You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Lillehuntrix

Gonna wash that Shchors right out of my hair

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

The long and short of this post is that I am just going to have to get back on the horse that flung me.  I'm five matches in with the Shchors, and my, did I have a bad afternoon with her yesterday.

Match #1: T7, Two Brothers, domination.  Our DDs all go to the west cap (PSA: some spotting for each task force is often good); I go east along with some other CAs and BBs.  Predictably, we lose our cap to the enemy, who does send some DDs to east cap.  Unfortunately we also lose the west cap, and our DDs get waxed in the process.  So we need to make something happen, and our BBs on my side are predictably shying away from pressing the cap.  Our Kirov, bless his heart, sizes up the carry pants and goes into the east cap, with me following.  The Kirov gets deleted, so now I'm there alone.  I spot a Koenig emerging from behind an island about 10 km to my left, and turn bow on, with the best idea I could come up with plan of weathering one salvo and then trying to turn to escape.  The Koenig detonates me through the bow, from 100% full health - I think I saw the crew still polishing brass on my ship as it exploded.  Net achievement, about 12ish k damage.  Having too much "fun," and "engaging" in cursing at my screen, back to port for another try.

Match #2: Anti-detonation flag mounted!  Otherwise it is Groundhog Day.  Two Brothers, Domination, T8.  This time I follow two of our three DDs to east cap.  They get deleted and we lose the cap, and our third DD (off somewhere) also goes down.  The BBs on my side go off behind an island 15 km from the cap circle and hide; I'm WASDing, successfully for a time, in the mid distance.  At one point, I spot the enemy Bly in the cap circle, and down as we are 3:0 in DDs, I figure it is worthwhile trying to kill him.  And kill him I do, with a nice shot just as he smokes.  Unfortunately, that exposes me to the enemy Amagi from which our T8 and T7 BBs are presently hiding.  The Amagi shoots from about 12 km.  I'm giving him about a 15 degree angle off full stern when his shells hit - not horribad angling, from what I understand.  Doesn't matter - no detonation this time, but I go from about 25K to zero through multiple stern citadels, maybe a turret cit, who knows.  (You can imagine my sympathy for BB players complaining about bow armor nerfs.)  Net result: about 15K damage inflicted, one kill, middle of the pack in our horrific team loss.

Match #3:  I shall stay with the team!  Doesn't matter.  Our team meets their team, I get focused.  Nothing dramatic this time, but I get taken out by a whole pile of enemy ships firing at me, having inflicted a princely 3k and change damage.

OK, ship cursed for the day, time to try something else.  I jump into Kiev and finally win an Epicenter game, beating up three enemy DDs in the process and killing two.  Then I decide my Shchors captain could use a night on the town, so put him into Murmansk for a T7 match.  Nothing ridiculous, but 60K damage and 3 kills in a win.  The highlight was kiting and burning down a Bayern in open water, who then had the temerity to complain in chat that CAs are too overpowered, there is nothing a poor BB can do to hit a cruiser kiting at range.  Dude, if you had had my day to that point.  Anyway, Shchors successfully washed out of my hair - salty BB tears are the secret formula!

Edited by Lillehuntrix

[KRAK]
Members
1,946 posts
19,352 battles

I have many games in mine, played ranked, got to level 13 or so, today played it in 5-6-7 tier  battle, sunk in under 3 minutes. Have all upgrades and 14 point captain. You want to play aggressively, but you can't. First salvo from T6 BB took out 90% of health, Omaha finished me off. Best use of Shchors is to assist the team already attacking another ship, and use HE. In that mode, with rudder upgrade, you can dance around some and burn the enemy while the two BBs or CA-BB battle is ongoing. She can't take much in direct hits, so that best way is to join an ongoing battle. I really like starting battles though and didn't understand the Russian line for cruisers until I was already committed. I can't take on a Hipper one on one. I wish I had gone down the German line now, watching them control matches. But if Hipper is distracted, I can help sink it. I can take on DDs one on one all day.

Edited by Ericson38

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,138 battles

Shchors is a great cruiser.  Same with Murmansk.  I've yet to lurk into T9/T10 cruisers, but I haven't had much of an issue running them tiers 2 through 8, even in the current BB-heavy meta.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

The long and short of this post is that I am just going to have to get back on the horse that flung me.  I'm five matches in with the Shchors, and my, did I have a bad afternoon with her yesterday.

