Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Colber

Question about a Possible Premium Aircraft Carrier

11 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
259 posts
13,552 battles

Came across an article the other afternoon on this 1 of a kind Aircraft carrier that might be able to be made into a Premium.

Germanys  Graf Zepplin -- 85% completed at WWII start but never finished due to construction priorites for War efforts.  After being scuttled in 1945 Russia raised it just to sink in in weapons testing later on.

Link from Wiki-pedia for this ship.  Their can never be a 7 ship line of carriers for this country so I think being a 1 off premium would atleast give some Air Power to players who like to play/own specific countries or styles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_aircraft_carrier_Graf_Zeppelin  ( not good at making hyper-links in forum posts -- sorry )

I cant imagine which tier it would be best at but thinking tier 7 like the Saipan based around the plane setups I read, I leave that up to those of you who know and understand the parameters better than myself.

Beta Testers
10 posts
5,464 battles

Their can never be a 7 ship line of carriers for this country 

I think you underestimate Wargamings Ability to "Find" documents in Russian Archives :)

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
259 posts
13,552 battles

check the link it gives a ton of specs on the ship right on the page itself -- im guessing some of these ships have been created from less.

[-NACL]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,697 posts
28,327 battles

I imagine it would be similar to Saipan in loadout, but with slower more hesvily armored attack planes, likely be setup like IJN squads. 

The fact that she was being built with 105 and 150mm secondaries and good AA overall, she would likely be relatively capable with standing off against a pursuing IJN DD.

[-NACL]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,697 posts
28,327 battles

I think you underestimate Wargamings Ability to "Find" documents in Russian Archives :)

I think he meant there cannot be a 7 ship line... seeing as only 4 were planned. B was scrapped, and 3 others were considered for light carriers.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

Yea, a full line of German CV's would be too fantastical. I would really like to see the Graf Zeppelin and German planes represented in game.  A premium is the obvious choice, but it does raise the question, Do tech tree lines have to be full/complete lines?

Beta Testers
259 posts
13,552 battles

Yea, a full line of German CV's would be too fantastical. I would really like to see the Graf Zeppelin and German planes represented in game.  A premium is the obvious choice, but it does raise the question, Do tech tree lines have to be full/complete lines?

Second IJN DD line isnt complete -- goes from tier 5 or 6 to tier 8 no tier 10  --- when this comes out.   also ever plan on seeing a complete polish DD line  ( Blyswanka ).
Edited by Colber
  • Cool 1

[_REKT]
Members
490 posts
4,096 battles

Depending what they do with the compliment - tier 6 or 7, probably.  It's sort of laid out like Akagi - upper/lower hangers, similar displacement. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,769 posts
12,341 battles

I would love to see the Graf Zepplin made a Tier 7 or 8 German Premium CV. The game could only benefit from having a 'middle of the road' CV that takes the best of both IJN and USN, or just goes full historical kinda like they somewhat did with the Sharnhorst.

... and with 10.6km maxed secondaries (drool)

I would absolutely put down $$$ for one.

Plus, who can say no to that face?!

tJHpU1a.png

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,769 posts
12,341 battles

I bet they could do something even with just this image...

SLfWU6u.png

[WOLF2]
Members
42 posts
11,637 battles

It is an oddity.  It was laid in 1938, and was planned to have an air wing compliment of 40 and was 870ft long.  At that time, the US was launching the Yorktown class carrier, actually 1 year even earlier.  The Yorktown was complimented with 90 aircraft and was nearly 800 feet long.   Most of the ships in WoWs follow a timeline, rather than a firepower match up, for the most part.  The Graf Zeppelin has a load out similar to that of the Langley (36), but the size of the more modern CV's in WoWs.  It was proposed to do 32kts which would make her quite fast, and was projected to carry only fighters and dive bombers.   

Could this be made into something like the Saipan?  I don't think so honeslty, though the answers is of course it could.  I dont think WG would find many people willing to shell out $45 for a premium ship, just like another premium ship, which has no commander succession and no ability to benefit form training other commanders in.  

Germany was not in the business of aircraft carriers, so I would find it hard pressed to invest in to designing a premium one which little percieved sales value, when they can just made another premium of a new nation, such as British or a random ally like they did with Poland.

Sign in to follow this