Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Battleships carried their own smoke screen (Sensational! Clickbait!)

37 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

Observe if you will this link to a page with an embedded video.

At about 56 seconds into that video there's a battleship firing a full broadside, and laying down its own smoke screen. Now, I know that the game mechanics in WoWS say that firing your guns makes you a lot more visible for 20 seconds, but historically firing your guns caused a bright flash, then obscured your ship because of the smoke from firing.

Yeah I know this isn't the designed meta of WoWS and I'm not asking for a change. Just figured this was interesting to show.

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

> Looks at title

> Goes into rage

> Ignores body

*ahem* 

LERT, HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST SUCH A THING!!! 

> RANT

> RAGE

> THREATS

> BAN

> Gets Moderated

Lert got dat mod account. :D

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

I still want more spectacular rendering of large caliber guns firing

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

I still want more spectacular rendering of large caliber guns firing

IKR? Real infernos, sheets of flame, rather than what we have now, puffs of orange.
  • Cool 1

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
6,193 posts
4,955 battles

Thought you were going to mention how most (if not all) ships could make their own smokescreen by burning extra fuel oil in the stack or the boilers.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Pretty sure most who have played it would agree that this effect really adds to the immersion in Naval Action.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,321 battles

IKR? Real infernos, sheets of flame, rather than what we have now, puffs of orange.

When an Iowa fired the smoke and flames obscured the entire firing side of the battleship

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Yeah, and, like tracers, smoke works both ways.

It wasn't unusual for a ship to stop firing its guns, because all the smoke it generated obscured its own range finders.

Beta Testers
309 posts
14,124 battles

Heres some more along that line...kinda sorta.

Did you guys see the smokescreen at the 7min mark?! Perhaps something similar could be done with some airplanes, like maybe give the Tone that ability, it would be better than just spamming fighters... Just a thought.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

This would be really nice for those with decent computers. I always thought the current graphics were slightly lacking, but now that i've seen this, it makes the tiny puffs of orange seem a bit pathetic. 

Beta Testers
309 posts
14,124 battles

As for airplane-laid smoke screen - there was such a thing, but I haven't heard that it was used in battles.

Though I agree with you, let's be honest, a lot of things that are in game right now were never a thing IRL. Ships firing from behind islands, radar that goes through islands, you get the idea. I know this game isn't a simulator, nor do I want it to be, but the current gameplay and meta has become sort of stale in my opinion. Giving some ships some new abilities and introducing new game mechanics would spice things up. Again just a thought.
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
898 posts
14,840 battles

I think BB in wows can have smoke screen too but with limitednumber and limited time /1 normal/ 2 with premium  and maybe for 30-60s - with slot where is spoting plane just have one chance in game fix mistake if they run into bad position.

[RST]
Members
836 posts
22,784 battles

One of the most appealing things for me in this game are the graphics - the ships look great, the water effects and the rendering of objects are excellent.  But even so, I want it all to be more spectacular!

I want detonations to be so explosive and catastrophic they can be seen all over the map.  I want sinking ships to be surrounded by burning oil fires and debris (and become almost permanent smokescreens for game purposes).  I want huge explosions and fires.  Towering splashes of water.  Rough seas and much more dramatic cyclones.  Fire and fury all around!

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this