Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GXZero

Ideas for a change to strafe skill and AP bombs

12 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
2,044 battles

TL;DR,

Have strafe skill rake ships with bullets vs airplanes, Give dive bombers AP bombs when the flight mod contains no torpedo bombers.

TL;DR End,

I was thinking on the battles of Midway and Leyte gulf, and then thought that adjusting the lack of historic CV tactics might fix the play problems with CV's

At Midway it was the rearming of HE loaded dive bombers to AP bombs that added to the destruction wrought by the US dive bombers as all carriers used AP bombs against heavy ships and HE bombs vs light and shore targets, but for game play balance having AP bombs and torpedoes would likely lead to more strike carrier play then before.  So instead of the many proposed AP bomb I though what if instead of trying to program it to select between AP and HE bombs they were automatically selected based of the Flight mod you pick at port.

Using Mid level US CV as example (due to their heavy change over of Wings)

On the Default Flight mod, you have Fighters, Torpedo Bombers, and Dive Bombers (HE loaded)

On the Strike Flight Mod, you have Torpedo Bombers and Dive Bombers ( HE Loaded )

On the Air Superiority Mod, you have Fighters and Dive Bombers ( AP Loaded ) 

To put it simply if the flight mod has torpedo bombers in it you get HE bombs, if it doesn't then you get AP bombs. No other changes to the bombers.  Whether AP bombs can Over pen that's up to WG but I'd expect it vs Destroyers and other thin skinned ships.

This way I see all CV's still being a large threat to heavy ships even with the reduced bomber numbers ( both in wings and planes )

Second point at Leyte Gulf and many others US fighters often turned their .50 cal guns on ships this was a very common tactic used on all sides, in fact when I first  started on carriers and learned of the Strafe function my first instinct and use of the skill was to strafe a ship after all that's the definition of was strafing is.  Outside of the movie independence day and this games current use of it, it has never been used against flying aircraft so is very historically inaccurate. 

So turning it into something used on ships vs airplanes should be done.  But then there is the question of what should it do. 

Well the first thing it would do is cause system shocks and damage to things like AA and torpedo tubes many of these systems were manned by unprotected personal which systems is up to WG but I'd leave and the enclosed heavy armoured AA and not affected and the 20 mm cannons with a guy standing in the open are fair game though.  The second thing .50 can and do punch through light armour plate like superstructures or light deck plating, which means they would be a threat to light cruisers and destroyers with thin armour even unarmoured carrier decks as well.  So in short I see then as stunning systems on deck and doing minor damage to thin armour sections on the ships. 

This in my opinion would give the fighter mod carriers a reason to risk their fighters as a means to provide cover for their bombers.  And in the case of that pesky Destroyer or sneaky light cruiser, a way of hurting him instead of just feeding him fighter kills while spotting for other guns.

So what's your opinion of this.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

IIRC the HE bombs that DBs drop already have AP bomb stats. It's the best of both worlds.

Allowing strafe to damage modules without dealing HP damage would be a pretty neat way to allow fighters to affect the battlefield.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

IIRC the HE bombs that DBs drop already have AP bomb stats. It's the best of both worlds.

Allowing strafe to damage modules without dealing HP damage would be a pretty neat way to allow fighters to affect the battlefield.

Wouldn't AP bombs have better pen and a chance to reach the citadel? A 10k bomb hit would be scary :ohmy:

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

Sounds good, but it would need to be rather obvious or have some kind of countermeasure. Currently, torps can be dodged, and Defensive AA fire makes DBs almost useless. Also, it would need to deal very little HP damage, but a high chance of knocking out surface modules. (Maybe knock out radar stuff?)

Members
6 posts
2,044 battles

Sounds good, but it would need to be rather obvious or have some kind of countermeasure. Currently, torps can be dodged, and Defensive AA fire makes DBs almost useless. Also, it would need to deal very little HP damage, but a high chance of knocking out surface modules. (Maybe knock out radar stuff?)

Well that's the idea of strafe vs BB and heavy cruisers, .50 only could punch through about 1 inch (25mm) so it would only take superstructure hp on heavy ships if at all ( 30 mm armour or higher, no pen no damage ​) but like torpedoes its still able to be dodged a bit as like it is now but you set the run the same way you do torpedoes but you want to strafe the length to do max incapacitation's and or damage. Strafing across the ship wouldn't so as much.

Members
6 posts
2,044 battles

Wouldn't AP bombs have better pen and a chance to reach the citadel? A 10k bomb hit would be scary :ohmy:

​I'd expect the bombs both HE and AP to be rebalanced to take this into account.  After all if one is just that much better then we would have the same problem as we do now but in reverse

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
6,263 battles

Another possible effect of the strafe skill in conjunction with this might be some suppresssion of the target ship's AA similar to the Defensive Fire panick of strike squadrons.

Tweaked right, I think it could work without being OP - but I'm willing to allow that I might be wrong. 

[GLHF]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,562 battles

Give to straffe missiles (at high tiers) or someting to damage modules/make damage in ships looks a rly good ideia. Thats can make fighters more usefull and fun to play.

AP bombs too. 

Beta Testers
13 posts
1,554 battles

Give to straffe missiles (at high tiers) or someting to damage modules/make damage in ships looks a rly good ideia. Thats can make fighters more usefull and fun to play.

AP bombs too. 

Maybe instead of missiles/rockets why not give them bombs. Cause if I not mistaken a lot of carrier borne fighters are multi-role aircraft. So they could equip bombs, like US fighters getting 2x50lb bombs and IJN getting 2x65kg bombs. These would only be HE doing very little damage (like maybe at the most 100hp). But are good at damaging modules (secondaries, AAA, radar, ect).

They could make it so that the manual aim with the bomb attached work like the DB aim, but less accurate with a wider dispersion. If the fighters attack another air group, they lose the bombs and the manual aim turns back into strafing. Then you would have to rearm them in order to get the bombs back.

And AP bombs for DB.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

Maybe instead of missiles/rockets why not give them bombs. Cause if I not mistaken a lot of carrier borne fighters are multi-role aircraft. So they could equip bombs, like US fighters getting 2x50lb bombs and IJN getting 2x65kg bombs. These would only be HE doing very little damage (like maybe at the most 100hp). But are good at damaging modules (secondaries, AAA, radar, ect).

Realistically speaking, fighters such as the F-6F5 were able to carry 2x 1000lb bombs and 12x (6 per wing) underwing-HVAR rockets. That would probably do more damage than even dive bombers were capable of doing.

Beta Testers
13 posts
1,554 battles

Realistically speaking, fighters such as the F-6F5 were able to carry 2x 1000lb bombs and 12x (6 per wing) underwing-HVAR rockets. That would probably do more damage than even dive bombers were capable of doing.

Yeah that why I went with the smaller bomb, so that DB are still viable. I know of US fighter possible loadouts, IJN is where I'm a lacking.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

Yeah that why I went with the smaller bomb, so that DB are still viable. I know of US fighter possible loadouts, IJN is where I'm a lacking.

On the other hand, a 50kg bomb is puny. It would probably do less than 50 damage to a warship, max. Some tanks can shrug-off hits from 50kg bombs.

Sign in to follow this