Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Better player with Lag?

2 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

I have a temporary condition where I must use a slower connection to play WOWS.  I get lag a lot.  I thought this would be bad for my game play.  I play BB mostly, which is the least affected by lag.  I still play some CAs and DDs, but these ships usually require quick maneuvers and well timed shots.

Ever since I began playing on a laggy system I think my stats have improved.  Go figure. 

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

Members
449 posts

I'm willing to believe it. Since I first started competitive online gaming back in the 1990s, lag has been the bane of all gamers. So much so that some game developers implemented attempts to fix the disparity (which was worse back then) between players who had anywhere from 20ms ping (low ping bastard, or LPB as they were called, typically on their college ISDN) and the player typically averaging 300ms, sometimes more (high ping bastard, or HPB as they were called, typically on 14.4k or 56k dial-up modems). 

Used to be that just one person lagging in a game would lag everyone on that game server, the reason game developers spent so much time trying to find a way to improve things. One method was to attempt to put everyone on the same level playing field by having the server factor in lag and fudge things towards the lagging player to make it appear they were keeping up with gameplay. But then that led to allegations of rampant cheating when you'd round a corner in Quake II and see another player, attempt to fire, but suddenly are dead due to a rocket to the fact, all the while your rocket appears to carry on and hit the other player, but for no damage since the game server was hard pressed to keep up with the flow at times and often what you saw was flashback sequences of you thinking is real-time but actually got presented with a rocket image to the face instead of a frag on the other player.

I cannot count how many times I died that way, lol, it was pretty poorly implemented in some games early on. Then the modding that was allowed in many of those early games just compounded the problem exponentially.

I think Wargaming must use a hybrid system that only shows you what they want you to see in order to make it appear everyone is playing in real-time. Basically an illusion. However, such a system, regardless of the system used, invariably tilts the balance towards one or the other set of players in the game/match. In a naked game with no such system, lowest ping wins, always. In a modified, or hybrid system, it's not surprising to see high-ping players kicking everyone's butt.

Sign in to follow this