Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SandraSmiles

Carrier Play: What I Need for The Team

12 comments in this topic

Members
3,014 posts

Yes,Yes...Angels and Ministers of Mercy Defend Us All-

I'm teaching myself the ins and outs of carrier tactics.

I'm using the training room for the moment so I don't subject the coop players to a suffering carrier contribution.

Problems I'm trying to overcome at the moment are:

key command for manual dropping of torpedos-

key command for manual dropping of bombs-

determining if its better to run a Air Superiority w/TB or TB/BP

I'm guessing w/the Langley, I have 3 different squadrons, and I have no choice on adjusting this.

Reviewed this thread earlier-

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/95088-i-tried-a-cv-today/page__p__2329130__hl__+how%20+to%20+langley#entry2329130

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/90947-good-cv-play/

Since I'm starting at the Langley and I did't bother moving a captain over- I just picked up a 3 point captain for the moment....  But I do have some 10,12 point captains left over from other lower tiered USN...that I could move over once I have a better grasp on CV mechanics.

I don't want to make the mistake of picking up a Saipan and subjecting my team to my lack of knowledge.

Hoping your suggestions and tips will give me the edge I need to support the team(s).

I'm not looking for a means to make credits.  I'm looking for a means to bring a worthy carrier into the arena.  I believe I know enough about cruisers and battleships to know who to target first and esp who to avoid...albeit, its been a long time since I've played anything below T7.

Many Thanks!

PostScript: just watched this video earlier and it seemed disappointing. 

Edited by OnTheHouse
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Me too! Still messing in coop.

Manual torpedo/bomber drop is from holding down the ALT button. Run your planes parallel to the target for a torpedo and straight on for a bomber run. I try and put the drop just before the nose of the ship, depending on how fast it's running.

The Hosho is actually a better ship for damage but sacrifices some air superiority (unless you have a 15pt captain). It's also harder to get multiple torps on target as they aren't straight on but converging to a point. They also need more distance to arm and I find myself sometimes a little too close. What it misses in reduced hits, it makes up for in more torpedo squads.

In coop, run your planes right at the enemy carrier, use your fighters to kill/engage his, then hit him with one set of something (to fire/flood). Then wait 20 seconds and bring your second set in to fire/flood. This should kill the enemy CV and leave you free to kill with the other planes. With total air superiority, use your fighters to scout and/or kill off the last CV squads which are airborne.

Now you're free to concentrate on hitting other ships. I suggest practicing on CLs and DDs as low level BBs are very easy to hit. With the Hosho, you can practice cross drops.

3 kills is the best I've done.

Edited by CapnCappy
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

The Langley is a very good CV with its' 3 squadrons, 1 of each type.

For each squadron you need to learn a skill:

Fighters - Strafing. This is especially true against torpedo and dive bombers which most players let auto-return to base. A normal attack can lead to a loss of fighters by subjecting them to tail gunner fire.

Dive Bombers - Manual dive bombing. This is important against all ship types. When manually attacking you don't have to get your attack perfectly linear to the ship, as long as the attack area covers mostly the ship.

Torpedo Bombers - Manual dropping. Getting the most out of your drops is important. There is a big difference in hitting with 2 instead of 4. This changes again when you use the speed upgrade for torpedoes on your captain.

Practice in PvE - Learn to dominate here with your CV vs any load out. Once you're practiced move to PvP. I use it to warm up as well. Be warned if the AI sees you it will target you over any other ship.

Know friendly and enemy AA - What is safe to attack and what isn't is very important. Also engaging enenmy fighters over a friendly ship with good AA will win matchups.

Tying up enemy fighters to get bombers through - Your fighters aren't there to shoot other planes down most of the battle. They're there to prevent enemy fighters frok attacking your bombers. If the bombers have to get through send the fighters in against theres, once they're tied up rush your bombers past for a strike.

Don't group bombers near fighters - Your asking for a single strafe to kill multiple squads.

Attack ships that have used repair, or bait them into using it, then attack with your other bombers - Burning of flooding causes huge damage over time. If a ships repair is down there is nothing she can do to stop the DoT.

[_REKT]
Members
490 posts
4,096 battles

This is an excellent basic tutorial for carrier play, even if it is a little old:

And for fighter play:

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,045 posts

I'm doing my CV line in IJN with no manual torpedo dropping.  Let you know how it goes.   Ok, I did one run with it because a dd was going in between islands.

Saipan best load I use is the AS with the divebombers.   FYI  manual drop for those is the same as the auto drop.  I don't manual drop and I do fine hitting ships.  Wrecking DDs are so much fun with that CV.

Edited by Nachoo31

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

Try dive bombers on big ships with a big surface area, and torpedo bombers on long ships. If that $&%# DD gets close, use DBs.

Scout sketchy areas with a fighter, and try to strafe before you engage other fighters. (Make sure you don't finish the strafe over a Cleveland or something though)

DO NOT STRAFE YOUR OWN PLANES

Beta Testers
361 posts
4,437 battles

Don't grind the USN CV line. They all suck except for the Langley.

yeah don't waste your time with USN right now 

the low tier IJN's may suck but once you get up there they start

to get better loadouts and more squads.

Beta Testers
361 posts
4,437 battles

I'm doing my CV line in IJN with no manual torpedo dropping.  Let you know how it goes.   Ok, I did one run with it because a dd was going in between islands.

Saipan best load I use is the AS with the divebombers.   FYI  manual drop for those is the same as the auto drop.  I don't manual drop and I do fine hitting ships.  Wrecking DDs are so much fun with that CV.

its slightly more difficult to manual drop with the saipans dive bombers (just the dive bombers) because it takes a few seconds longer to actually drop the bombs

im assuming cause the squad is the biggest in the game?

torpedo's are the same its just a weird spread cause only 3 torpedo planes in a squad but still easy to drop you should hit 2/3 most times.

Members
33 posts
1,020 battles

Try dive bombers on big ships with a big surface area, and torpedo bombers on long ships. If that $&%# DD gets close, use DBs.

Scout sketchy areas with a fighter, and try to strafe before you engage other fighters. (Make sure you don't finish the strafe over a Cleveland or something though)

DO NOT STRAFE YOUR OWN PLANES

If necessary, if my ally has one fighter trapped for certain destruction against a larger fighter (like two groups - even better!) then I strafe and get meself 12 planes.

Sign in to follow this