Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ACR_gunner

Hiryu vs Saipan

26 comments in this topic

Members
50 posts
2,352 battles

Most games in my hiryu i face air superiority: loadout and captain skill saipans with no rangers, i cant do anything because the fighters easily overwhelm me and can easily get to another part of the map to stop one of my attacks. Any tips? (i use strike hiryu)

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,839 battles

Go balanced?

Get the 15 point Captain. 

Your two fighters should tie up or strafe out, and you should be able to overwhelm him with squads elsewhere, especially when he needs to re-arm his fighters.

Out think your opponent.  You can't just alt drop and win.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

As a Saipan player, here is how to frustrate me the most with a strike loadout:

For early match—the first third or so—hit lead elements of the enemy group. If you can drop on a destroyer that isn't under direct fighter supervision, you should be able to retreat behind friendly AA screens before the Corsairs arrive. If it's a T7 match with mostly bad-AA T5/6 ships, well, that sucks. Otherwise probe and bait and drop ASAP even if they miss—getting your planes back is your top priority.

By the time things have unfolded and you're in the thick of the match, you should still have a full set of replacement squadrons. So use your knowledge of the enemy fleet to try to sneak your planes into position for a good strike or two. If the enemy Saipan is 2/2/0, try to make sure your aircraft come into enemy view when the enemy's torpedo bombers are on their way to a target. You'll force the Saipan to do one of three things—give you a head start on your strike, pay less attention to their own strike (and possibly accidentally drift those planes into AA), or send their TBs back to safety while they concentrate on your bombers. Any of those outcomes helps your team. Unless you are very good, don't try to snipe—either the enemy Saipan is good enough to sense a snipe if your planes have been hidden long enough and you'll get ambushed, or the enemy Saipan is bad enough that you help your team more dodging the fighters and striking ships that can actually harm your team. (The previous advice does not apply if the Saipan is doing a masterful job of lighting your own destroyers, in which case it's good if you can sink it before your team loses all destroyers.)

By late match a 2/2/0 Saipan is probably settled in to a comfortable rhythm and it should be easier for you to slip a big strike through in-between fast sneak attacks on lead elements. A 3/0/1 Saipan, on the other hand, becomes more difficult and you may do well to sit idly with one last set of planes in your hangar, awaiting an opportunity for the Saipan to either get frustrated, lose too many fighters to your AA, or get careless and get attacked by a friendly surface ship. If you're being fighter-camped but you saved a sortie's worth of planes like a good commander, don't be afraid to launch them when the enemy fighter groups are in need of reinforcement—you may not make it back to your ship in time, or you may lose a squadron or two even to one- or two-fighter squadrons, but it's worth it if you can help tip the scales to your team's favour one last time.

I hope that helped a little. It's all off the top of my head, and I'm not an expert CV player, but perhaps it can shed some light. For what it's worth I never run 3/0/1—as much as I like the idea of a nine-Skyshark squadron and the 1000lb bombs they bear, 2/2/0 is more than enough fighters and the torpedoes perform better.

Edited by Special_Kay
  • Cool 2

Members
708 posts
8,324 battles

Pray that enemy Saipan is a noob...

When people spent money and time to get their Saipan with a 15 point captain, they have the right to crush other players... After all that's what they paid for...

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

As a Saipan player, here is how to frustrate me the most with a strike loadout:

As another Saipan driver; as well as a Ranger and Hiryu driver; this is good advice. I've been frustrated many times on both sides of this.

Finally getting that 15th skill point helps Saipan a lot. As a Hiryu driver; watch out if the Saipan's fighters have FOUR aircraft instead of the usual THREE. They will tear you apart, unless you manage a good strafe.

Better in that case to follow Special_Kay's advice, scout, dodge and snipe, then jump in for a big attack when the fighters pull back to reload.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,856 posts
12,319 battles

Most games in my hiryu i face air superiority: loadout and captain skill saipans with no rangers, i cant do anything because the fighters easily overwhelm me and can easily get to another part of the map to stop one of my attacks. Any tips? (i use strike hiryu)

So.. your complaint is an AIR SUPERIORITY loadout is beating your STRIKE loadout?

The problem then, is you're using the strike loadout.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

Just today, I was in a team  where our Hiryu saw he was up against a Saipan and just quit the battle. What a turd.

I have a Hiryu myself & I would have fought the battle irregardless.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Is Hiryu vs Saipan as bad as Zuiho vs Bogue? At least Hiryu has a decent hangar capacity, unlike Zuiho.....

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Is Hiryu vs Saipan as bad as Zuiho vs Bogue? At least Hiryu has a decent hangar capacity, unlike Zuiho.....

Depends on player skill in both, cases; and also whether or not the Bogue is playing Stike or balanced. Even if the Bogue is using Air superiority; my advice is tie up one fighter with yours, sacrifice a bomber, the attack something with the other two.

In both cases, the USN CV can be a tough opponent, but the IJN CV still has the advantage of numbers, if used properly.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Depends on player skill in both, cases; and also whether or not the Bogue is playing Stike or balanced. Even if the Bogue is using Air superiority; my advice is tie up one fighter with yours, sacrifice a bomber, the attack something with the other two.

In both cases, the USN CV can be a tough opponent, but the IJN CV still has the advantage of numbers, if used properly.

