Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
urk_the_red

What are your thoughts on radar in ranked?

31 comments in this topic

[-N-]
Members
246 posts
6,727 battles

When it comes to selecting a CA for ranked, it seems that Atago or Kutozov are the consensus choice, with Mogami and Hipper filling out the second tier. (Feel free to provide input on those placements.) I haven't heard anyone make a strong case for New Orleans or Chapayev. I'm curious what y'all think of the utility of picking NO or Chappy for the radar. With the smoke heavy, cap-centric, DD heavy playstyle in ranked, it seems to me that being able to get that leg up in cap contests would be a significant advantage. Thoughts? 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,090 posts
30,874 battles

Nobody mentions NOLA because she's simply awful.  Not Baltimore bad, but still awful in her own right.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

[-N-]
Members
246 posts
6,727 battles

Nobody mentions NOLA because she's simply awful.  Not Baltimore bad, but still awful in her own right.

I've noticed, I'm grinding her right now. The only thing that even makes her even partially bearable is using radar to undress a DD. Thing is in ranked you know the first few minutes are cap supremacy and DD duels, and providing an advantage to your team's DDs could make a difference. I wish I knew more about Chapayev, no experience there yet.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Russian CAs have a harder time surviving when the players are smart and try to cut them down ASAP.  That and the Soviet radar doesn't have much utility at T8 becuase of its bad duration.  The American radar, on the other hand, has good duration, but the New Orleans demands a lot of a player to be able to support DDs, even in Random battles.  In Ranked, I have no idea if it will even work.

[-N-]
Members
246 posts
6,727 battles

It may depend too much on the map, how cooperative your team is, or how likely other teams are to focus fire radar ships. If I can get CE before ranked starts I might give it a try at the lower ranks of the grind.

[VIRUS]
Alpha Tester
147 posts
1,853 battles

I know I did really well in mine during season 3. Played it exclusively as I didn't have another tier 8 at the time and I had a 60% win rate and was usually in the top half of the team. That said unless you're really good with it and I mean really damn good I wouldn't advise it for most people.

[COOP]
Members
812 posts
5,604 battles

It could have some viability but if you are going to bring either into a match, you better know how to use your radar while keeping a low profile. Unless it is carefully hidden, a New Orleans with 9km radar range is going to be spotted before it can unmask a DD. The Chapayev's 11.7km set stands a better chance of being able to successfully light up a cap but it has some issues as well. I know a good/great player in these ships could make them work but I am skeptical at this point that the average player can make the upside of radar outweigh the downsides each of these cruisers bring into a match.

Edited by UnseenSpectacle

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

The radar on New Orleans does not provide enough benefit for her numerous downsides. 

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

NOLA has no survivability for ranked play.

Chappy might work, but I think you need CE for it to be serviceable in ranked.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,949 battles

Depends if we get that datamined rudder mod for CAs. It might make a difference for NOLA.

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
33,735 battles

You are assuming there will be cruisers playing. Ranked will likely devolve into the same mess of all DDs and a couple BBs yet again.

I would go with chappy. The duration is short but the 5 DDs in front will quickly kill the targets. Norleans is a horrible ship even in random, worthless in ranked.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Depends if we get that datamined rudder mod for CAs. It might make a difference for NOLA.

if you read it, it goes into the 6th slot, so only T9/10 would get it.

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,581 battles

The problem I see with the New Orleans is that for a radar ship, its ROF is just too slow to take advantage of its own radar.  Arguably, it might have a little better armor than some tier 8 CA's, but that's a highly relative thing and that armor even if a little better, would still not be RELIABLE against BB guns. 

