You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
10T0nHammer

World of BBs and DDs?!?!?

19 comments in this topic

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

Well... not really lol contrary to the popular belief, CAs are actually the second most played class, if only by a little bit. They are also fairing quite well statistically:

name class players total battles average of rates
battles win draw lose exp damage
caused
warship
destroyed
aircraft
destoryed
base
capture
base
defense
survived kill /
death
1 BB Higher Tier 8484 230651 27.19 49.96 0.03 50.01 1289 53856 0.83 2.13 0.00 0.00 38.17 1.34
1 CA Higher Tier 7500 179988 24.00 49.99 0.04 49.98 1144 35849 0.66 1.41 0.00 0.00 29.64 0.94
1 CV Higher Tier 1177 27871 23.68 50.26 0.06 49.68 1267 57339 0.96 15.47 0.00 0.00 68.48 3.05
1 DD Higher Tier 6928 178593 25.78 49.75 0.03 50.22 1219 28973 0.68 0.35 0.00 0.00 28.12 0.95

1 week snapshot of NA server

They also survive a bit longer at high tier than their *heavy sarcasm*OP*heavy sarcasm* cousin: DDs. So why do people think that CAs are not being played? I think it has to do, mostly with confirmation bias, with the time period people play combined with what I would like to call the "meh" factor. Cruisers are rarely noticed and I think its because they don't have that really annoying niche that the DD or BB have.

BB have the annoying nose on, long range, insta-gibbing of CAs that makes them memorable in game, especially considering that they are the back bone of any successful push. It makes you notice them in game much more easily.

DDs have the invisifire and invisitorp that allow them to pester BBs even if it almost never leads to damage. They also have smoke which can get irritating when a Khab sits in smoke at 12km and successfully pelts your BB constantly without the ability to fight back.

CAs? Well they don't have that annoying niche, IMO. Most people see them as easy targets, even if the stats show that they are not, that are meant to be pushed around by BBs and DDs. This false perception is what allows them to to successfully keep their win rate up while appearing to be very fragile.

Now does that mean that there are no weak CAs? Far from it. You have ships like the Baltimore and the New Orleans that could use some love but for the most part, IJN, VMF, DE, and Des Moines are really good at high tiers, even being a challenge for BBs to engage.

Just something to think about when you hear "CAs are weak at high tiers" or when you slip into the mentality that they are weak and you end up getting killed by one because you let your guard down.

One final note, saying that they don't die as often as, lets say BBs, doesn't mean they are strong either. CAs do have a bad habit of dying the second most painful deaths in game.

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles

According to your stats, they barely out damage destroyers and considerably less than a BB, they make the least XP, they kill the fewest ships, they have the worst kill to death ratio,

They are weak 

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Really? So i'm the only one that constantly gets battles with 2-3 CAs? 

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

I agree with you that CAs aren't weak, I don't think they're weak and when played right they are incredible. I do actually think BBs are too durable and that DDs have excessive importance in the battle being a win or a loss though...

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

According to your stats, they barely out damage destroyers and considerably less than a BB, they make the least XP, they kill the fewest ships, they have the worst kill to death ratio,

They are weak 

Damage isn't everything or all DDs are super weak and need immediate buffs. They win the most games simply because they are the most flexible.

I agree with you that CAs aren't weak, I don't think they're weak and when played right they are incredible. I do actually think BBs are too durable and that DDs have excessive importance in the battle being a win or a loss though...

Thats the thing though, DDs and BBs are too rigid, compared to CAs. BBs cannot cap and DDs cannot deal damage. The CA can due both thanks to decent guns and stealth builds.

Edited by 10T0nHammer

Members
6,589 posts
8,581 battles

When you say high tier, do you mean to start at T8+ or are you referring to T7+. Both, in my eyes can be considered 'high tier' because of their MM range. T7 can see T9 and T8 can see T10, which are both definitely 'high tiers'.

Also, anecdotal evidence over the past few weeks suggests otherwise, because games are averaging 5 BBs per side and only 4 cruisers per side, at least, that's what I've been noticing. Rarely have I had games where the total cruisers in the game/match outnumber the total BBs.

Members
1,430 posts
3,437 battles

DDs cannot deal damage.

Oh then i have been playing this game wrong.
  • Cool 2

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

Take the best players in a CA and compare them to a DD with similar stats. Its almost a 30k difference. Stats do not lie. CAs are simply the most balanced in terms of damage output and flexibility on none combat related support (capping) of the 3 classes.

Edited by 10T0nHammer

Alpha Tester
874 posts
5,544 battles

Really? So i'm the only one that constantly gets battles with 2-3 CAs? 

I wouldn't say constantly but I did get several over the weekend and even a few with only 1 CA per team or 0 CAs total.

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,783 posts
15,306 battles

I love cruisers, but this is kind of telling to me.  

Cruisers are presently a class that has all the disadvantages of battleships (visibility) and destroyers (fragility) all wrapped into one class.  You can have amazing games... as long as no one shoots at you.  As soon as you're focus-fired, it's game over.  

Members
807 posts
7,069 battles

CAs that aren't T10 and a few exceptions are pretty mediocre IMO. They're just too fragile to withstand any sort of punishment. It's usually either dodge the barrage or get rekt.  

All of the Japanese CAs except Mogami have thick (sometimes extremely so) amidship deck armor which can bounce BB shells quite reliably at range.

T10 CAs except the Des Moines have enough upper belt and amidship deck armor to stop BB overmatch mechanics, and are capable of bouncing BB shells as well when angled. Coupled with their railguns and HE spam, they're definitely not pushovers.

Quite disappointing that the only T10 CA to ever exist has the least effective armor against BBs compared to her peers.

Members
1,726 posts
15,044 battles

It's relative. Some players can put up great damage numbers in DDs, more than most people put up in cruisers. But then those same players probably put up BB numbers in CAs, CV numbers in BBs, and probably don't play CVs well because most people don't. Even if all of that is the case, DDs still typically do the least damage out of the classes 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

not sure what defines high tiers, but generally,   after tier 8   CA numbers drops off.     I havn't played much CA in a while, as BBs are much easier class.     I can average 60-70k easily on BBs at t7 while I struggle to make 40k   with CAs.        but then, that is just me.  

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

not sure what defines high tiers, but generally,   after tier 8   CA numbers drops off.     I havn't played much CA in a while, as BBs are much easier class.     I can average 60-70k easily on BBs at t7 while I struggle to make 40k   with CAs.        but then, that is just me.  

I kinda have the same experience. My Kongo clones have roughly the same performance as my Mogami. That is partially due to the fact that i didn't figure out how to play the Mogami until recently, but it still says something. 

Members
1,430 posts
3,437 battles

It's relative. Some players can put up great damage numbers in DDs, more than most people put up in cruisers. But then those same players probably put up BB numbers in CAs, CV numbers in BBs, and probably don't play CVs well because most people don't. Even if all of that is the case, DDs still typically do the least damage out of the classes 

I feel like someone just analyzed me or something.

(Do you play CVs? Could some tips for them.)