Match #1: T7, Two Brothers, domination.  Our DDs all go to the west cap (PSA: some spotting for each task force is often good); I go east along with some other CAs and BBs.  Predictably, we lose our cap to the enemy, who does send some DDs to east cap.  Unfortunately we also lose the west cap, and our DDs get waxed in the process.  So we need to make something happen, and our BBs on my side are predictably shying away from pressing the cap.  Our Kirov, bless his heart, sizes up the carry pants and goes into the east cap, with me following.  The Kirov gets deleted, so now I'm there alone.  I spot a Koenig emerging from behind an island about 10 km to my left, and turn bow on, with the best idea I could come up with plan of weathering one salvo and then trying to turn to escape.  The Koenig detonates me through the bow, from 100% full health - I think I saw the crew still polishing brass on my ship as it exploded.  Net achievement, about 12ish k damage.  Having too much "fun," and "engaging" in cursing at my screen, back to port for another try.

Match #2: Anti-detonation flag mounted!  Otherwise it is Groundhog Day.  Two Brothers, Domination, T8.  This time I follow two of our three DDs to east cap.  They get deleted and we lose the cap, and our third DD (off somewhere) also goes down.  The BBs on my side go off behind an island 15 km from the cap circle and hide; I'm WASDing, successfully for a time, in the mid distance.  At one point, I spot the enemy Bly in the cap circle, and down as we are 3:0 in DDs, I figure it is worthwhile trying to kill him.  And kill him I do, with a nice shot just as he smokes.  Unfortunately, that exposes me to the enemy Amagi from which our T8 and T7 BBs are presently hiding.  The Amagi shoots from about 12 km.  I'm giving him about a 15 degree angle off full stern when his shells hit - not horribad angling, from what I understand.  Doesn't matter - no detonation this time, but I go from about 25K to zero through multiple stern citadels, maybe a turret cit, who knows.  (You can imagine my sympathy for BB players complaining about bow armor nerfs.)  Net result: about 15K damage inflicted, one kill, middle of the pack in our horrific team loss.

Match #3:  I shall stay with the team!  Doesn't matter.  Our team meets their team, I get focused.  Nothing dramatic this time, but I get taken out by a whole pile of enemy ships firing at me, having inflicted a princely 3k and change damage.

OK, ship cursed for the day, time to try something else.  I jump into Kiev and finally win an Epicenter game, beating up three enemy DDs in the process and killing two.  Then I decide my Shchors captain could use a night on the town, so put him into Murmansk for a T7 match.  Nothing ridiculous, but 60K damage and 3 kills in a win.  The highlight was kiting and burning down a Bayern in open water, who then had the temerity to complain in chat that CAs are too overpowered, there is nothing a poor BB can do to hit a cruiser kiting at range.  Dude, if you had had my day to that point.  Anyway, Shchors successfully washed out of my hair - salty BB tears are the secret formula!

In your first 2 match descriptions with more details, the recurring problem you have is that you were fighting at short ranges with Schors.  That is absolutely the worst place to put her in.

Fight at ranged.  As long as possible.  Her guns are ideal for it.  Short ranged fighting?  You put her awful armor scheme and mediocre turn capability into larger play and they will fail you at those ranges.

Schors is a pure ranged fighter.  Keep at long range.  Use her speed to maintain or keep good distance from her targets.  Keep firing those guns.  Turn every now and then, use your WASD Hax to throw off long ranged BB aim.

IMO, Schors is the polar opposite of Atlanta.  Atlanta needs to get into short ranges where her full potential in ship-to-ship fighting comes into play.  Schors is the same but different.  Keep her at range and she'll survive longer, so you end up shooting more.

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

Haze, thank you for the reply and the advice. I agree completely with your analysis of my error in the first two matches. Unfortunately, adverse tactical choices were somewhat being dictated by the strategic situation of both. Both times we were down three caps to one, with our destroyers dead and theirs not, and the battleships on my side of the map (sigh) not in any hurry to do something about it. I.e., we were probably going to lose anyway; I just wish I had not gone up in so spectacular an explosion each time. Forgot to mention, my team did win match 3 after I ragequit. Go team!

