You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mobryan

YAADLA- ARA Mendoza

6 comments in this topic

[SOFW]
Members
1,445 posts
7,924 battles

YAADLA

ARA Mendoza

As the South American dreadnought race fizzled out, the result of the Great War and declining local economies, competing navies shifted their emphasis towards more numerous, lighter and more affordable units. The Argentinian Navy placed an order for a total of 5 destroyers in 1926, resulting in some of the most powerful DD’s on the continent. Following typical practice for minor navies at the time, the Mendoza’s were based on an established hull, but had remarkable modern armament, giving us yet another ship that requires a detailed look.

1z37bkw.jpg

Early image of Mendoza, notice lack of call letters on forward hull.

Hull:

Based on Thornycroft’s late-WWI Shakespeare class hull, the Mendoza displaced around 2000 tons, or 12,300 HP, slotting it nicely at Tier 5.

Armor:

Speed, Speed is all the armor you need (or have, for that matter…)

Armament:

5x 120/45 QF Mk IX.  The standard Royal Navy DD gun for the interwar years, firing a 22.5kg shell at 808m/s and 10-12rpm. E mount is mounted directly between the twin funnels, effectively limiting its fire to either broadside, though it appears that E and X were both capable of 360* rotation.

2v3sumr.jpg

In service

AA:

A single 76mm AA gun and two single 40mm pom-poms are an adequate AA battery, but no more.

Torpedoes:

2x3 533mm  The ARA had a long-standing relationship with the Whitehead torpedo company, who supplied W250x533/7.5 type torpedoes, with speed of 62kts at 4km, or a long range setting of 12km at a glacial 46kts. Centerline mounted, the tubes were somewhat unusual in being stacked pyramid style, two on bottom and one above.

Maneuverability: With a length/beam ratio over 10:1, Mendoza is an aquatic dragster, trading turning circle for straight line speed. How much speed??? 40 knots, the fastest ship at tier 5, and one of the fastest in game not powered by a Stalinium fueled fusion plant.

2gw9u87.jpg

New World Record!!!

Consumables: Smoke and Engine Boost (Which on a 40kt ship should really be labeled “Ludicrous speed!!!”)

Pros:

Nice health pool

360* guns and centerline torpedo tubes help rapidly focus offensive power on either side.

Stupid amounts of Sheer SPEEED!!!

Cons:

Pedestrian AA battery

Suicide ranged torpedoes

Conclusion: Mendoza will be most at home on maps with plenty of islands, using landmasses for cover and blistering speed to exploit weaknesses. Offensive smoke and a knowledge of when to close for a Torpex coup-de-grace will be rewarded, but map awareness is a must. Overall, a reasonable Tier 5 gunboat.

Matt

Edited by mobryan
  • Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,436 battles

Nice write up.

BTW you meant "ludicrous" speed.

It served the Argentine navy for a long time, finally being decommissioned in 1962.

Edited by alexf24

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,905 battles

Nice write up.

BTW you meant "ludicrous" speed.

I think he was making a pun based on a rapper's name?

Looks like a fun ship, would be good to get the interwar RN 120/45 into the game ahead of RN destroyers. I'm not sure if a Shakespeare would be the RN T5 but if it were this would be low-hanging fruit. Gnevny with her better guns, and Nicholas with her far superior torpedo load would look better than this ship, but 40 kt and pew-pew would be grand.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,320 battles

Looks like a fun ship, would be good to get the interwar RN 120/45 into the game ahead of RN destroyers. I'm not sure if a Shakespeare would be the RN T5 but if it were this would be low-hanging fruit. Gnevny with her better guns, and Nicholas with her far superior torpedo load would look better than this ship, but 40 kt and pew-pew would be grand.

I thought he was making a pun based on "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

[SOFW]
Members
1,445 posts
7,924 battles

I thought he was making a pun based on "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Spaceballs, actually, but auto-correct mangled it.

The RN has so many different DD and DL classes, it's futile to speculate which ones might get included on the first line. Even if they did include the Shakespeare class, it would play completely differently than the Mendoza. The RN boats were slightly slower (36-38 knots, depending on source), used an earlier main gun with half the ROF, but had vastly improved torpedoes (the Mk IV from the Campbeltown). I think that is one of nice things about many of the South American ships, they may have been nominally based on someone else's design, but the weapons suites make them really unique boats.

Matt

[CRUZ]
Beta Testers
51 posts
3,217 battles

Nice review! WOWS we want the southamerican line!!!!

Edited by Dunaraz