Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

Why do some ship mods have negative effects?

6 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

And why do a vast majority of them ONLY give positive effects?

quick ref: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades

Slot 1: Purely buffs

Slot 2: This is the first slot we see a mod giving negative stats, as a trade-off, MBM2, but all the other ones are purely buffs

Slot 3: This is the second slot we see a trade-off mod, MBM3 and TTM3, but the rest are purely buffs

Slot 4: Purely buffs

Slot 5: Purely buffs

Slot 6: Purely buffs

IMO, they should all be consistent and only give positive buffs or they should all have trade-offs

For instance, take MBM2. When you take that mod, you've already chosen to not give your weapons nice buffs that ASM1, APPM1, SBM2 or AAGM2 would have given.

However, you are further punished by being given a reload speed penalty

If MBM2 is to be done correctly, there should be no reload penalty

MBM3 is slightly more justified in giving a traverse penalty, as it gives a RoF bonus, but this is, again, not done correctly. The ships that would normally take this already have plenty of turret traverse speed to spare. The ships that don't typically mount this are ships like Yamato and Iowa, that shouldn't turn often or brawl anyways. Ships like Ibuki and Zao, which have short range, but also have horrible turret traverse also do not use this and end up using APPM2.

TTM3 is the other mod that has a trade-off. Interestingly, TTM3 gives a knockout penalty, rather than traverse penalty, unlike MBM3.

If slot 3 is to be done correctly, then they all need to offer some form of trade-off penalty

Why should only slot 3 be given penalties? Because the ships that can normally* use them are T9/10, where their power inflation over T7/8 ships become ever apparent.

*Yeah, I know, Ark Beta

For example

MBM3: keep as is

TTM3: keep as is

GFCSM2: medium dispersion penalty beyond stock range

APPM2: secondary and/or AA penalty

FCM2: airplane survivability penalty

AGM3: attack aircraft speed penalty

AAGM3: secondary RoF penalty

SBM3: AA DPS penalty

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 1

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I say keep it as is, or change all mods to positive effects only (of course, the buffs will be have to be reduced in order to compensate for the loss of a negative effect.)

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

I thought the whole point was that you had to choose one out of "many." Weighing the options on which one benefits you the most. They're all fine to me. I don't see a need to change them. Although, I've heard rumors we're getting more options in some slots.

• Cool 1

[USCC]
Members
3,911 posts
19,267 battles

I thought the whole point was that you had to choose one out of "many." Weighing the options on which one benefits you the most. They're all fine to me. I don't see a need to change them. Although, I've heard rumors we're getting more options in some slots.

^^ exactly.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

We get a -40% to rudder shift for cruisers, but it's in the same slot as the concealment module. It's not going to see a lot of use in that slot for IJN and USN CAs. But they already have good rudder shifts anyways.