You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Citrusss

Strike float plane

13 comments in this topic

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

The question here is, would that ever be useful? From my experience trying to hit things with a single DB or a single TB, it almost never works. 

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

The question here is, would that ever be useful? From my experience trying to hit things with a single DB or a single TB, it almost never works. 

at least make the target change it's direction and show broadside :)

and unicorn cavalry while your at it?

YES! YES! THIS!!!

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,141 battles

Did such a thing ever exist in real life?

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

torpedo bomber float planes? no, i don't think so.

but. they could carry bombs. and sometimes did in real operations. most of those cases included depth bombs for taking out those things which will not be named. but they also carried some light bombs. i don't know the extent of which they were used.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

I suspect the Tone will be the first ship to feature dive bomber float planes, and if successful could pave the way for other hybrids like the CAV Mogami and BBV Ise.

There were even aviation conversion proposals for the Iowa-class. (not that this would be likely to see in-game)

KRL4y3Z.jpg

Members
2,632 posts
10,276 battles

Not torpedo bomber floatplanes that I'm aware of, but some wartime floatplanes could carry small bombs. The Japanese had two that I am aware of: the Zuiun which saw service on BBVs Ise and Hyuuga, and the Seiran that was developed for the I-400 subs. Germany's Arado Ar 196 that you see as the scout for German BBs could carry bombs, as could the USN's Kingfisher. Not big bombs, mind you; they won't be competing with the 1000lb monsters USN carriers get at Lexington, but bombs nonetheless.
Edited by PelicanHazard

[RGB-1]
Members
92 posts
21,361 battles

Great idea. Sound like a lot of fun. How about a sneaky DD getting the torpedo right up the exhaust pipe. Floater SS - Super Sneaky. New game slang statement: Floater got me. This is a game and does not need to be base 100% on ancient history. This would add more fun to the game. Floater please.

[GAMMA]
Members
909 posts
18,341 battles

Actually yes. The British developed float-torpedo bombers during WWI which they operated from a number of options including float-plane carriers (usually conversions). There are even recorded instances where these bombers actually sank something, though to be fair it was just Ottoman merchant shipping supporting their troops in the Gallipoli campaign. In addition the British had float-bombers which used more conventional bombs as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_bomber#First_torpedo_bombers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_carrier#Origins

That said, unless Wargaming wants to introduce float-plane carriers into the game as tier 2 or 3 carriers, I don't think this is a very practical idea since the chances of hitting anything with a single torpedo are very low and the chances of doing significant damage with the sorts of bomb loads a single float-plane could carry are also very low.

Edited by jkirschy