I get the impression that, whatever the virtues of the Shchors, its flexibility is limited. Looking forward to the hull and range upgrades so I can better play it in the right style.

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles

The thing is an absolute flame thrower at 16km. If you can get Demo Expert on it just light everything on fire.

"fire for you"...next..."fires for you"...next..."and some fire for you"...next. Then again...fires is are going to be your best way of dealing damage. So it's a good thing it's good at starting fires.

Members
492 posts

The BBs on my side go off behind an island 15 km from the cap circle and hide;

I always assume that this is whats going to happen. wth is the thought process behind this. Anyone who does this, what are you thinking? What are you hoping to accomplish?
Edited by Noone_You_Know

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

I always assume that this is whats going to happen. wth is the thought process behind this. Anyone who does this, what are you thinking? What are you hoping to accomplish?

I highly suggest playing a Battleship yourself and go try to lead the attack.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

I enjoyed Shchors.

The reason I didn't keep it is because Chapayev is the same ship but with radar at a more relevant tier.

I skipped Chapayev since I already owned M.Kutuzov.  I kept Schors, even got Premium Camo for her as I grinded with her.  The difference is that as a Tier VII ship, Schors can beat up on hapless Tier V & VI ships all the time now the way MM is setup.  Chapayev, as a Tier VIII, is regularly facing those Tier IX & X ships.  Schors faces IX at the very worst, but she more often beats up on the likes of New York (LOL, they're helpless), Omaha, K/N-Bergs, etc.

Chapayev, by looking at port stats alone, is superior than Schors.  But Schors doesn't live in the high tier B.S. matches that Chapyev has to deal with.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
3 posts
11,008 battles

I dont have the schors yet, have the buddy and enjoying it. Looking at the stats though, is the schors an improvement in any way at all? Armour is worse, guns are identical with one more turret, range is identical, speed and rudder shift basically the same. AA is ever so slightly better in the schors.

It looks like you get one extra turret in exchange for going up a tier, and losing 40mm of armor.

Am i missing something?

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

I dont have the schors yet, have the buddy and enjoying it. Looking at the stats though, is the schors an improvement in any way at all? Armour is worse, guns are identical with one more turret, range is identical, speed and rudder shift basically the same. AA is ever so slightly better in the schors.

It looks like you get one extra turret in exchange for going up a tier, and losing 40mm of armor.

Am i missing something?

Schors?

Abysmal armor.  Mediocre turn rate.  AA is still meh, but at least she can pack Defensive Fire.  Her concealment range blossoms across the globe when she fires her mains.  She still has 4km torps.

But Schors is, IMO, amazing.  Amazing for one simple reason:

12 of Budyonny's rifles instead of 9 and possesses improved range.  Give Schors DE, she will make Battleships cry as she pelts them from long range and set them afire.  Her AP is strong enough to use at the proper opportunities.  If Schors is in full kite mode and forced to use only rear turrets, she has 6 guns to fire instead of Budyonny's 3.  If you got the distance to play, she can angle and kite with her full 12 rifles.

Schors is one of those example ships that totally and absolutely lives and dies by the merit of her guns.  She handles mediocre, but she is fast enough to kite ships and keep them at arm's length.  To be sure, brawling, knife fighting is a quick way to end your Schors.  But when she's in her element of fighting at range, she's extremely good at that capacity.  She is the opposite of Atlanta which excels only in knife fighting ranges.

[RCNW3]
Members
2,002 posts
26,525 battles

New on this ship and really struggling.  Range is good, but out ranged by any Scharn or Dunk out there.  Playing a ship with the hope that no one shoots at me. Had game last night stayed back with the pack, but both a Dunk and Scharn decided I was their target and really nothing you can do other than trying to get a couple of licks in before you are deleted.  Glad someone can find some success with this ship, but not enjoying it at this point

Members
2,518 posts

I skipped Chapayev since I already owned M.Kutuzov.  I kept Schors, even got Premium Camo for her as I grinded with her.  The difference is that as a Tier VII ship, Schors can beat up on hapless Tier V & VI ships all the time now the way MM is setup.  Chapayev, as a Tier VIII, is regularly facing those Tier IX & X ships.  Schors faces IX at the very worst, but she more often beats up on the likes of New York (LOL, they're helpless), Omaha, K/N-Bergs, etc.

