Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Ice

One thing is very likely if this BB armor nerf goes through...

30 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2,319 posts
9,297 battles

If WG actually keeps their word *which doesn't mean crap anymore* and the Tirpitz gets a premium ship immunity pass on the bow armor nerf,  the sales of her will go through the freaking roof. 

However,  if a $50 ship also gets hit with this helluva lame nerf,  fewer people are ever going to trust WG again and never buy premium ships. 

Maybe WG needs a lighter wallet anyway until they wake up... 

• Cool 5

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I agree that the Tirpitz situation does create a problem for WG and the players that own it. They'll need to proceed very carefully with this change. 

• Cool 2

[-NACL]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,697 posts
28,359 battles

It's not gonna be an OMG lol/nerf. It's just going to allow smaller ships more ease of getting normal penetrations. Will it be frustrating when 16.5" shells and larger (Yam/German) hit you? Yes. But, it already is.

This change comes from a lack of understanding that 90% of sub 13 inch shells will bounce or non-pen any battleship. Cruisers/DDs need to learn to spam HE at BB.

Beta Testers
2,319 posts
9,297 battles

. Cruisers/DDs need to learn to spam HE at BB.

Uh....  They already do,  unless you've been playing against morons 
  • Cool 1

[PSV]
Members
536 posts
22,368 battles

The Tirpitz burns like few other ships so it wouldn't be a massive issue. Strong bow or weak bow, fire is always going to be its biggest problem.

Beta Testers
2,319 posts
9,297 battles

The Tirpitz burns like few other ships so it wouldn't be a massive issue. Strong bow or weak bow, fire is always going to be its biggest problem.

All BBs burn by design so your point is mute 

[ANKER]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,115 posts
7,282 battles

With exception. I will fire mostly AP from my German CAs (T8+) anyday. Especially Hindenburg. Nothing like whalloping stupid BB players who think they can go broadside just coz I'm a cruiser :D

[SPTR]
Members
4,023 posts
1,090 battles

Well it wouldn't be the first time they weakened the Tirpitz. Cause when it first came out, i'm pretty sure it had 5km secondary range, i could be mis-remembering tho.

[-NACL]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,697 posts
28,359 battles

They already don't know when to fire HE or AP at us. Now they have a higher chance of both types not ricocheting, especially HE.

All BBs burn by design so your point is mute 

It would be "moot.." and no, Tirpitz and Amagi certainly burn much easier than the more-steelish North Carolina. 
  • Cool 1

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

With exception. I will fire mostly AP from my German CAs (T8+) anyday. Especially Hindenburg. Nothing like whalloping stupid BB players who think they can go broadside just coz I'm a cruiser :D

The problem is when they're not broadside. Sure, 4 x 1900 is over 7.5k in AP DMG, with only 4 of your AP rounds needing to pen to do it. God forbid you get blessed with RNG and all 8 of your shots pen! Constant 15k volleys, even. It will melt a BB.

The problem is that most of your shots will not pen like that. And it gets compounded when they start angling. At which point you should start burning them down instead...

Members
267 posts
4,277 battles

They say "standart battleships" in the PT notes, so at least there Tirp will keep her bow armor it seems

But honestly that is a total non issue, since fighting the Tirpitz completely Bow on is not really viable (4 guns don't do nearly enough DPS)

it will keep her ability to charge into a brawl and use her torps intact, which is exactly what makes ppl buy the ship and the reason WG won't nerf it.

the "nerf" is directed at the bow on campers in their Iowas/NC or Izoumo/Yamatos. The german BB will be largely unaffected due to their ridonkulous citadel protection (which they should, considering how easy it is to get regular(33%) pens on em)

but let's be honest, facing a bow on reversing enemy that shruggs of everything you throw at him is not fun gameplay and has made BB invulnerable while they ROFLstomp on CA first, since they can't do anything of the sort, and has encouraged an increase in the DD population, since you can easily burn (RU) or torp (US/IJN) a reversing battleship.

Members
267 posts
4,277 battles

The problem is when they're not broadside. Sure, 4 x 1900 is over 7.5k in AP DMG, with only 4 of your AP rounds needing to pen to do it. God forbid you get blessed with RNG and all 8 of your shots pen! Constant 15k volleys, even. It will melt a BB.

The problem is that most of your shots will not pen like that. And it gets compounded when they start angling. At which point you should start burning them down instead...

The superstructure is a nice target, and most BB will broadside you eventually due to them wanting to delete you in 1 volley as BB have gotten used to doing.

you can put in a HE salvo or 2 here and there to animate them to turn towards you

Beta Testers
2,319 posts
9,297 battles

The superstructure is a nice target, and most BB will broadside you eventually due to them wanting to delete you in 1 volley as BB have gotten used to doing.

