Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hexeris

A thank you to DD players

21 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,255 posts
17,509 battles

I have had a few games recently in my BB's where I have pushed up and had a friendly DD drop smoke to cover my butt as I was getting pounded on. Thank you, saved my bacon a few times!

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

You DO realize that in WW2, destroyers actively used smoke to cover up FLEETS of ships?  Or are you trying to make game into basically one big NERF battle with foam boats in a digital bathtub?

Please stop catering to the overly sensitive, precious snowflake Call of Duty entitled cry baby players, cause this crap is getting REALLY old!

EDIT: Link  https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/09/19/wows-qa-19th-september-2016/

6. We do not like firing from invisibility. Destroyers firing from smoke are fine, but not battleships. We are working to change the gameplay.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

that was from another thread, they want to do away with dds helping battleships with smoke.... so much for encouraging teamwork

Members
6,889 posts
14,871 battles

I have had a couple DD players as well - one who bailed me out and one tried  I do appreciate their efforts though!

• Cool 1

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Seriously with you people...

THE KEY WORD. IS. FIRING. They don't want INVISIBLE battleships FIRING with impunity without being detected at 5km. NOTHING there suggests BBs will not be able to defensively use smoke. They probably just want to (for GOOD reason) make smoke more TACTICAL instead of pure cheese.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

Seriously with you people...

THE KEY WORD. IS. FIRING. They don't want INVISIBLE battleships FIRING with impunity without being detected at 5km. NOTHING there suggests BBs will not be able to defensively use smoke. They probably just want to (for GOOD reason) make smoke more TACTICAL instead of pure cheese.

Ok, fair distinction. But I think a BB firing from smoke is ok and realistic. A battleship firing from smoke wouldn't make it suddenly be visible and not covered in smoke. The muzzle flash would temporally give its position away, but that is already true in game. 

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,574 battles

Nothing wrong with smoking to save a BB that's getting pounded hard, but I still don't want them invisifiring. They have big guns and serious armor for a reason.

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Ok, fair distinction. But I think a BB firing from smoke is ok and realistic. A battleship firing from smoke wouldn't make it suddenly be visible and not covered in smoke. The muzzle flash would temporally give its position away, but that is already true in game. 

This is a game- not real life. Balance and fun comes before all else. It's easy to argue the massive shockwave from one of those 14+ inch cannons would blow away a bit of smoke. I mean hell- if you fire the damn things ABOVE A DECK too close it can SEVERELY damage it from the shockwave last I checked.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

This is a game- not real life. Balance and fun comes before all else. It's easy to argue the massive shockwave from one of those 14+ inch cannons would blow away a bit of smoke. I mean hell- if you fire the damn things ABOVE A DECK too close it can SEVERELY damage it from the shockwave last I checked.

I guess I argue to leave it as is because I have never found it be a issue/unbalanced myself. While it allows a BB to sit and take some shots, it leaves itself very vulnerable to torps. In fact, I don't do it because of the torps, I would rather be moving and angling then getting a few salvos off from smoke. So since you right, its a game, and arguing about whats "real" is pointless so let me ask you, why do you think its unbalanced/not fun? Do you think the existing system is a problem? 

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

I guess I argue to leave it as is because I have never found it be a issue/unbalanced myself. While it allows a BB to sit and take some shots, it leaves itself very vulnerable to torps. In fact, I don't do it because of the torps, I would rather be moving and angling then getting a few salvos off from smoke. So since you right, its a game, and arguing about whats "real" is pointless so let me ask you, why do you think its unbalanced/not fun? Do you think the existing system is a problem? 

Something tells me you're one of the BB players that abuses this...

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

Something tells me you're one of the BB players that abuses this...

Hahaha, no. I just insist on being the devils advocate. (and haven't noticed this being a problem really)  The few times I have tried to sit in smoke I have gotten torped, even in a dd this is a danger, so its not a strategy I employ. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Hahaha, no. I just insist on being the devils advocate. (and haven't noticed this being a problem really)  The few times I have tried to sit in smoke I have gotten torped, even in a dd this is a danger, so its not a strategy I employ. 

Its all about ranked... its a standard ranked battle scenario... DD smokes goes for cap spots team kills enemy from behind smoke. 
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
471 posts
5,902 battles

I have had a few games recently in my BB's where I have pushed up and had a friendly DD drop smoke to cover my butt as I was getting pounded on. Thank you, saved my bacon a few times!

Your welcome... now to the next BB I do this for that drives out of it.... I will torp you myself.....   YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Members
1,840 posts
2,716 battles

You are welcome.

On an aside, there has been an overabundance of bb on dd luv lately.  Muh feels leads me to believe BB = hooman  DD = cat.

IENf54G.gif

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

Its all about ranked... its a standard ranked battle scenario... DD smokes goes for cap spots team kills enemy from behind smoke. 

Ah, I haven't participated in ranked battles yet, I am looking forward to the upcoming season though. 

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,840 battles

Yeah, I've noticed that happening more often lately in my games.

Probably just luck though :)

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

Yeah, I've noticed that happening more often lately in my games.

Probably just luck though :)

I say its cause the Mighty Jingles has spot lighted this behavior on his channel recently

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,840 battles

I tend to agree. BBs firing out of the smoke is too powerful. It shouldn't conceal them in that case; laying smoke for a BB is a defensive tool, to escape concentrated enemy fire.

Members
2,066 posts
23,611 battles

I'm up to Gnevny now and have been laying smoke a lot for others. I had an epiphany while driving a Konig and having a Jap DD do it for me to help secure a CAP. It kept me from getting hit and resetting.

Sign in to follow this