You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SuperNikoPower

PT 0.5.12 - Battle Inactivity

41 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
8,399 battles

Just something to think about ... either to be nice to have a tag over "afk ship" if a persons account was logged or crashed while loading in, give them "safe time or just dump them out without cost" since there are times that some players load in times are close to 1.5 to 3mins or longer on a critical crash before actually loading in for the game only for them to find out that they have sunk.  Just saying as a new player to WoW (2+weeks) but not to other games.  I would think this would allow a team to be informed on what is going on with the fleet at hand and being able to adjust to the given situation.  if after say a given amount of time the individual goes from "afk" to live let there be set negative consequences.  I am Not saying that I have not seen given individuals steer their ship in game to a corner wall during the start of the game to sit afk ... though time and time again I have seen others or myself crashing out and unable to get logged back in before they are not sunk.

[BANGO]
Members
809 posts
26,528 battles

Sooo HOW do we test this? I've tried waiting up to 2 minutes and haven't seen anything happen.

NVM ... READ the patch notes.  got to test it with something w/o secondary guns (or CV)

Edited by Jenska

[CAP]
Members
139 posts
9,511 battles

Not sure I've seen this working ... I've been in a few matches where players were afk (testing, I'm sure), and they were killed by the other team eventually. In one game, a BB just set auto-pilot to the corner of the map at the start and was still there when the round ended on points.

[KOOKS]
Members
87 posts
9,617 battles

Battle Inactivity

In previous versions of the game, players who left battle before their ships were destroyed received a penalty of no reward after the battle ended. This same penalty will now apply to players who stay inactive after joining and starting a battle.

The following factors constitute inactive (passive) behavior:

• The ship never moved and did not cause any damage

• The player did not cause any damage and never launched any air squadrons (for aircraft carriers)

I have a general question about how this works... Is this something that is calculated at the end of the game, or is there a time limit for inactivity?  So for example:  if you get disconnected, but you get back in five minutes into the battle (and haven't already been killed) will you get a penalty, or would you have to be afk the whole battle?

Members
4 posts
1,239 battles

Generally like the idea....  It's definitely frustrating to have a player hang back and wait for "smokers."  I guess I'll go find a corner with a BB and see if I end up with zero points/credits.

Members
4 posts
1,239 battles

Generally like the idea....  It's definitely frustrating to have a player hang back and wait for "smokers."  I guess I'll go find a corner with a BB and see if I end up with zero points/credits.

Well, I took out a MOGMI and just cruised around for the entire game.  The only action was evading torpedoes dropped by an enemy plane.  My AA shot at the plane but no kills or hits.  I still ended up with points/credits.

Members
8 posts
4,525 battles

I think it's a good thing as it is written.  It's a game so precise rules that are fair in every extraordinary situation do not need to be taken into account.

If you got disconnected, you didn't contribute and thus you don't get any credit.  If you sat and watched, or started a game and had to take a dump, and did nothing, then you didn't contribute and should get no credit.

If your ship get destroyed due to disconnect, sure you take a hit and maybe that isn't fair, but get over it.  How many destroyed ships have you gotten credit for with the last shot?

It evens out.

Members
909 posts

Sooo HOW do we test this? I've tried waiting up to 2 minutes and haven't seen anything happen.

NVM ... READ the patch notes.  got to test it with something w/o secondary guns (or CV)

I turned my secondaries off.

Members
909 posts

Well, I took out a MOGMI and just cruised around for the entire game.  The only action was evading torpedoes dropped by an enemy plane.  My AA shot at the plane but no kills or hits.  I still ended up with points/credits.

• The player did not cause any damage and never launched any air squadrons (for aircraft carriers)

:facepalm:

Edited by Moonrider

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

:facepalm:

Which makes it a pointless change....

[FEM]
Beta Testers
3,276 posts
740 battles

Battle Inactivity

In previous versions of the game, players who left battle before their ships were destroyed received a penalty of no reward after the battle ended. This same penalty will now apply to players who stay inactive after joining and starting a battle.

I have a general question about how this works... Is this something that is calculated at the end of the game, or is there a time limit for inactivity?  So for example:  if you get disconnected, but you get back in five minutes into the battle (and haven't already been killed) will you get a penalty, or would you have to be afk the whole battle?

This is calculated at the end of the battle. If you loaded back in and actively took part in battle, you would be fine and wouldn't incur the penalty.

Banned
669 posts

Instead of an auto punishment ..... maybe a team vote at the end of the battle.... those  of the team are asked if a member was afk by auto guide to either endorse the penalty or waive it.....  Majority Rules.... after all the team is the ones affected by the AFK

Edited by _Lord_Scott_

[SYN]
Members
5,956 posts
13,861 battles

In efforts to cut down on the AFK issues, how do you feel about the new passive player change?

Big fan of it, yes.  Anything to discourage and punish deliberate AFK'ers.

...but if a battleship player goes afk but his ship's secondaries cause damage when an opposing ship gets close enough, does this exclude that player from punitive measures?

Members
3,594 posts
7,435 battles

What is the percentage of AFK players in relationship to the total number of games played per day?  How are they counting it? Per server? Per Geographic local ?? 

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles

Instead of an auto punishment ..... maybe a team vote at the end of the battle.... those  of the team are asked if a member was afk by auto guide to either endorse the penalty or waive it.....  Majority Rules.... after all the team is the ones affected by the AFK

Voting for something like that is a very bad idea, and could be easily abused...

• Cool 2

Banned
669 posts

Voting for something like that is a very bad idea, and could be easily abused...

bad in what way? you vote yes or no for something that they are maybe going to implement automatically .... I have been in games with friends on curse while they have a game crash they have every intention of rebooting the game and don't make it back before they get sunk  this is no fault of their own a forgiveness clause is  helpful to those that are in game with such folks
Edited by _Lord_Scott_

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5 posts
8,803 battles

Can the game identify if a player is disconnected??  If yes have the game bounce him out and pull in another active player from Queue.  Either the regular queue or have a separate queue for players who don't want to wait to join a battle.  I think it would be cool to come into a battle already in progress on occasion.

[D-D-D]
Members
18 posts
18,673 battles

A welcome change, Niko! I would also add a time penalty ban, to stop those botting. While at it, I would also make it so team damage is also automatically reflected directly back to a player immediately during the actual battle itself, instead of waiting for them to turn pink from a previous game. That way, players will be more careful of their shots in future games. It should also put and end to deliberate TKer's! Only then, place the pink status on them so that they have to be on their best behaviour for the next 5 games! Just a suggestion...

fun_bar_AlphaTester.gif

Edited by TzarKizitski

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

IF a ship does not move from the beginning of the match all the way through until the match is over - and I mean it doesn't move a millimeter - they need to be marked AFK. What's worse is if someone is deliberately starting a match, moving ten meters then exiting they have bypassed the test. 

I'd like to see an AFK count per hour per day attached to each player. If they continually AFK, match after match, then start levying penalties against them. If they have one in an hour, give a pass.