OTOH, you have the Chappy, which has radar and high RoF CL guns, which should be good for killing DD's ... for as long as this squishy ship can last.  Some mention having a CE captain.  While I don't doubt that having a CE captain would matter for longer ranged work, if you're going to use your radar and high RoF guns to kill DD's, you're going to need to be a good deal close and probably close enough that your CE won't matter.  On some maps, a cagey Chappy player might be able to find a good position to set up where he can use his radar and maybe get some shots while avoiding BB fire.  Alternatively, the Chappy player might set up next to an island that's very close to cap and have no shots whatsoever, but be able to use his radar and exploit the fact that (last I knew) radar can see through islands.  He wouldn't be able to take any shots for himself, but he might be in a safe location to spot all the smoked enemy DD's and give his own DD's nice clear shots without exposing his own ship.  Of course, you can only do this once before a long cooldown, so you'd have to come out of the hard cover so that you could make yourself useful.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,949 battles

True. So, no.

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

who needs these pesky radars when you can get Himmler's hydroacoustic with 8 km spotting range and added hitlerium armour and shells?

Edited by Citrusss

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

Tier 8s are the first to get the 6th slot. It currently has the concealment and acquisition upgrades. The last 3 slots are always defensive upgrades while the first 3 (as seen on T9/10) are offensive upgrades.

CE on Chappy is a little more relevant as your detection range is about the range your radar works at. If you're spotted by a DD or stealthier CA, radar will very likely pick them up. Less guessing means less wasted radars. Plus, radar cooldown is already buffed from its original giant cooldown.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Tier 8s are the first to get the 6th slot. It currently has the concealment and acquisition upgrades. The last 3 slots are always defensive upgrades while the first 3 (as seen on T9/10) are offensive upgrades.

CE on Chappy is a little more relevant as your detection range is about the range your radar works at. If you're spotted by a DD or stealthier CA, radar will very likely pick them up. Less guessing means less wasted radars. Plus, radar cooldown is already buffed from its original giant cooldown.

T8 gets the 5th slot (6th), but this is shared with CSM1 and TAM1

T9/10 gets the 6th slot (3rd), but this is shared with MBM1, GFCSM1, AAM3 and such.

[-N-]
Members
246 posts
6,727 battles

who needs these pesky radars when you can get Himmler's hydroacoustic with 8 km spotting range and added hitlerium armour and shells?

Is that 8km base? Or 8km with acquisition mod? I'm brand new to the Hipper. That does sound like a good alternative.

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

The Hipper/Eugen are absolute trash.  New Orleans would be a much better choice.  She's actually a pretty tough ship and with radar, is much more attractive than the Mogami.  

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Is that 8km base? Or 8km with acquisition mod? I'm brand new to the Hipper. That does sound like a good alternative.

I think he's joking

Target Acquisition mod and Vigilance does not stack with Hydro.

There's no way you get 8km acquisition range in any of them... although it would be nice if they did.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Considering the cruisers they will be on, bout worthless.

Right, I think it serves your team better to be a BB, a DD or an Atago/Kutuzov than any of the weaker cruisers that carry the radar. A consumable that can be activated every once in a while doesn't fully counter 24/7 concealment on a destroyer, it only sort of counters smoke due to its similar intermittent nature. I expect Ranked to be World of Bensons again for most people who know what's good for them.

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

Just checked in game. It is actually 5.58 km for hydro for ships aqcuisition on them. I think I messed up range with higher teirs

The Hipper/Eugen are absolute trash.  New Orleans would be a much better choice.  She's actually a pretty tough ship and with radar, is much more attractive than the Mogami.  

Hipper/Eugen have better armour than NO, have torps, better AP shells, better arcs and hydro lasts minutes and detects torps too. And of course, there is statistics: https://na.warships.today/vehicle/4280203248/New%20Orleans

Even in Ranked on s01-03 Hipper did better than NO 

I think he's joking

Target Acquisition mod and Vigilance does not stack with Hydro.

There's no way you get 8km acquisition range in any of them... although it would be nice if they did.

5.58 km, still good :) plus 3.84 km for torps spotting and lasts almost 2 minutes, not 30 seconds. 

Edited by Citrusss

Sign in to follow this