If my choice is between taking a volley shot at a BB to put some hurt on vs possibly instantly deleting a c0cky cruiser,  I'll choose the CA every time, because the sight of an instant cruiser death amuses me greatly 

[SPTR]
Members
4,023 posts
1,090 battles

They say "standart battleships" in the PT notes, so at least there Tirp will keep her bow armor it seems

But honestly that is a total non issue, since fighting the Tirpitz completely Bow on is not really viable (4 guns don't do nearly enough DPS)

it will keep her ability to charge into a brawl and use her torps intact, which is exactly what makes ppl buy the ship and the reason WG won't nerf it.

the "nerf" is directed at the bow on campers in their Iowas/NC or Izoumo/Yamatos. The german BB will be largely unaffected due to their ridonkulous citadel protection (which they should, considering how easy it is to get regular(33%) pens on em)

but let's be honest, facing a bow on reversing enemy that shruggs of everything you throw at him is not fun gameplay and has made BB invulnerable while they ROFLstomp on CA first, since they can't do anything of the sort, and has encouraged an increase in the DD population, since you can easily burn (RU) or torp (US/IJN) a reversing battleship.

At long enough ranges, it's not even the bow/side armor that is being hit, it's the deck armor.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

At long enough ranges, it's not even the bow/side armor that is being hit, it's the deck armor.

Exactly. That's why this change won't do anything to prevent camping. 

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

Plunging fire is the best.

Members
267 posts
4,277 battles

If my choice is between taking a volley shot at a BB to put some hurt on vs possibly instantly deleting a c0cky cruiser,  I'll choose the CA every time, because the sight of an instant cruiser death amuses me greatly 

As is mine when I am in a BB, but this has lead to CA being nearly extinct at high tiers.

Members
938 posts
16,048 battles

I dont see problem with high tier cruiser ships burn the Yamato or other BB to the hell.  Hindi, Moskva and Desmoins known as burning ships, hell most of these ships get Arsonist or witherer achievement often in battles.With this nerf, Burn from cruiser and penetration to these BB will become more often..eventually more thread like these keep coming, Hell, just look the feedback even before WG implemented into game. i dont think nerf the BB is a good idea. BB using his bow is tactic actually to prevent from getting citadel. Change to HE ammo, These bow BB burn like hell. So what is the problem ? Repair and service cost actually is the main issues. 

Edited by bandits86

Members
449 posts

I hope they know what they are doing! And for all the HE/AP arguments, yesterday I got a citadel on a cruiser with HE fired from my BB. And I've penned a BB with a cruiser before using AP, though I've never gotten significant damage like a "confirmed penetration!" or citadel hit, but you can rough em up a bit and in some instances fool them into thinking another BB is firing on them if they are taking AP pens, despite it being little damage. I know I've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of my BB AP rounds hit square on the enemy but only show a 200-500 damage while other times the same hit might make 2000+, go figure.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Wait so Tirpitz might keep her bow armor? That's the first I've heard of that, but if it's true then good. They want us to brawl more, so why remove the shield from one of the few BBs that can be counted on to get in and brawl already? 

Beta Testers
251 posts
6,367 battles

Well if for the nerf we only consider the Bismark and the Tirpitz in a vaccum:

Bismark is over performing the Tirpitz ( the "upgraded" Bismark cause reasons) in everything apart from torpedoes. It has more AA, better gun dispersion, is faster, got hydro and a murdering set of secondaries ( try to duel a Bismark in a Tirp; IMPOSSIBRE!).

With that nerf and the Tirpitz dodging the bullet because of its premium status, it would actually give a slight nudge toward balancing both ships while the Tirpitz having a tad more armor in the Front compared to its older and ever bullying Bismark brother.

This is off subject but i still waiting for the Tirpirtz normalization 5k secondaries buff :great:.

[SFT]
Members
317 posts
7,399 battles

As is mine when I am in a BB, but this has lead to CA being nearly extinct at high tiers.

I rarely if ever even bother with my Des Moines, it is not worth the hassle, and it has also stopped me from buying the Chapayev and the Hipper. Im instead grinding the Gneisenau and Amagi right now.

Beta Testers
2,319 posts
9,297 battles

Bismark is over performing the Tirpitz ( the "upgraded" Bismark cause reasons) in everything apart from torpedoes. It has more AA, better gun dispersion, is faster, got hydro and a murdering set of secondaries ( try to duel a Bismark in a Tirp; IMPOSSIBRE!).

Bismark is already getting the nerf hammer, what the hell else do you want? Up until this nerf patch, the Tirp could charge into a Bismark until it gets in range of torps

[SPTR]
Members
4,023 posts
1,090 battles

( try to duel a Bismark in a Tirp; IMPOSSIBRE!)

I've done that before, and won (twice)

Beta Testers
251 posts
6,367 battles

Bismark is already getting the nerf hammer, what the hell else do you want? Up until this nerf patch, the Tirp could charge into a Bismark until it gets in range of torps

I never asked for the Bismark to get nerfed, actually i wanted the Tirp to get some love in fact ( 5k secondaries and maybe a slight speed buff).

However to answer your comment, playing the Tirpirtz and facing a few Bismarks there is no ways to catch them for a Torpedo run, Bismark is faster and will set you on fire constantly with the secondaries.

Tirpirtz should be faster to allow good use of those torpdoes, its a tad silly to have a great burst weapon but cant use it because everything is faster than you, yes i am exaggerating a bit here but you get my point.

Sign in to follow this