You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Citrusss

Potatoes are going to potate!

10 comments in this topic

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

Recently, I've been reading a good number of rant topicts on this forum about po.'ta.to.s in their teams while they are nothing else but the knights in the shiny armor. Therefore, here is the guide what you need to blame. [feel free to provide a link to this thread to anyone who puts up another rant]

mwFkVWv.gif

First of all, you need to understand that there are two reasons you are under/overperforming. 

1. It is RNG. Yes, it's not just you, this game is heavily based on the random number generation. 

MvataW1.jpg

How does it look like? Here are my examples: I charge properly angled on some battleship and get double citadel hit right through the bow. Not impossible, apparently, but supposedly it should be a rare occurrence. For some people, who are good lads and make regular baby sacrifices to RNGesus, it happens in 0.0% of their battles, for others - 1%, and this makes the average about 0.1% or less. And this happen to me more often than I want to admit. Another example - set fires. Mogami has a fire chance of 17% per shell and total of 10 barrels to spit this out, but sometimes it happens that you land 3 or 4 full salvos on your adversary and nothing! Now you should realize that RNGesus hates you! He shows his love when one single shell from a secondary gun of the cruiser cause a detonation to the battleship [yes, that happened too!]. 

However, RNGesus has a big enemy, called Statits Statistics. Now, this lady doesn't like small numbers, to make her work you need lots and lots of instances and that's where she kicks RNGesus' butt. For her, your 10 out of 10 battles mean nothing, as this is not how you perform in general. Let's take the previous example with fires: if you land 100 rounds you won't get 17 fires, but if you land 1000 you will get somewhere close to 170, at 10,000 it will be nearing 1,700 and so on, also she doesn't account only you, she looks after whole server and even more. And since in a long run RNGesus is not affecting your gameplay, here we come to the another reason:

2. Bad decisions

sRynj2C.gif

Here is a scientific fact about your brain - it cannot multitask! All these talks about multitasking is a plain rubbish. Imagine, you talk to your girl/boyfriend [Who am I lying to? People in WoWS don't have a life...] and play the game. Now, your brain processing power will be busy with a conversation instead of making a good plan for the game. Some other things which will influence your performance are: intoxication, hunger/thirst, exhaustion and more. In this case you will just sail where you shall not go and do what you shouldn't have done. 

This is countered easily - you go and take a break. If you are playing ranked and bleeding stars, if you are playing competitively in randoms and keep on losing - take a break. Call it a day or just relax and try to enjoy. If you get pissed and angry - this will contribute to your bad performance even more. 

So here we are - in the end it's all about you, not your team, not RNG, not other vegetables.

P.S. you can see the effect of your decisions on websites which track your statistics, like http://warships.today

Edited by Citrusss

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

If I understand your meaning correctly, you are saying that the randomness with which potatoes are placed on your team is statistically evened out by their being placed on the enemy team as well, so the only factor determining your own performance is your own moment-to-moment decision making. OK, sounds good so far.

But then you're basically saying that because of this, complaining about potatoes is wrong. This is where we disagree. People get frustrated not because they are statistically dealt a certain percentage of idiot teams but because specifically today in a very small sample they got dealt a crappy hand. That's what they are complaining about. It's got nothing to do with large samples and statistics in general. This is momentary frustration to which we are completely entitled.

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

If I understand your meaning correctly, you are saying that the randomness with which potatoes are placed on your team is statistically evened out by their being placed on the enemy team as well, so the only factor determining your own performance is your own moment-to-moment decision making. OK, sounds good so far.

But then you're basically saying that because of this, complaining about potatoes is wrong. This is where we disagree. People get frustrated not because they are statistically dealt a certain percentage of idiot teams but because specifically today in a very small sample they got dealt a crappy hand. That's what they are complaining about. It's got nothing to do with large samples and statistics in general. This is momentary frustration to which we are completely entitled.

Here is the thing - if one is placed on a crappy team they still can do well, even losing if they focus on their own performance and not all toxic comments. Not carry the game, it's hard to do when there are 11 potatoes in the team, but at least do okay and improve their own play by learning from mistakes.
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Here is the thing - if one is placed on a crappy team they still can do well, even losing if they focus on their own performance and not all toxic comments. Not carry the game, it's hard to do when there are 11 potatoes in the team, but at least do okay and improve their own play by learning from mistakes.

Of course. Sometimes one can end up on a crappy team and still carry the sack of potatoes to victory or at least do well while trying. Other times it doesn't work out this way. In either case, complaining about it on the forum does not constitute denial of statistical averages. It's just frustration talking.

Members
736 posts
11,428 battles

Of course. Sometimes one can end up on a crappy team and still carry the sack of potatoes to victory or at least do well while trying. Other times it doesn't work out this way. In either case, complaining about it on the forum does not constitute denial of statistical averages. It's just frustration talking.

"It's just your frustration talkin'
You're telling me lies, yeah
frustration talkin'
You wear a disguise
frustration talkin'
So misunderstood, yeah
frustration talkin'
You really no good"

I think that was a song from the SEABEE'S

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

exactly. And therefore here is the guide