You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
E4gleEye

Fuso or New Mexico for T6 ranked?

37 comments in this topic

Members
95 posts
3,767 battles

Hi guys, I know that Bayern is currently the favourite for T6 BBs, but I haven't got one yet so I need to choose between these two. If I read previous threads it seems that Fuso hold the edge because of its mobility, but I read the polls and it seems that New Mexico hold the edge at the moment? Any changes that I am not aware? I ask this now because I need to sell 1 of these BBs to free up port slot so that I can climb the Germany BB line (and utilize this weekend's discount) and maybe get Bayern by the time ranked rolls around...

Here's how I've been doing with both, while it seems that I clearly do better on the NM, it should also be noted that Fuso was my first T6 ship while NM was obtained a bit later so I understand the T6 meta better when I obtained NM:

Fuso vs NM.jpg

Fuso vs NM.jpg

Edited by E4gleEye

Beta Testers
1,776 posts
1,592 battles

Dunkerque.

In all seriousness, New Mexico is awful with the introduction of German Battleships. If you have an Arizona I would just stick to that, but otherwise get a Bayern, Warspite, or Fuso.

Edited by DokturProfesur
  • Cool 1

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

Dunkerque.

^this

But both ships are great choices.

Both have same gun caliber and number, but New Mex.'s shots tend to be more closed then the shotgun of Fuso.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,053 posts
23,896 battles

Between those two, I would go with New Mexico. It's a fun ship to brawl in, imo. Whatever you decide, I hope it turns out well for ya!

Am

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

US BB line has become non-competitive with German BB's out and around. The real BB crush has passed, and it was pretty easy to get to the Gnies in a week or so.

[REVY]
Members
9,646 posts
7,316 battles

I'd stay away from the Bayern for ranked.  It's a ship that is more at the mercy of RNG then other ships, since it's armor wont stop penetrations and it's guns have massive dispersion.  If you have the skill, use the Fuso.  

[B3ERS]
Beta Testers
813 posts
10,292 battles

I prefer fuso, because angling, and you can simply stay out of range of a New mexico or Bayern. Also I disagree with many people. I personally hate the Bayern, and was thanking god earlier today when I finally got the tier 7 and sold the Bayern.

Members
571 posts
4,688 battles

i still prefer my New Mex, she may no longer be as good as she was back in the day's when it was just IJN vs USN but damn it she still go it in her cause her armor is still tough as nails and the 14 inch guns are not to be taken lightly even if your german

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

ranked is all about closer fight. if you snipe, you lose.      bayern's advantage is smaller size,  agility and  toughness with reasonable speed.     its strong in its 10-12km range and you can do well with it.   NM can  out dpm it, but    not out brawl it.      for me, I prefer bayern over NM, eventhough I have had similar stat between the two ship recently.     Ikept bayern while I sold NM when i got to colorado.  I hate slow ships.    Fuso is still strong, but may be not as strong in ranked.  Az can do well though.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

I'd stay away from the Bayern for ranked.  It's a ship that is more at the mercy of RNG then other ships, since it's armor wont stop penetrations and it's guns have massive dispersion.  If you have the skill, use the Fuso.  

Ironically, my Bayern has one of my best overall main battery hit percentage any of my BBs.  I am rocking 32% hit with my main battery.  Then again unlike most BB captains I tend to push forward into the 8-10km ranges or sometimes closer which is probably why I am hitting more with this ship.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Bayern blows at range, but its armor is forgiving, it has good concealment and turrets that turn fast enough, so it's really a close in fighter.

and being closer, unless you are just really bad, means more hits on target.

Edited by MrDeaf

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Looking at T6 battleships for Ranked, I'd stack them as follows (in the order of descending pleasure to see them on my team):

Arizona > Bayern > New Mexico > Fuso > Warspite > Dunkerque

Note that this is not the same for Random. Ranked tends to devolve into brawling (at least in the second half), which is why for example Fuso doesn't rank as high for me as she otherwise would. Same for Dunkerque and Warspite as they're too soft and the characteristics of their turrets are unfit for dynamic brawling.

