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

I main Scharnhorst these days - honestly, the situation you describe only occurs once in a blue moon. Does it happen? Yes. But I can count the number of times that two enemy teammates have decided to offer themselves up as sacrifices to my noble boat, being doubly generous to sail on either side of me, on about two fingers. 

Quite true, though bots do it all the time. Kinda funny.

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

I've never seen that. If you have, it was likely a bug. No ship with waist torpedo launchers has 360 degree traverse. And, in fact, I don't think any torpedo launcher has 360 degree traverse. 

I have just checked in the training room, Scharnhorst's torpedo launchers park at full forward, and about 20 degrees off full aft. 

I think we're talking about different types of ships.  I agree on cruisers and BBs, that none rotate 360 that I'm aware of.

There are plenty of DDs, however, that have 360 torp launching.  Most IJN DDs certainly do.  My Kami R can fire all three sets from either side.  Come to think of it, so can the Fubu, I'm sure others can as well, I think the Mahan does.... so I'm sure there are more.

I think what the OP was experiencing is that if you're aiming off the Port quarter for example, the stbd torp launcher will be aimed at the stern of the ship because that's the closest to where the user is aiming.  If they then swing their aim around to the stbd bow to fire stbd torps, they'll have to wait for the stbd aft-facing torps to come forward "180 degrees".    If the ship is designed where the torps when facing aft can, in fact, rotate beyond the aft-facing centerline, then it's totally possible that the launcher has to traverse 180 degrees.

Edited by MadCaptain_2016

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I think we're talking about different types of ships.  I agree on cruisers and BBs, that none rotate 360 that I'm aware of.

There are plenty of DDs, however, that have 360 torp launching.  Most IJN DDs certainly do.  My Kami R can fire all three sets from either side.  Come to think of it, so can the Fubu, I'm sure others can as well, I think the Mahan does.... so I'm sure there are more.

I think what the OP was experiencing is that if you're aiming off the Port quarter for example, the stbd torp launcher will be aimed at the stern of the ship because that's the closest to where the user is aiming.  If they then swing their aim around to the stbd bow to fire stbd torps, they'll have to wait for the stbd aft-facing torps to come forward "180 degrees".    If the ship is designed where the torps when facing aft can, in fact, rotate beyond the aft-facing centerline, then it's totally possible that the launcher has to traverse 180 degrees.

Firing on either side is not 360 degrees of traverse. Most have on the order of 270 degrees for centerline mounted stations. Yubari has around 200 degrees. Additionally, the torpedo launchers on Scharnhorst have a pretty significant offset from dead astern, and therefore never travel 180 degrees. At most I'd put it at 150-160 degrees total traverse, with an arc that extends no more than 130-140 degrees. 

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

Firing on either side is not 360 degrees of traverse. Most have on the order of 270 degrees for centerline mounted stations. Yubari has around 200 degrees. Additionally, the torpedo launchers on Scharnhorst have a pretty significant offset from dead astern, and therefore never travel 180 degrees. At most I'd put it at 150-160 degrees total traverse, with an arc that extends no more than 130-140 degrees. 

You're splitting hairs here to defend your argument.

Traverse simply means travel, not firing capability.  Although they can't fire at 360 degrees, they can travel in complete circles.  I can watch my IJN torp tubes spin circles around my ship all day long.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

You're splitting hairs here to defend your argument.

Traverse simply means travel, not firing capability.  Although they can't fire at 360 degrees, they can travel in complete circles.  I can watch my IJN torp tubes spin circles around my ship all day long.

No...they cannot. Name a ship that can do that.