Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

Roger Blough at Sunrise

10 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

I drove up to Two Harbors early Monday morning hoping to catch my beloved Roger Blough pulling out of the ore dock. Now, if you know the Roger Blough you know that she's almost always running late, she was scheduled to depart between 5-7 AM so I shot for 6:30. I got there too late to watch her pull out, but still came away with these gems.

Just had to share 'em with you all! :)

Hint: click on the images to make them fit in the screen

CFbAsuR.jpg?1

JgJtA3L.jpg?1

But seriously, the one time the Blough is on time!! :angry:  You'd think Hell had frozen over or something! :rolleyes:

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Glad for the up date, Nice to see the old girl is well again. :great:

Yeah they patched her up real quick, was only in dry dock for a month and a half.

She must really be a money-maker, many had written her off for scrap after her grounding.

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

Nice shots! The Great Lakes are truly a great place to live.

Members
5,450 posts
21,054 battles

Yeah they patched her up real quick, was only in dry dock for a month and a half.

She must really be a money-maker, many had written her off for scrap after her grounding.

Bunch of negative whines who only see dark clouds. 

Sometimes is easier and cheaper to fix what you have rather than buy something new. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,209 posts
15,770 battles

I always liked the Ryerson for being so unique compared to all the other lakers but it hasn't been out for a few years. You can see her near the Harvest States elevator when you cross the Blatnik bridge from Duluth.

NiED91Q.jpg

The Alpena heading to the Wisconsin entry at oh-dark-thirty when I worked at a place on Connors Point.

Image0021_zpsdn9gqfyy.jpg

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

I always liked the Ryerson for being so unique compared to all the other lakers but it hasn't been out for a few years. You can see her near the Harvest States elevator when you cross the Blatnik bridge from Duluth.

-snip-

Sorry man, but I 'hate' the Ryerson like I 'hate' the Bismarck. Just get sick and tired of all the fan boys, Paul R Tregurtha is also another over-hyped ship. I like busting people's bubles by telling them that the PRT is not the biggest ship on the lakes, some of them even get all offended over it.

I dont know, just seems like people only like the PRT because she's the 'biggest' (she's not).

But seriously, I have nothing against the Ryerson, just the over-hype she gets. One thing's for sure, now that the Munson is no longer a steamer, the Ryerson has got THE best horn on the lakes, maybe even in the world!

RIP Munson's horn :(

And of course I've seen the Ryerson! I know every ship on the lakes, I love warships... but the freighters are my obsession. :P

Here's one I took this Spring with the Tim S Dool in the background, a rare modern photo of two straight-deckers in one picture!

nqRAHw3.png

Edited by dseehafer

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,209 posts
15,770 battles

Yeah, I get tired of the hype that the Ryerson is the most beautiful ship on the lakes too. My liking for it is based on it looking different than every other laker.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Yeah, I get tired of the hype that the Ryerson is the most beautiful ship on the lakes too. My liking for it is based on it looking different than every other laker.

Well at least you have a good reason. ;)

Hey, you wanna know the most under-hyped and unappreciated ship on the lakes?

The poor 'ol John D Leitch

Image result for john d leitch

Talk about unique! Unfortunately, some would prefer to use the word 'ugly' instead of 'unique'. :(

I remember being up at the Soo a few years ago... the Leitch was the next boat on the schedule and I remember overhearing a conversation that two other boatnerds were having...

Person 1: Johny Leitch is next, wanna stick around?

Person 2: The Leitch? Naw, I'd rather see my grandmother naked than to have to look at that floating eye-sore!

And the folks on FOKYS are no better! :sceptic:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,209 posts
15,770 battles

That is unique, the forecastle looks like it they took the aftercastle off one of the heavy lift salties that have been bringing in wind turbine parts the last few years.

Sign in to follow this