You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Banshee

Little suggestion in regards to the bow armor rework.

19 comments in this topic

Members
39 posts
5,852 battles

As the title suggests, i have been thinking about the bow armor rework and the thing it is trying to achieve, to put a stop to high tier BB bow campers.

As alot of people are kinda sceptic about it, considering the bow campers will simply keep on doing what they do best, only now having to angle themselfs while reversing or running at 1/4 or what now, i for one get frustrated whenever i come across any of those so called tacticians who stop mid of a firefight and just point bow or angle themselfs to enemies and start sailing backwards or ahead 1/4.

I for one did not play WoT, and am not here to win a world cup or an olympic medal, and am here for the naval warfare and the great ww2 warships, the backwards sailing tacticians ruin the whole game feel for me whenever i come across some of those "professional" players, so i was thinking, wouldnt it be a good thing to maybe, try and combine the bow armor rework, with a massive reduction in acceleration for the first gear and full reverse?

Id tend to think people will start thinking twice before stopping mid of a firefight and start sailing backwards then ahead 1/4 or what not, if the slow acceleration would make them sitting ducks for the whole battlefield.

Edited by Admiral_Chy

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

As the title suggests, i have been thinking about the bow armor rework and the thing it is trying to achieve, to put a stop to high tier BB bow campers.

As alot of people are kinda sceptic about it, considering the bow campers will simply keep on doing what they do best, only now having to angle themselfs while reversing or running at 1/4 or what now, i for one get frustrated whenever i come across any of those so called tacticians who stop mid of a firefight and just point bow or angle themselfs to enemies and start sailing backwards or ahead 1/4.

I for one did not play WoT, and am not here to win a world cup or an olympic medal, and am here for the naval warfare and the great ww2 warships, the backwards sailing tacticians ruin the whole game feel for me whenever i come across some of those "professional" players, so i was thinking, wouldnt it be a good thing to maybe, try and combine the bow armor rework, with a massive reduction in acceleration?

Id tend to think people will start thinking twice before stopping mid of a firefight and start sailing backwards then ahead 1/4 or what not, if the slow acceleration would make them sitting ducks for the whole battlefield.

It's mostly BBs, and for them, the acceleration is quite slow. If you ask me, they should've just made it so that anyone targeting a player going anywhere from full reverse to standstill for more than 5 seconds gets -50% dispersion.

Just watch how quickly players stop doing it. 

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
9,649 posts
7,316 battles

I for one did not play WoT, and am not here to win a world cup or an olympic medal, and am here for the naval warfare and the great ww2 warships, the backwards sailing tacticians ruin the whole game feel for me whenever i come across some of those "professional" players, so i was thinking, wouldnt it be a good thing to maybe, try and combine the bow armor rework, with a massive reduction in acceleration?

The reason people stop and reverse is because the sides of their Battleships are extremely vulnerable, turning around and doing a 180 is very dangerous.  If you charge too far ahead, you'll expose your flanks and be destroyed quickly, which is why these ships stop their engines and back away when they realize they cannot advance anymore.

Members
39 posts
5,852 battles

It's mostly BBs, and for them, the acceleration is quite slow. If you ask me, they should've just made it so that anyone targeting a player going anywhere from full reverse to standstill for more than 5 seconds gets -50% dispersion.

Just watch how quickly players stop doing it. 

That could work, but id be more for a -50% dispersion for full reverse, stand still or ahead 1/4 for more than 30 seconds (a usual BB reload cycle for high tier), cause imo during battle circumstances no BB should be sailing ahead 1/4 anyways, i can understand, 2/4 and 3/4 as slight differences from the regular ahead full, but 1/4 should not be encouraged either since its kinda just like full reverse imo.

The reason people stop and reverse is because the sides of their Battleships are extremely vulnerable, turning around and doing a 180 is very dangerous.  If you charge too far ahead, you'll expose your flanks and be destroyed quickly, which is why these ships stop their engines and back away when they realize they cannot advance anymore.

I can understand that but lets be fair here, if they got in way too deep or advanced without any situational awareness, then they deserve to get destroyed, nuff said, might be a change that would encourage and enforce more team play and more coordinated pushes.

Members
781 posts
9,892 battles

the change is not necessary, smart people fire HE at bow on battleships... way to dumb the game down even more :sceptic:

[REVY]
Members
9,649 posts
7,316 battles

I can understand that but lets be fair here, if they got in way too deep or advanced without any situational awareness, then they deserve to get destroyed, nuff said, might be a change that would encourage and enforce more team play and more coordinated pushes.

In practice, it's difficult for a captain to understand what he/she is up against unless the entire enemy team as been spotted.  Otherwise, the fog of war can cause BB to overextend themselves in the blink of an eye.

Members
39 posts
5,852 battles

the change is not necessary, smart people fire HE at bow on battleships... way to dumb the game down even more :sceptic:

What dumbs the game down is people reversing like they are driving tanks or trucks, ITS A NAVAL GAME FOR GODS SAKE, name one single, battle in all of history, where a ship was sailing backwards in the middle of a battle and it was effective at doing so.

Members
39 posts
5,852 battles

In practice, it's difficult for a captain to understand what he/she is up against unless the entire enemy team as been spotted.  Otherwise, the fog of war can cause BB to overextend themselves in the blink of an eye.

Well, dont we all know BBs shouldnt go out sailing by themselfs pushing alone in the first place?

