Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_von_Nuben

Bismarck Grind: Fun Despite the Losses

5 comments in this topic

Members
373 posts
5,398 battles

I finished up my Bismarck grind today.  I managed it in 32 games because of flags and special camo, with 71,558 average damage.  I sunk 42 ships and got sunk 16 times.  Main battery hit rate was 32%.  There were a couple garbage games (usually Tier 10 games where our/their DDs did all the work) that pulled down the average damage.  I had quite a few 100k plus games.

Interestingly, though, I only won 12 of the 32, for a terrible 38% win rate. The 100k plus games were all losses.  I lost my first seven games straight.

Nonetheless, I didn't feel like I did too badly, since the Bismarck is one of the most fun ships I have ever played.  The secondaries are just so enjoyable to use, and it's been the first BB I've ever played that can confidently close in on DDs because of hydro.  

For most of the games I ran main battery mod, although for a couple I did the pure secondary build.  I found the results with the secondary mod disappointing for two reasons: (1) Sub-10km fights are not as common in high tier games as they are under Tier 8; and (2) using the secondary mod resulted in main battery dispersion that allowed broadside cruisers to largely escape being citadeled, even below 10km.  This was unacceptable to me.  The main battery mod allowed me to get bigger main battery hits at more diverse ranges.  As awesome as the Bismarck secondaries are, you are still going to do the lion's share of your damage with main guns.  So I found buffing them was the more effective choice overall. 

My other equipment was main battery durability, damage control mod 1, rudder shift mod, concealment expert.  My captain had 18 points, with BFT, BoS, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, AFT and Manual secondary control.

Maybe it was luck of the draw, but I felt that I was fighting DDs more than any other class during my grind.  Despite all the talk of BB overpopulation, my games were filled with--and usually decided by--DDs and DD play.  BBs just benefited from whatever the DDs did (or did not) do.  I felt obligated to help in the initial DDs fights on caps as much as I could.  I sank quite a few DDs doing this, but it's possible my aggression brought my win rate down.  I really have no idea.  

Still, I highly recommend the Bismarck.  I'm sure others will do much better than I did.  When you have support, this ship can do amazing things when aggressive.

I played all solo, so I'm pretty sure that had its role to play, too.  Usually if I pull 70k plus average in a T8, I can count on better than a 50% winrate.  But for one reason or another, I just didn't get that result for this fantastic ship.

Also, of my 32 games, 7 were Tier 8 games.  The rest were 9s and 10s.

Edited by General_von_Falkenhayn
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,712 posts
26,569 battles

It's definitely a keeper, and a candidate for my favorite boat in the game.

Members
652 posts
13,807 battles

It's definitely a keeper, and a candidate for my favorite boat in the game.

Fletcher will always be #1 in my books

Sign in to follow this