Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Team killer for a single DD shell?

27 comments in this topic

Members
3,114 posts
13,609 battles

I understand if I get marked as team killer for a stray torp, or maybe BB broadside, but one single DD shell for 410 damage?  Jeez, you guys have it way too sensitive I tell ya...  :amazed:

3GgGrxZ.jpg

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,725 posts
26,569 battles

Did your fire kill an ally?

Members
3,114 posts
13,609 battles

Negative.  I was firing on Bismark, and friendly DD that was almost dead ate one shell...  It did sink it, but come on, isn't it a bit harsh?  Meh, it's okay, it will go away soon enough.  I was just surprised you can get marked as team killer for one tiny DD shell.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles

Did your fire kill an ally?

This.  I am fairly certain being a team killer does not require you killing your entire team.  If you take an action, and that action results in the death of a non-enemy player (bot or human), you are, by definition, a team killer when you take all of his health, whether it is his entire health pool or just the last few points he had left.

The facts seem to be, you shot your guns.  One of those shots killed a friendly player.  That make you a team killer (even though he was probably not very friendly after you killed him).

Edited by Sotaudi

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

I hit a guy that was .5km ahead of me while I was firing at targets 11km away, a single shell hit him and he went ablaze... Needless to say I was dumbfounded when I sank him, I tried to make sense of the situation, but just like a car accident, he was so enraged I couldn't explain the situation. You know, he had 20k left in him, but my fire that somehow didn't get put out killed him. :/

Members
2,304 posts
11,472 battles

This.  I am fairly certain being a team killer does not require you killing your entire team.  If you take an action, and that action results in the death of a non-enemy player (bot or human), you are, by definition, a team killer when you take all of his health, whether it is his entire health pool or just the last few points he had left.

The facts seem to be, you shot your guns.  One of those shots killed a friendly player.  That make you a team killer (even though he was probably not very friendly after you killed him).

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/6/

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,725 posts
26,569 battles

Negative.  I was firing on Bismark, and friendly DD that was almost dead ate one shell...  It did sink it, but come on, isn't it a bit harsh?

So your fire did kill an ally, despite all your 'negative'ing. There is no magical amount of damage that is 'ok' to do. If your fire kills an ally, you are a teamkiller. It's that simple. Yeah it sucks, it might even be harsh but it is what it is.

as you said, the pink will go away soon enough. Nobody cares about pinkness anymore anyways.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,320 battles

Agree. Even if it is only one hit point, if you took it away, you are the teamkiller.

Members
713 posts

I went pink in late July or early August from 1 single shell from my Isokaze.

I was backing up a Wyoming against a Clemson that was hunting the BB. The Wyoming had already used his repair from the 1st strike by the Clemson when the Clemson exposed himself between 2 small islands. I was passing behind the Wyoming hunting the Clemson. 1 shell from my volley over the Wyoming caught his rear smokestack and set him afire. He burned to death just before his repair regen'd. So I smoked both the Clemson and my team mate Wyoming.

Beta Testers
2,327 posts
3,235 battles

similar to other stories here, i have been pink once since beta. a few weeks ago in either kaiser or bayern i fired and a few shells nicked and finished off a friendly BB (i though he was far enough away, guess not) who had 2-3k HP left. i turned pink for my five games...nobody ever said anything in the following matches, being pink is very common these days.

then over the weekend a stray torpedo does 10k to a CA who stopped and reversed after i launched, didnt turn for that one...(its been a rough couple weeks for me and team damage lol).

OP, just be sure to be extremely careful in the next five matches, this will reset for even scraping the paint off of someone.  

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

I think there should be a minimum damage of 100 as well as a team kill to go pink.  I think a lot of trolls get on here who are still butthurt about getting torped through the ages and want to crucify people for what should be non-offenses.  For one thing... it doesn't help you win to kill a team member.  Another thing.. a 'spy' player trying to throw the game isn't going to do much with under 100 damage.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,192 posts
15,767 battles

I think there should be a minimum damage of 100 as well as a team kill to go pink.  I think a lot of trolls get on here who are still butthurt about getting torped through the ages and want to crucify people for what should be non-offenses.  For one thing... it doesn't help you win to kill a team member.  Another thing.. a 'spy' player trying to throw the game isn't going to do much with under 100 damage.

I don't think there is any safe amount of damage to allow before it is called team killing. The griefers found ways around the previous versions of the TK rules and they would find a way to abuse even as small an amount as 100, better to just live with what we have now.

[HINON]
Members
3,375 posts
32,582 battles

I wonder if the current pink policy has succeeded in reducing team kills and damage from friendly fire in general?

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
15,598 battles

well...i get the pink marks from playing me Atlanta all the time.  wither its my torp or the rain of fire.  that one shell or torp was enough to keel an almost/already dead friendly.  its a "Facepalm" but as long as you don't have other senseless players that are so eager to be in the line of fire, within the next few games....pinks goes away.  just let it go...move on to the next game.  

although some, may be that ignorant and kall you a "Team Killer" like you did it on purpose.  [edited]! 

unless you did do it on purpose...in which case...you either are the Gas-hole...or the one you killed...was on your black list....now for that reason i admit to have kill the punk. (no regrets about getting the pink for that...and will continue to do so till i never she that name again). buwhahaha

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Meh you are pink for 5 games without doing further team damage, big deal. Just joke with everyone and say you are promoting breast cancer awareness.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,192 posts
15,767 battles

I wonder if the current pink policy has succeeded in reducing team kills and damage from friendly fire in general?

Maybe not the accidental TK's but I haven't seen or heard of an intentional one since the new rules were put in.

[GAMMA]
Members
909 posts
18,341 battles

Not sure. Its definitely succeeded in reducing the stigma around turning pink though.

