Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KzS_Gocker

Now you see them, now you don't.

14 comments in this topic

[VNVET]
Members
40 posts
14,200 battles

Here is a puzzle for those of you who are brighter than I am.  Let's say a given ship has a sea detectability range of 17.5 Km.  Also let's say our ship has a main battery range of 17.5 Km.  Now for the sake of argument let's say that the ship of the first part is INSIDE of our main battery range by 1 or 2 Km.  Then would somebody please explain to me how the ship of the first part can up AND VANISH while still inside of the main battery range of the ship of the second part!   I have seen a lot of debate on this vanishing act business to say the least.  Now if that is not enough try this on for size.  WG tells me that a ship's sea detectability GREATLY increases when there main batteries are fired thus exposing your ships position well beyond the stated minimum, and this is by the way a fact of WG life.  Yet again today I saw shell fire appearing out of the open sea with no ship present.  This flies right in the face of WG's claim of sea detectability increases when main batteries are fired  Personally I think WG needs to revisit this whole sea detectability issue, what with the RADAR capabilities of the vast majority of the ships in this game.  Because, if a ship is inside of the main battery range of a ship the radar will tell the captain the range of that ship with in meters, despite the other ship's detectability rating, thus allowing for very accurate fire control sight unseen if neccessary.  There are other issues related to this I would like to voice, but I will save them for rebuttal.

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

being in your gun range, and you being inside their detection range are different things. 

Do you have the concentric circles on your mini-map? 

If not, click the gear icon near the MM and turn them all on...

See the one for "detection range"? when a ship goes inside that ring they see you...on the outside they can't. 

DD's have incredibly small detection circles and even when firing, their detection ranges don't increase that much...hence teh term...invisifire. 

Edited by scruffycavetroll

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

You ever heard of stealth firing? Some ships, at certain ranges and/or with the right captain skills and modules, are able to fire without getting spotted. 

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

SAid ship has a STOCK detectabiliy of 17.5km, yet you can push that down to 13.75 with Catpain skill, upgrade and camo. Easy as that.

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

SAid ship has a STOCK detectabiliy of 17.5km, yet you can push that down to 13.75 with Catpain skill, upgrade and camo. Easy as that.

Also to make your post easier to understand, you should name your ships. At least with ship A and ship B.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Concealment system. Don't think of it from a realism standpoint. Look up the concealment values of ships and then do some math. Specific ships when specced correctly can invisifire.

Members
2,379 posts
4,080 battles

Here is a puzzle for those of you who are brighter than I am.  Let's say a given ship has a sea detectability range of 17.5 Km.  Also let's say our ship has a main battery range of 17.5 Km.  Now for the sake of argument let's say that the ship of the first part is INSIDE of our main battery range by 1 or 2 Km.  Then would somebody please explain to me how the ship of the first part can up AND VANISH while still inside of the main battery range of the ship of the second part!   I have seen a lot of debate on this vanishing act business to say the least.  Now if that is not enough try this on for size.  WG tells me that a ship's sea detectability GREATLY increases when there main batteries are fired thus exposing your ships position well beyond the stated minimum, and this is by the way a fact of WG life.  Yet again today I saw shell fire appearing out of the open sea with no ship present.  This flies right in the face of WG's claim of sea detectability increases when main batteries are fired  Personally I think WG needs to revisit this whole sea detectability issue, what with the RADAR capabilities of the vast majority of the ships in this game.  Because, if a ship is inside of the main battery range of a ship the radar will tell the captain the range of that ship with in meters, despite the other ship's detectability rating, thus allowing for very accurate fire control sight unseen if neccessary.  There are other issues related to this I would like to voice, but I will save them for rebuttal.

first question: islands and smoke can make them vanish. Depending on class, concealment expert can reduce detection by 1-5 km

second question: destroyers can invisifire if their max firing range is greater than their spotting distance while firing

Edited by TheSupremeOne34

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
118 posts
8,938 battles

Game working as intended.  Invisi-fire enjoyment of destroyers and cruisers based on their detect range after firing being shorter then spotting range! 

[WRHD]
Alpha Tester
335 posts
5,808 battles

If im remembering right, firing increases based on gun caliber size....thus DD's will increase less then BB's will when firing.  I've found DD's will increase approximately 5.5km.  which means if their new detectable range is still less then actual range to you, they will still be stealthed when firing at you. So enjoy the rain of HE shells.

Edited by EroSun

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,488 posts
29,180 battles

And you may be enjoying the sightline of other ships who get deleted or move out of position.

Members
2,379 posts
4,080 battles

If im remembering right, firing increases based on gun caliber size....thus DD's will increase less then BB's will when firing.  I've found DD's will increase approximately 5.5km.  which means if their new detectable range is still less then actual range to you, they will still be stealthed when firing at you. So enjoy the rain of HE shells.

it's like 5 for RU dd's, everyone else enjoys a mere 3km penalty

Beta Testers
471 posts
5,902 battles

You have ships that have:

Detectable 5.7

Debatable when firing +4km 9.7

Gun range 12km

That is about what the Gearing has.....  So it can stealth fire but has moon archs.

[WRHD]
Alpha Tester
335 posts
5,808 battles

it's like 5 for RU dd's, everyone else enjoys a mere 3km penalty

Ah, well when in my tin can's i prefer to err on the side of caution...no armor after all lol.

Members
553 posts
8,586 battles

There's 4 different factors with concealment based between 2 ships (assuming no aircraft), and I'll be running down them so you can understand why ships are invisible, yet you can still see them firing.

Concealment by sea: I abbreviate this as CbS for ease of typing. Concealment by sea is a raw stat that varies between all ships. If your raw CbS is 8 km, then you will not be detected by any ships outside of 8 km, but you will be spotted as soon as you go sub-8. A ship will "blink", that is, disappear and re-appear multiple times because that ships will fluctuate from 8 km to 8.1 km from another ship.

Concealment perks: Camo, captain skills, and ship upgrades will all contribute to lowering the raw CbS into something lower. If I have 8 km and a 25% decrease to my CbS, then my new CbS will be 6 km.

Detectability after firing a main gun: Firing a main gun/AA gun/being on fire will cause penalties to the CbS, increasing it. This might bring 8 km up to 14 km because I fired a shot. However, if my firing range is 15 km, and I stay 14 km away from other ships, then I will not be spotted.

Spotting range: Something that all ships have, it is represented by the cone on your mini-map. It is pointed in the direction you are facing, but actuallys acts as a circle. Any ship whose CbS overlaps with the CENTER of your circle(the center is your ship) will be spotted, assuming there are no islands. Battleships have the largest, and since it is so big, your main battery isn't going to reach that far, so targets aren't picked up.

Hope this clarifies your problem!

Sign in to follow this