You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avenger_Cannon

Proximity Fuze for USN and RN large caliber AA.

6 comments in this topic

Members
64 posts
3,261 battles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_fuze

" Vannevar Bush, head of the U.S. Office of Scientific Research and Development (OSRD) during the war, credited the proximity fuze with three significant effects.[23]

• It was important in defense from Japanese Kamikaze attacks in the Pacific. Bush estimated a sevenfold increase in the effectiveness of 5-inch antiaircraft artillery with this innovation.[24]
  • It was an important part of the radar-controlled antiaircraft batteries that finally neutralized the German V-1 attacks on England.[24]
  • It was used in Europe starting in the Battle of the Bulge where it was very effective against German divisions, and changed the tactics of land warfare. "

So perhaps we'll be seeing the incredibly oppressive AA upgrades for RN and USN ships for their 5 inch guns ?

This just seems like kind of a big deal to not be mentioned anywhere or put in some kind of upgraded important if the USN AA supremacy is to be maintained.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Well, USN AA is already excellent, and I don't think it's going to stop being the best of the trees anytime soon. I assume these shell types were taken into account when the AA balance was done, and is likely a good portion of why the AA is so good. I doubt there will be anything to make the AA of the USN ships any better, as the high tier cruisers and battleships are already effectively a no-fly zone. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

If I'm not mistaken, this sort of aspect is taken into account when they decide what average DPS each emplacement is capable of.

Members
331 posts
5,457 battles

What do you think all the flak surrounding your ship is when you come under air attack? That's the bursts from your 127mm DP guns and 40mm bofors.

If anything I want sanshiki (Type 3 incediary/bee hive) shells for my IJN battleships

Edited by Samurai_TwoSeven

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I think VT fuse or not is already accounted for.

Check out DM 3" guns and how much AA DPS they have.

Members
64 posts
3,261 battles

What do you think all the flak surrounding your ship is when you come under air attack? That's the bursts from your 127mm DP guns and 40mm bofors.

If anything I want sanshiki (Type 3 incediary/bee hive) shells for my IJN battleships

Those shells don't work very well and don't do much of anything by comparison. Every time they would be fired your other AA would be disrupted significantly.