Members
781 posts
9,892 battles

What dumbs the game down is people reversing like they are driving tanks or trucks, ITS A NAVAL GAME FOR GODS SAKE, name one single, battle in all of history, where a ship was sailing backwards in the middle of a battle and it was effective at doing so.

its an arcade game, people will still reverse, because being bow on is still better than full broadside.
  • Cool 1

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

You see, this why us, "tacticians" call folks like you "potatoes" - any human being with at least 3 brain cells still firing would have realized that massive reduction of BB acceleration (which is not exactly high to begin with) would cause them to be utterly unable to maneuver.

Members
781 posts
9,892 battles

Id tend to think people will start thinking twice before stopping mid of a firefight and start sailing backwards then ahead 1/4 or what not

and this is a viable tactic if someone is found to be over extending themselves (when they look around and the team has abandoned them)

Thinking twice and not stopping as you suggest is called YOLOing and doesnt really help your team out if you charge face first into the entire enemy team.

Members
39 posts
5,852 battles

You see, this why us, "tacticians" call folks like you "potatoes" - any human being with at least 3 brain cells still firing would have realized that massive reduction of BB acceleration (which is not exactly high to begin with) would cause them to be utterly unable to maneuver.

And if you'd have more than half a brain cell you could consider that acceleration nerf could simply work for just the first gear and reverse, eg 1/4, full reverse as i initially intended to suggest so it has no impact on maneuvering and reducing speed all the way down to 2/4.

And also i did not specify the acceleration nerf would be just for BBs did i? ;)

Edited by Admiral_Chy

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,840 battles

I'll take HE into my bow over an AP BB salvo into my broadside any day of the week.

P.S. If you guys are looking for an accurate naval sim, this game isn't it.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

And if you'd have more than half a brain cell you could consider that acceleration nerf could simply work for just the first gear and reverse, eg 1/4, full reverse as i initially intended to suggest so it has no impact on maneuvering and reducing speed all the way down to 2/4.

And also i did not specify the acceleration nerf would be just for BBs did i? ;)

Even dumber than I thought...good players change throttle all the time (including throwing it into reverse) in order to change turn radius when dodging stuff and to throw enemy aim off.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

its an arcade game, people will still reverse, because being bow on is still better than full broadside.

Yep.  The Citadel from the bow is a tiny, tiny target.  The citadel from the broadside runs almost the entire length of the ship.  There will still be a huge advantage to being bow on, the only difference will be instead of point your bow directly at your target, you will angle the bow slightly.
  • Cool 2

Members
39 posts
5,852 battles

Yep.  The Citadel from the bow is a tiny, tiny target.  The citadel from the broadside runs almost the entire length of the ship.  There will still be a huge advantage to being bow on, the only difference will be instead of point your bow directly at your target, you will angle the bow slightly.

Yeah and aparently professionals like IceSerpenT will most probably still bow camp, only now throwing in a little angle here and there hehe, cause it seems bow camping while reversing is the only kind of maneuver they know as to not get rekt else they wouldnt whine about ways to stop it as they do, and funny thing is they actually feel professional while doing it rofl, wondering how fun WoWs battles would be if every single BB out there would engage eachother while angling bows and sailing backwards.

Even dumber than I thought...good players change throttle all the time (including throwing it into reverse) in order to change turn radius when dodging stuff and to throw enemy aim off.

Those are the kinds of tactics that should be encouraged, cruise speed cycling to throw aim off and evasive turnning, not sailing reversed with your bow angled, none of which would be affected by an acceleration nerf for 1/4, 2/4 and full reverse, so what are u crying on about m8?

And whats with the "even dumber than i thought", enlighten me please bruh, am i the one encouraging reverse bow campers?

Seems someone is afraid of loosing his "skills" with afew little changes :o

Please Bruh, name one historic battle where a BB was sailing backwards while engaging and i shall delete this whole post and stop.

But yeah, u cant, reduction in acceleration for the first few gears would just make people think twice before reversing, and would keep them that way for longer before being able to pickup speed again, would it make it impossible for people to reverse? Hell now, it would just make it alot slower, to discourage reverse campers as yourself.

Edited by Admiral_Chy

[_SDF_]
Members
130 posts
4,952 battles

When I'm in a BB and push a flank and that flank starts to get overrun then I slam into reverse to avoid giving my sides. It's a legitimate tactic and in no way makes me a "professional" player.

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
20,488 battles

when I poke my bow into 10km of enemy range, guess what happens? magically every single enemy starts firing at me, so my teammates 3km behind me can safely spit out damage while I tank. I don't see any problem in that. if anything, bow nerf will just force me to camp 20km from enemy and hope rngesus let me land a she'll on someone. is this the teamwork you guys want?

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Those are the kinds of tactics that should be encouraged, cruise speed cycling to throw aim off and evasive turnning, not sailing reversed with your bow angled, none of which would be affected by an acceleration nerf for 1/4, 2/4 and full reverse, so what are u crying on about m8?

And whats with the "even dumber than i thought", enlighten me please bruh, am i the one encouraging reverse bow campers?

Ok, here's your requested enlightenment: when acceleration on reverse gear doesn't work, attempts to cycle speed by throwing your ship into reverse while going full steam ahead also won't work. Having non-functional 1/4 forward is less damaging (not very useful as a nerf either by the way), because you can accelerate by throwing it into 1/2 and decelerate by reversing. Not to mention, that without working reverse gear, you'll get stuck for prolonged periods of time if you happen to collide with another ship or an island.

So, yes, by decreasing maneuverability you are indeed encouraging campers - if it takes a while to execute a maneuver, it's safer to do so as far away from the enemy as possible.