Yeah... but with Zuiho's tiny hangar capacity, you really gotta make every strike count... you may only get 2 tries to do something useful. 
Edited by Aduial

[-FINS]
Members
363 posts
16,865 battles

If you go back to the when the Saipan was originally released, you can see a few posts by other people as well as one from me.  In them there is a considerable amount of discussion about how to deal with a Saipan.  But essentially if you do not have the majority in fighters (4v3), you do not fight their fighters.  If you do have the advantage and you should try to bait their fighters into the outer reaches of a friendly ship's AA and then engage.  You will ultimately win as you have more ammo and have a slight addition of ship DPS.  If they are running AS, separate your planes in half or thirds so that you have two groups of 1 fighter 1 TB and 1 DB or into groups of 2 fighters and two groups of 1TB and 1DB.  This makes it harder on you to manage, but also makes it harder for the Saipan to stay relevant.  Breaking up your squads means they have to break up their mass of fighters allowing you to take positive trades if you attack 2 squads on 1.

Honestly its been so long since I've played against a Saipan so whatever I just said is probably garbage information.  The old topic information is probably much more useful than anything someone will reply here so just go back and read those.

Members
27 posts
2,463 battles

Bait the Saipan's fighters into dogpiling one of your squadrons and then strafe over the ensuing dogfight with your other squadron. You can afford the friendly fire fighter losses much more easily than Saipan can afford to replace the fighters of hers you kill. I run strike Hiryu, and while AS Saipan is by far the most frustrating opponent this has been my go to method for dealing with her.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

Snipe the Saipan. 

Saipan fighters are very fast. If you cannot see all of them, assume one is in position to get behind your bombers and strafe them before you reach your prize.

Personally when I suspect a snipe I tend to send a fighter squadron to watch whichever border is dark, still close enough that I can bring them back to me if I see bombers inbound on a different heading. I've yet to be sniped, granted I've only endured a handful of attempts in my 60-some Saipan matches. It's just too easy to defend against with the speed of the Corsairs.

One thing I meant to mention up above is that, to the best of my knowledge, aircraft are spotted at 8km. Use whatever references you can to estimate how much screen width that is at your favoured level of zoom, so you have a good sense of when your planes are visible.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

Air Supremacy is extremely helpful. The smaller your squadrons are, the more potent an extra aircraft becomes.

Dogfighting Expert isn't very useful at all these days, but at T7 it will make a large difference vs. Saipan's Corsairs.

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

So.. your complaint is an AIR SUPERIORITY loadout is beating your STRIKE loadout?

The problem then, is you're using the strike loadout.

>Hiryu, a Japanese carrier

>Strike loadout

What strike loadout?  Hiryu has AS and balanced.  Neither loadout can compete against a Saipan's fighter potential unless you're really good at outplaying him.

• Cool 1

[BMBF]
Members
208 posts
16,007 battles

Hiryu haw a Fighter Loadout 3/1/2.

I don't consider it worthwhile vs Saipan.

You simply have to out think the Saipan.

It's your only advantage

Members
738 posts
6,483 battles

I started getting wrecked by Hiryus in my Saipan probably due to captain skill changes, so i bought my Hiryu back today amd started testing it. 

I jad 32 plane kills in strike Hiryu vs 19 olane kills of enemy AS Saipan in one game. 

Hiryu t6 TBs suck so much when facing t8 and t9 AA though...almost sold hiryu after 2 games because of this. But immo gonna gove it a chance. 

Edited by Carrier_Junyo

[FAAL]
[FAAL]
Members
21 posts
22,186 battles

I have the 2 boats and I really enjoy defeating the saipan with my hiryu it is easy to learn to play with the head and the team

[BMBF]
Members
208 posts
16,007 battles

Ok. I was wrong.

AS Loadout 3/1/2

Huge difference vs Strike Saipan. Just handles them like red headed stepchildren.

Though the test is gonna be vs AS Saipan

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,856 posts
12,319 battles

Look, its a simple thing really.

Saipan has very limited replacement fighters while the Hiryu AS has more replacement fighters.

A Saipan that knows how to use his planes will be strafing and avoiding locked-down fighter dogfights... but thanks to WG's incompetent coding, all you need to do is avoid the strafe and order your fighters to attack the Saipan fighter that is strafing and voila, you got those planes locked down. Once they're locked down you use another fighter to strafe it. Yes, you will lose your fighters that are locked down but so will the Saipan.. and in the attrition game, you win.

If you do not have the captain skill that increases your fighter's performance based on tier difference then simply don't bother.. just use your fighters to keep the saipan's locked down while your strike planes go hit something.

Members
2,688 posts
4,560 battles

Ok. I was wrong.

AS Loadout 3/1/2

Huge difference vs Strike Saipan. Just handles them like red headed stepchildren.

Though the test is gonna be vs AS Saipan

That's a big nope.  The whole 3v2 squadron thing is why AS IJN beats AS USN,  more flexibility.  AS Saipan gets both 3 fighters and T9 fighters,  coming in at 4 of those puppies to the Hiryu's 5.  In a straight up match the Saipans going to take it.  Thing is, Hiryu's probably got the reserves to make it work.  If a Hiryu can drop a decent number of the Saipans planes in a pass then even if she loses all of her fighters, she'll have technically won the numbers game.  Sheer attrition may work here.  Course thats without taking strafe into consideration,  though the Saipans fighters are fairly amazing at surviving that.

[2CUTE]
Members
119 posts
2,827 battles

Clear skies in my Hiryu against AS Saipans... yeah. 

Sign in to follow this