Maybe not the accidental TK's but I haven't seen or heard of an intentional one since the new rules were put in.

I've reported a few intentional team kills since the new rules went in effect. One particular incident from July I think stands out in my mind. A mixed division (1 DD, 1 Chester, and 1 St. Lo) decided to start shooting each other instead of the enemy. (I'm pretty sure it started with the St. Lo firing on the Chester but its been several patches ago so I couldn't check even if I still had that particular replay file.) By the time they were done the Chester was dead, the St. Lo was either dead or no health, and the DD was almost dead. The 3 other ships on that flank were completely unsupported and ran smack into about half the enemy fleet and were eaten alive. I sent that replay in to support within 5 minutes of the match ending since they very likely cost us the match by being idiots.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,192 posts
15,767 battles

Not sure. Its definitely succeeded in reducing the stigma around turning pink though.

I've reported a few intentional team kills since the new rules went in effect. One particular incident from July I think stands out in my mind. A mixed division (1 DD, 1 Chester, and 1 St. Lo) decided to start shooting each other instead of the enemy. (I'm pretty sure it started with the St. Lo firing on the Chester but its been several patches ago so I couldn't check even if I still had that particular replay file.) By the time they were done the Chester was dead, the St. Lo was either dead or no health, and the DD was almost dead. The 3 other ships on that flank were completely unsupported and ran smack into about half the enemy fleet and were eaten alive. I sent that replay in to support within 5 minutes of the match ending since they very likely cost us the match by being idiots.

That must have been very shortly after the current rules were put into effect. With how the current rules work that kind of grief by suicide becomes self defeating as WG has also been making regular passes through the data base and either giving vacations or outright bans for excessive team killing.

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,843 battles

I'm 99% sure that's the case, though having confirmation from WG would be nice.

[BLKHS]
Members
102 posts
14,067 battles

While I am ENTIRELY on board with what WG is aiming at with the team killer effort, I do think the code needs to be worked on some more.  Like the lead on this thread, I just got branded for trying to help a team mate avoid getting sunk, and one shell killed him and so I get branded TEAM KILLER.  I mean, he was 95% dead before my ONE shell hit and killed him.  Yes, it came from one of my guns, yes, I accept the damage I did to him.  No, I was not being careless, and no, I am not one of those who shoots at team mates.  It was not my intention to him my team mate, but since he was just behind the enemy ship which was trying to kill him, one of my shells sailed right over the deck of the enemy ship and killed... my own team mate.  Very sorry for that.  My point?  I, like the original poster, think that while the code may not be able to understand my intentions (well, it can't do that), it could account for the fact that it was one shell, and maybe not brand me at all, OR brand me for only one game instead of five games.  That would be helpful.

Please, don't be a [edited]and tell me "Well, you did it, take the brand" or "your shell hit a team mate, so you were careless" or something stupid like that.  I'm approaching 2500 games, so I know how it works.  I just would like to see a bit more specificity written into the code to compensate between a one shell error (if you can call it that, fine by me) and a far more eggregious error like firing a full spread of torps right into a team mate.  Honestly, I am of the mindset to help my team mates, to a fault.  Stuff happens, in games and in real life.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,192 posts
15,767 battles

While I am ENTIRELY on board with what WG is aiming at with the team killer effort, I do think the code needs to be worked on some more.  Like the lead on this thread, I just got branded for trying to help a team mate avoid getting sunk, and one shell killed him and so I get branded TEAM KILLER.  I mean, he was 95% dead before my ONE shell hit and killed him.  Yes, it came from one of my guns, yes, I accept the damage I did to him.  No, I was not being careless, and no, I am not one of those who shoots at team mates.  It was not my intention to him my team mate, but since he was just behind the enemy ship which was trying to kill him, one of my shells sailed right over the deck of the enemy ship and killed... my own team mate.  Very sorry for that.  My point?  I, like the original poster, think that while the code may not be able to understand my intentions (well, it can't do that), it could account for the fact that it was one shell, and maybe not brand me at all, OR brand me for only one game instead of five games.  That would be helpful.

Please, don't be a [edited]and tell me "Well, you did it, take the brand" or "your shell hit a team mate, so you were careless" or something stupid like that.  I'm approaching 2500 games, so I know how it works.  I just would like to see a bit more specificity written into the code to compensate between a one shell error (if you can call it that, fine by me) and a far more eggregious error like firing a full spread of torps right into a team mate.  Honestly, I am of the mindset to help my team mates, to a fault.  Stuff happens, in games and in real life.

The problem with any cushion is the griefers would find a way to abuse that cushion. In the early TK rules there was an unstated amount of damage that they could do before turning pink but they very quickly learned what that limit was so the could continue do their griefing without getting branded. I would rather deal with occasionally turning pink when I make a mistake than allow any way for the griefers to rampage again. 
Edited by BrushWolf

[BLKHS]
Members
102 posts
14,067 battles

The problem with any cushion is the griefers would find a way to abuse that cushion. In the early TK rules there was an unstated amount of damage that they could do before turning pink but they very quickly learned what that limit was so the could continue do their griefing without getting branded. I would rather deal with occasionally turning pink when I make a mistake than allow any way for the griefers to rampage again. 

Understood.  My only desire is for it to be understood that there are those who team kill on purpose, then there are those dumb butts (usually newer players) who just have little idea what they are doing, especially with torps, and there are honest, admitted stray shots.  There's always a jackwagon out there who says "If you kill a team mate, for any reason, then you are stupid, yadda yadda yadda."  That kind of statement itself is stupid, but impulsive people will say impulsive stuff, I guess.

Sign in to follow this