You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mustangman6579

Dunkerque: Scumbag DE or normal AFT for 4th skill?

63 comments in this topic

[BTD]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,851 battles

As title says. What's the best way to go in this?

Is the 3% extra chance on a slow firing BB worth it?

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Who, other than HE spamming noobs, takes DE on a battleship anyways? 

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Why would you take DE on a ship with guns larger than 8in? Your job is to kill cruisers with citadels. Not burn them. Cruisers will burn you. And they will do it much better than what you attempt to do to them.

Members
2,377 posts
16,938 battles

AFT is more universally useful, due to the AA and secondary buffs it gives.  BBs have high enough fire chance anyway, that DE won't significantly affect your fire starting abilities.

[RNF]
Members
109 posts
12,866 battles

Dunkerque already have extremely good fire chance... I don't think its worth to invest 4th skill into another 3% fire chance.

Unless you want to troll :trollface:

Edited by OVERDRIVEZhi

[BTD]
1,253 posts
5,851 battles

Who, other than HE spamming noobs, takes DE on a battleship anyways? 

Why would you take DE on a ship with guns larger than 8in? Your job is to kill cruisers with citadels. Not burn them. Cruisers will burn you. And they will do it much better than what you attempt to do to them.

With this ship you are firing HE 75% of the time, unless top tier. 

12,413 posts

It's just as capable of spamming AP as any other battleship. Your primary targets are cruisers. Cruisers don't like BB caliber AP. Give it to them anyway.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Honestly, that's like saying i should only shoot HE in cruisers. Even cruisers, with their 6-8 inch shells, can be effective with their AP. And you're telling me that a battleship with 14 inch (?) guns should shoot HE most of the times?

AP will still be effective against cruisers, and against broadside battleships. AP should always be the main shell type for battleships, excluding Scharnhorst. 

Edited by Aduial

12,413 posts

Honestly, that's like saying i should only shoot HE in cruisers. Even cruisers, with their 6-8 inch shells, can be effective with their AP. And you're telling me that a battleship with 14 inch (?) guns should shoot HE most of the times?

AP will still be effective against cruisers, and against broadside battleships. AP should always be the main shell type for battleships, excluding Scharnhorst. 

It has 13in guns but yes all of this except the scharnhorst bit. Scharnhorst laughs as it gets constant 33% damage hits off superstructure.

[BTD]
1,253 posts
5,851 battles

Trust me, Ap most of the time is a waste of time in this ship. 

Plus how are you going to say except the Scharn when I'm fairly sure it has better guns?

12,413 posts

Plus how are you going to say except the Scharn when I'm fairly sure it has better guns?

Scharn has 11in guns while Dunkerque has 13in guns. Scharn has really good penetration, probably better than the dunkerque at close range but it falls off very quickly.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Scharn has smaller guns. 

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

I'm not sure how you would actually benefit from an extra 3% chance of fire other than bringing the 35% chance of fire closer to the 40% mark.  

That said, AFT allows your secondaries and AA to fire farther.  Both good things.

Beta Testers
15,669 posts
4,714 battles

AFT by far. DE gets weaker the bigger the caliber. DDs see the most use out of it- a 5% Fire Chance becomes 8%- a 60% increase. 6" and 8" guns can both benefit- even 15 to 18% is a 20% increase. A single fire after someone repairs... Worth it. BBs though, the low ROF combined with their already large fire chance makes it worth it. It's not even a 10% buff for Dunkerque. Coupled with the fact they don't have Defensjve Fire but DO have more AA guns and secondaries, AFT is by far the best in my opinion.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Both AFT and DE have their place on Dunkerque, so it's a subjective choice in the end.

Dunkerque does have to spam HE in many cases, just like Scharnhorst - in fact, both ships reward intelligent ammo type switching.

As for AFT, her secondaries and AA could use a boost, so it makes some sense too.

[BTD]
1,253 posts
5,851 battles

After reading this, I will go AFT just like I figured I would. I personally didn't think 3% was enough to try. 

[REVY]
Members
9,649 posts
7,316 battles

I say get both.  That's what I plan on doing.  The Dunkerque's primary weapon in sinking armored Battleships is HE, since you can accurately burn them again and again.

Edited by Sventex

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,265 battles

I'll probably end up doing what I did with my Warspite/German BB captain and get Manual AA along with AFT. The Dunkerque at least has quite a lot of guns that benefit from Manual AA.

3% extra fire chance is not going to be particularly useful for a slow firing ship, meanwhile, the ship sits right in the middle of tiers where CV population is most active. Your AA has very good range for its tier with AFT, and while I haven't managed to get both skills yet on my Dunkerque captain, I've made extremely good use out of it on the Warspite, and Scharnhorst is nearly immune to aircraft with those two skills.

Edited by SeraphicRadiance

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I say get both.  That's what I plan on doing.  The Dunkerque's primary weapon in sinking armored Battleships is HE, since you can accurately burn them again and again.

3% isn't even a 10% increase, and it's not worth 4 points. There are ways those 4 points could be spent much more wisely. 

Members
449 posts

I agree with some that the DE is likely squandered in this ship and would rather benefit more from one of the other skills. But I also disagree with some who say it should primarily fire HE. It all depends on the situation and what you're up against, top tier or not. If you manage a salvo where 4 or 5 of your 8 shells hit and no pens, yeah, maybe time to alternate with some HE and start figuring out what that steel wall is that you suddenly came up against. And one thing to keep in mind, size of the gun doesn't necessarily mean it's higher penetrating. Some of the 13 inch guns were pretty deadly as I understand it. But for raw, brute destruction, go for the 16 or 18 inches. Or why not just skip the [edited]and mount a Bertha railcar gun on the front of the ship complete with turntable allowing it to fire in any direction. You'll likely penetrate everything possible, and literally one-shot anything you hit, but you're likely to be dead long before you can even get one hit in.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,653 battles

It has 13in guns but yes all of this except the scharnhorst bit. Scharnhorst laughs as it gets constant 33% damage hits off superstructure.

Yup. Scharnhorst is almost always AP for me. Just change where you aim based on how they are angled. By the time you switch to HE you will want to swap back to AP.

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,360 battles

I run scum bag DE on my French doughnut.

I spend the majority of my time firing HE in it anyway. There is little point to AP rounds when your HE salvo hits for 5-8k and starts 3 fires. 

I keep my Dunq around 12-15km away from most things for the first half of the game. Once the population thins out getting up close with AP rounds becomes rewarding, the thing has nearly useless secondaries as the majority of the fire is in the rear and if you are being chased it's generally out of range anyway. Why would you want to boost "useless" to "mostly useless"  and only when you are running away. It is true that if a DD does come at you from behind you will notice the benefits of AFT, but other than that I'd rather pretty much gaurentee that every salvo is going to start a fire and burn a repair kit on my target.

With a nearly 70%wr and 50k+ avg damage on this ship its not like I am under performing firing primarily HE. The amount of damage output HE does is pretty stellar on battle ships, tap a CA from range with a single shell? Oh that will be 3K sir, smash it with 6+ and you deal as much as a citadel hit and likely started 2 fires. Over matched BBs? Who cares fire HE right into their bow and remove their AA guns, start two fires, deal 5k dmg and then laugh as their AP rounds crash on your deck for 0 dmg. Once you get inside 10km on a target load up those AP rounds and drop 8 shells into their sides.... its a great ship.

Is my DE helping that much? I'd say more than an occasional destroyer snipe or plane kill. AFT may statistically be the better choice but when you factor the in game application, I see the effects of DE every time I land a hit. I see the effects of AFT every time a scout plane from a cruiser I just killed loops by. 

Edited by vind21