You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Xechran

Atago HE cit on NC?

18 comments in this topic

Members
488 posts
10,310 battles

As it says, just scored a citadel against an NC with the Atago's 8 inch HE. Fired my 3 aft facing batteries at 13.6km. Landed on his midships around the superstructure.

I sold my NC before the buffs, can anyone open her up in armor viewer and see what kind of golden bb shot that was? Curious if there isnt a gap in her armor somewhere.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

There's only around 305mm of armor on NC's belt.

NC's citadel is exactly at waterline, so the NC would have to have been turning to expose its citadel.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

That's either a bug, or it wasn't HE at all. There's no way any HE would citadel a battleship like that, especially not from that far. 

edit*: also, you can view the armor of ships you don't own. 

Edited by Aduial

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

The Magic Loogie...

happens every now and then.

Members
488 posts
10,310 battles

Ah thanks, for some reason I thought you had to own the ship  to see the armor model.

Checking the layout, she has 37mm armor on the deck with 19mm of citadel deck armor. Looks like this was plunging fire through the decks.

Wait a second. Didn't NC have a 3 layer deck? 1.5", 5" .75" iirc. Is she missing her 5 inch armor deck?

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

That HE shell decided to do some penetration before blowing up its load... :trollface:

No. Just no. 

Members
569 posts
12,978 battles

Pics / replay needed.

Dude. he posted a link to the replay, in the 3rd post in this read.

Didn't you read past his initial post??

• Cool 1

Members
982 posts
366 battles

That's either a bug, or it wasn't HE at all. There's no way any HE would citadel a battleship like that, especially not from that far. 

edit*: also, you can view the armor of ships you don't own. 

So then how do you explain this?

bFDvnxf.jpg

Members
488 posts
10,310 battles

Wow, thats a blast from the past. With all the armor and ballistics changes I wouldn't lend much weight to it. This one, though, happened last night on this patch and we can see exactly why.

I checked around and this issue with the NC armor has been noted but people tended to think it was an error with the viewer itself not displaying the 5 inch deck, rather than the 5 inch deck simply not existing in the game. But an 8" HE shell likely would not penetrate 7.25" of armor dead on at that range, much less at the kind of shallow angle needed for a deck pen. So I'd say theres no two ways around it, NC is running around naked and exposed. :hiding:

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

So then how do you explain this?

bFDvnxf.jpg

I can't explain it, that's why i think it's a bug.

Members
488 posts
10,310 battles

IIRC in earlier builds the citadel hit box was larger than the citadel armor box. On some ships. And don't know if Iowa was one of those ships, but that would explain it.

Edited by Xechran

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

You can get HE cits on BBs, especially older ones, through the secondary casemates. I've cit Fuso and Texas that way, Texas more than once. But that doesn't seem possible with the North Carolina. 

So you're saying I should aim at her superstructure for AP cits in my Tirpitz?

Members
488 posts
10,310 battles

Eh, probably not. At least not unless you are at near max range and your shells will start dropping. Here:

sNGlkYA.jpg

WeX6m57.jpg

The citadel top deck is literally at the waterline. The belt extends higher than the citadel. To make full use of this, you must punch in through the 37mm deck or 32mm side armor above the belt and then drop into the 19mm citadel deck. Of course, the box is rectangular making that easier the closer to bow/stern on you are without hitting ricochet angles. Which means the NC may actually be safer full on broadside than sitting at an angle.

This is going to be an extreme issue once bow on tanking is removed. Pens coming in through the bow will be much, much more likely to drop into that tissue paper citadel box.

Edited by Xechran

Members
1,022 posts
13,341 battles

this one is easy the shot went down the smoke stack and exploded in the engine room / boiler.  well done man ! 

just watch the end of star wars to see a similar  shot  on the death star !