Chapayev, by looking at port stats alone, is superior than Schors.  But Schors doesn't live in the high tier B.S. matches that Chapyev has to deal with.

For me 'relevant' because I highly doubt t7 will ever be used for ranked again, while Chap is a staple with it's radar.

Members
172 posts
2,946 battles

Just got my Chappy, but my Shchors I started out absolutely hating. It was insanely horrible, worst experience. Stock it is abysmal. But once I had her fully upgraded...it was regularly 100k damage matches and over 2k base XP ( I had 2.4k three matches in a row). She's a ranged fighter, as people say. Get turret traverse skill, upgraded the rudder and get DE. Proceed to burn the hell out of battleships and frighten DDs witless. Hide behind applicable cover when possible and spam just like a superior Cleveland.

73 battles, 38 wins and 35 defeats
57k average damage and climbing (I had a huge deficit from start, that average was still rising)
My Chappy has 4 battles, 50% WR, and 67k average damage. Shchors and Chap can bounce shells, you just need about 10km from cruisers, 13km from 356mm BB, and 15 from anything stronger. Going bow on with AP, you can rush things like Yorck, Pensa, and Myoko plus lower and simply citadel the hell out of them, for little damage in return.

​If you just despise BBs and want to watch the world burn, and also punish the camping BBs sitting in one spot, you'll LOVE Chapayev. Put on the Concealment mod, and without the range upgrade, using spotter plane, you can invisifire with 2km to spare about. Get the commander concealment and range upgrade, invisfire with ease. Plus Radar? DD nightmare too.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

A testament to Schors' prowess, is that she is one of the few Cruisers in this game that can sit out at range against multiple Battleships and engage them all using no cover, no concealment, no invisifire mechanics.  She can stay out at range, evade long ranged shots, and reliably, consistently punish those BBs in turn, setting them ablaze and bit by bit, make them change their minds and rethink their strategy.

All while having a very rusty rudder control and some worthless armor.

This old screen from a different thread I posted about Schors summarizes how she does her work.

jcGTuq2.jpg

She doesn't kill you with overwhelming alpha strike damage.  Schors kills you with very steady, consistent damage.  All she needs is the player making the hits.

[ABDA]
Members
258 posts
3,843 battles

I love the Schors. Look at my stats in it. I'm a decent player, nothing special, but I do well in that ship. You have great speed and incredibly accurate fast firing guns. Get DE and set things on fire. Do no fight up close if you can help it because the ship can't handle the beating. You have a ship that can reliably snipe or do mid range and has the tools to move around to avoid some of the incoming fire. If you get too close you can't dodge and that's when you will die.

Members
172 posts
2,946 battles

I love the Schors. Look at my stats in it. I'm a decent player, nothing special, but I do well in that ship. You have great speed and incredibly accurate fast firing guns. Get DE and set things on fire. Do no fight up close if you can help it because the ship can't handle the beating. You have a ship that can reliably snipe or do mid range and has the tools to move around to avoid some of the incoming fire. If you get too close you can't dodge and that's when you will die.

​Yep, and it's good to remember it's no Cleveland. Despite looking the same, play completely different. Cleveland is a wall hugging fire raining heavily armored (for a CL) Rambo cruiser. Shchors and Chap are open water spammers best at deterring battleships, supporting battleships, and occasional anti-DD. I really enjoy both styles, though Cleve is a bit easier and more fun imo.
  • Cool 1

[KILL]
Members
1,444 posts
15,273 battles

The Schors is just like the Budyonne, fire HE at long range at them BB's, take out a dd if he gets to close but don't put yourself in a spot that makes you a juicy target.  You need the range mods.   Your shells have the velocity to land with regular consistently at a range they really can't hit you at if your bobbing and weaving.  Get Demo expert and watch the fire damage rack up,  Once the bb's have run away or better yet, sunk, then move in find a dd to delete or a cruiser broadside.   I didn't care for HE going up the German cruiser line and even really the Japenese (until Zao) but HE is where it's at with these 6 inch guns.

Now I read the guy before this comment and I feel like I just moved some words around

Edited by WES_HoundDog