Beta Testers
1,776 posts
1,592 battles

I think Dunkerque will be at the top of the pile. Her speed and the fact she can shrug off the main batteries from the Fuso and New Mexico speak volumes to me.

[HELLS]
Members
2,969 posts
39,872 battles

New Mexico. A brawler with good long-range shot dispersion. As tough as Warspite or Arizona (I have both). Guns better range-wise than Warspite, but slightly short of Arizona's reach (same guns and turrets in real life but that is WoWs). Better AA than both of them when upgraded, and the upgrades are worth every XP research point and credit. One of my best ships.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

New Mexico. A brawler with good long-range shot dispersion. As tough as Warspite or Arizona (I have both). Guns better range-wise than Warspite, but slightly short of Arizona's reach (same guns and turrets in real life but that is WoWs). Better AA than both of them when upgraded, and the upgrades are worth every XP research point and credit. One of my best ships.

Pretty sure New Mex historically had 14"/50s and Arizona had 14"/45s. This is reflected in game and New Mexico has better punch with her shells.

Anyway, personally I say New Mexico. I find in those t6 battles, aggression wins more than standing off and taking pot shots at stuff. New Mexico is a better aggressor battleship that Fuso, and a lot tougher. She also has, IMO, better ability to utilize her firepower, and much stronger AA. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,776 posts
1,592 battles

Pretty sure New Mex historically had 14"/50s and Arizona had 14"/45s. This is reflected in game and New Mexico has better punch with her shells.

Anyway, personally I say New Mexico. I find in those t6 battles, aggression wins more than standing off and taking pot shots at stuff. New Mexico is a better aggressor battleship that Fuso, and a lot tougher. She also has, IMO, better ability to utilize her firepower, and much stronger AA. 

Honestly I found her guns and unreliable dispersion totally inadequate against the Bayern.

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,602 battles

The Arizona has the advantage over the NewMex of being a premium, and being able to put another captain into her without retraining.  Hey, if you already have an excellent captain in your New Mex, that's cool.  But if you don't, it's nice to be able to move one from another ship without having to pay the 500 gold.

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

For me, my hierarchy would be:

Fuso - Arizona - Bayern - Warspite - Dunkerque - New Mexico

Slow ships are terrible in ranked.  The thing that makes the Arizona the exception to that rule is her gun range and accuracy.  

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

Honestly I found her guns and unreliable dispersion totally inadequate against the Bayern.

I wouldn't know. I haven't had many encounters with Bayern. BB dispersion also basically doesn't bother me. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
324 posts
4,905 battles

Haven't played the Fuso so cannot compare directly, but I can tell you the New Mex is a beast of a ship for its tier. Very tanky and relatively difficult to kill and the dispersion is better than the tiers above and below. I've been grinding up the US BB line of late and every ship has been sold to pay for the new one, but I've kept the New Mexico, if that tells you anything. 

Members
95 posts
3,767 battles

At those ranks, the ships you use don't matter anywhere as much as player skill.

Of course, I won't be going to the T8 bracket as I lack the ships for them so you guys can breathe easy knowing that this potato won't be ruining games there (probably, there's that remote chance I will manage to get Benson researched by then... If so, be very afraid!). Still I will take any edge I can take on the lower brackets!

I am currently leaning a TINY bit toward New Mexico because I don't plan on climbing the USN BB line further in the near future while I will move my Fuso captain to the Nagato this weekend (discount yay!). It means that the Fuso will be getting into ranked with something like a 3-skill captain compared to a 4-skill captain on NM. Less effort for me too as I don't need to grind a new captain. Decisons-decisions...

Edited by E4gleEye

[GUTS]
Beta Testers
471 posts
10,453 battles

Between the Fuso and the New Mexico, I think I'd lean to the New Mexico.  They are both great, but I can bring more firepower to bear while remaing neutral to the enemy.  Fuso's turret placement requires more broadside exposure to bring all guns to bear.  And New Mexico can swing her rear end out and back faster to reduce exposure.

Now out of what I have in my port, I'll probably go first with Arizona, 2nd Dunkurqe, and throw Bayern to at least see how she does.  If next ranked play tops out at tier 6, there are just too many BB's to choose from.