Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ni_ynn

Best use of IJN BB?

14 comments in this topic

[GAMMA]
Members
21 posts
2,856 battles

Other day I got snivelled at a few times, by DD drivers, because I was staying at range in my Nagato and sniping.  Seems when I try to get anywhere near 15km range I just get wrecked by other BB's.  I even tried to brawl a new york and he wrecked me at under 5km.  Later I was sniping a Bismark and Nagato from long range.  The Nagato went down in 3 or 4 volleys with two citadels however my shells appeared to be made of rubber against the Bismark.

Am I playing these things right?  Need some advice.  I am usually more a brawler but wanted to try IJN purely because they look better overall.

Oh and yes I do keep my bow forward and angled only showing when I need to fire...

Edited by Ni_ynn

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

IJN aren't brawlers, and they will also be punishing people for hanging back with the new scoring system. I'd switch the German, they are the brawlers supreme right now.

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

You can't cit German BBs at nearly any range.  You have to fire them to death.  IJN BBs can be cit'd because their not made of German Steel.  

Angle your BB, don't take on more than one... use WASD frequently to avoid DDs.

For German BBs, I usually aim above the belt armor for penetration damage... seems that I can get about 10-12K per salvo with this method in my Nagato.  Takes a while, and if they cit me with a bunch of pens in one salvo, I'm done.

Edited by MadCaptain_2016

Members
5,202 posts

You can't cit German BBs at nearly any range.  You have to fire them to death.  IJN DDs can be cit'd because their not made of German Steel.  

Angle your BB, don't take on more than one... use WASD frequently to avoid DDs.

For German BBs, I usually aim above the belt armor for penetration damage... seems that I can get about 10-12K per salvo with this method in my Nagato.  Takes a while, and if they cit me with a bunch of pens in one salvo, I'm done.

I think you mean IJN BBs. 

Regarding OP, the IJN battleships aren't brawlers. That club is dominated by the German battleships. Even USN battleships have better brawling abilities than IJN. While I would never suggest sitting entirely in the backfield, you certainly have to be careful not to get too close in IJN battleships. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

I have more time in IJN BBs than any other type of ship, so maybe I can help... 

Once you get to Kongou, you really need to be selective about your brawling. You just are not armored like any of the other BBs you're going to be facing, and you can be beat up pretty bad by some cruisers if you give them a flat broadside to shoot AP at, especially if they're higher tier than you. 

You don't want to shoot at max range because your hit rate is going to suffer, badly, but you also don't want to be in the front line. Try to move with your team, stay angled (even if it means you can't use all your turrets while receiving fire) and try to keep meatier US or German BBs between you and the enemy. 

Consider brawling toward the end of the match when you can keep clear ocean to one side and you aren't going to be in a crossfire. You do /not/ lead the charge in an IJN BB unless the odds are in your favor. You aren't much of a tank. Heck, Kongou isn't even /technically/ a battleship, but a battlecruiser. Nagato is a battleship, but she's still better in the back row of your fleet. Again, not the back of the map, the back of your fleet. Move with it but at the back. 

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Oh, and regarding shooting a German BB at long range, don't aim at the waterline. Aim a bit higher. You want to bring the shells down on their deck or against the upper belt armor where it's thinner. If you shoot their water line at max range, you'll get mostly bounce. 

Aiming for the deck can even result in some lucky citadel action if you land shells on turret tops. I've gotten a handful of them that way vs Tirpitz and others. 

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

IJN battleships are most useful at medium ranges (8 - 12 km). They don't have great maneuverability and their armor can feel lacking at times (but they're not terrible for their tier), but their guns are quite good.

Members
71 posts
5,699 battles

I'm going to echo Aegis on this one. Nagato is a mean, mean girl between 11 & 14 km and has decent secondaries if you need to move in to brawl late game. Use the higher speed of the Japanese BBs to keep a good map position and engage with higher numbers. 

Edited by CNitram

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

Take it with a grain of salt but I've always broken down the BB's the following way:

German 0.1km -> 5km

USN       5.0km ->12km

IJN         12km or more. 

With the speed of the IJN BB's over the others you can move in and out, closer and further easier, and at range it's harder for some to keep Situational Awareness.  So if you keep an eye out for targets of opportunity you can catch them off guard while they're angling or engaging an enemy, but unaware you're staring at them.  The range allows you to react to incoming shells, which makes it easier to avoid damage as opposed to relying on armor.  That's not to say you can't close in against the USN and Germans, but you've got to be especially careful of angles.  If you're only a little bit off you'll pay for it, and given the large rudder shift time you have on the IJN BB's it's harder to accomplish. 

But again, I'm more of a USN and German BB player, just unlocked the Fuso while I'm at Colorado and Gneisenau in the other lines, should give you a general idea of how often I play them, so my advice might not be the greatest. 

Edited by vonKaiser

[GAMMA]
Members
21 posts
2,856 battles

Ok so 11 to 14km.  Will give it a shot.

In those ranges are the Nagatos angling toward the other ship or away?

[SIMP]
Members
1,747 posts

Consider the Nagato a cruiser with BIG battleship guns.

Its armor is absolutely horrid, even angled. The Kongo, two tiers BELOW it, has better armor (just look at the new Armor windows in port) and IT is looked at as a glass canon (Battlecruiser).

Use your speed and range to your advantage, and always, ALWAYS stay angled to enemy ships (even cruisers and destroyers as even they will tear right through the tissue paper armor).

The Nagato has a pretty decent secondary gun arrangement, but don't use it for brawling - you will only get mauled. They are there pretty much to scare/heavily damage CAs and DDs that are trying to close for a torp run on you.

If you play Nagato like a cruiser with massive guns, you can't go wrong.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,180 posts
30,938 battles

Until Tier IX & X when German BBs can potentially field 420mm guns, I'd rate IJN BB guns as the best in the game;  Their performance at range is not laughable like the Germans who until Tier IX, need to creep close.  Even then at high tiers, Amagi has her great dispersion values while still sporting 406mm, and Yamato is still gonna Yamato with her mighty 460mm guns.

Another plus?  With the soon to hit Bow Armor nerf, this affects a number of high tier BBs.  Some more than others.  But Amagi?  She's the one least affected, because she never relied on Bow On tactics anyways.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this