Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Robert_Whitney

Hi All

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
611 posts
2,887 battles

Hi everyone! I never officially introduced myself, I have been somewhat active for over a year and half now, and have realized something about myself in this community as of late.

Just a few things about myself, I am a University Student, with a passion for military history and foreign policy. I also like to make model warships, and have made to date: Massachusetts, Scharnhorst, Enterprise, Kongo, Atago, Fletcher, Tirpitz.... I've got plans to make a big 1/350th scale Yamato :)

In this game, I am a bit of a wallet warrior, I guess that's why I've got over 1500 battles and still no tier 10. I started out as a CA main, but that has changed and now I am best in DD's and BB's. I am active in the clan scene, and a member of the Fog Community. I really like the community in this game, yeah there are some bad apples here and there but it's the internet, that's how it is.

I am in to anime and historical documentaries. One of my hobbies is going through and looking at everyone's profile avatar, they are all so good.

Now to the serious part of this. I started looking at this forum when I wanted to figure out how to get into the Closed Beta, it has been over a year and a half. I've seen some really interesting changes in the game, and I've seen some nasty forum fights. It seems that this community argues about any and all nerfs or buffs, and I find myself becoming increasingly isolated in my point of view, so let me say this here.

- There is not a single ship over tier 4 that I have come to dislike. (tier 1-3 is supposed to suck)

- I liked the furutaka pre-pre-buff.

- I am not looking forward to the Izumo but that is more looks than anything, I am sure it is a fine ship in its own way.

These points really get at what I am trying to say here, every ship in game has a play style suited to it, and not everyone gets it. We should stop asking how ships preform on average, and start asking ourselves, how do players who love the ship they play make it preform well? Some ships are not for everyone, I happen to hate CV's, its nothing personal, I actually loved playing the Hosho, but the play style doesn't suit me. People yell "CV's need a Buff! DD's need a Nerf! BBs need a buff! CAs need a Buff!" Am I the only one here who thinks that game balance is perfect right now? I am seriously asking. Tell me if you agree, because this point is never represented on the forums. If you don't agree with my statement, ask yourself if you are playing your ship to the best of IT'S ability. Cruisers get killed to easily, ask yourself, whether or not the battleship made a good shot and you were in a compromised position. DDs are too strong! Have you played DDs? Have you tried understanding when a DD strikes and the kind of situations you may want to try and avoid? BBs cant defend themselves from carriers! Have you tried staying near your team mates, double up your aa?

Every time I do poorly in WOWS it is because of my fault and my fault alone. The game mechanics and balance are perfect. Please tell me, am I the only one who feels this way?          

Beta Testers
1,466 posts
7,025 battles

well, welcome to the community (i think)

i have more than 2000 battles and i havent made it to tier 9 (although i am at tier 8 at every tree and every line except the newer ones and usn cvs). i also play a lot of premium, although i dont spend money in this game, all of my premium ships i earned and i play them to train my captains (except the arkansas, i play to seal club)

my avatar is best avatar, just saying

Every time I do poorly in WOWS it is because of my fault and my fault alone. The game mechanics and balance are perfect. Please tell me, am I the only one who feels this way?          

yes, because theyre not lel. theres no game 100% balanced, and wargaming has a historical russian bias, so new russian ships get released, people state the obvious, wargaming says its nonsense only to nerf them a couple patches later

Beta Testers
611 posts
2,887 battles

well, welcome to the community (i think)

i have more than 2000 battles and i havent made it to tier 9 (although i am at tier 8 at every tree and every line except the newer ones and usn cvs). i also play a lot of premium, although i dont spend money in this game, all of my premium ships i earned and i play them to train my captains (except the arkansas, i play to seal club)

my avatar is best avatar, just saying

yes, because theyre not lel. theres no game 100% balanced, and wargaming has a historical russian bias, so new russian ships get released, people state the obvious, wargaming says its nonsense only to nerf them a couple patches later

The only Russian Ship that I think had Russian Bias was the Nikolai and I don' think that was intended.

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

While saying 'game balance is perfect' is obviously incorrect, you will certainly have more positive gains looking critically at your performance and improving your play will be much more effective than asking for ships to be buffed or nerfed simply because you do bad in them or they are harder to do well in. In such a large and complex game, the only way to achieve true balance is to eliminate uniqueness. At the end of the day, it's the player that makes the ship.

[5D5]
Members
1,664 posts
10,933 battles

While saying 'game balance is perfect' is obviously incorrect, you will certainly have more positive gains looking critically at your performance and improving your play will be much more effective than asking for ships to be buffed or nerfed simply because you do bad in them or they are harder to do well in. In such a large and complex game, the only way to achieve true balance is to eliminate uniqueness. At the end of the day, it's the player that makes the ship.

^^^ This sums it up best for me. 

Also, I get tired of all the "russian-bias" name calling, those are just nationalistic haters.  They have their favorite nation, and want those ships to be the best.

WG has an interest in keeping the largest player base happy with the game, so they release ships based on those countries. It's why the Anshan and Lo Yang even exist, there's a lot of players in Asia.

And, while I do like Anime, I think my Avatar is pretty cool.. (for a photo)

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Cruisers get killed to easily, ask yourself, whether or not the battleship made a good shot and you were in a compromised position. DDs are too strong! Have you played DDs? Have you tried understanding when a DD strikes and the kind of situations you may want to try and avoid? BBs cant defend themselves from carriers! Have you tried staying near your team mates, double up your aa?

This. Just like in any game I've ever been invested in, I play every class because the best way to counter (or couch in, say, raid leading) is to play every class. Cruisers get killed easily, yes, but as a BB driver let me just say that a cruiser playing smart and setting me on fire is my worst enemy. I'd rather 1v2 other battleships than have some cruiser I can't shoot lobbing fire over cover or shooting from stealth. Meanwhile, when I see a cruiser sailing broadside to me, all I think is "Mmmm food." Want to counter CVs? Play a CV and learn what you hate to see your target do. Then do that when you're the target of a CV. Find great ambush points on a map while playing DD? Don't blunder into those points when you aren't playing a DD. 

Anyway, nice to see another KanColle and anime fan, especially one with a generally positive attitude toward individual ship capability. Sometimes I feel like my general lack of negativity is little weird. :P

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
611 posts
2,887 battles

This. Just like in any game I've ever been invested in, I play every class because the best way to counter (or couch in, say, raid leading) is to play every class. Cruisers get killed easily, yes, but as a BB driver let me just say that a cruiser playing smart and setting me on fire is my worst enemy. I'd rather 1v2 other battleships than have some cruiser I can't shoot lobbing fire over cover or shooting from stealth. Meanwhile, when I see a cruiser sailing broadside to me, all I think is "Mmmm food." Want to counter CVs? Play a CV and learn what you hate to see your target do. Then do that when you're the target of a CV. Find great ambush points on a map while playing DD? Don't blunder into those points when you aren't playing a DD. 

Anyway, nice to see another KanColle and anime fan, especially one with a generally positive attitude toward individual ship capability. Sometimes I feel like my general lack of negativity is little weird. :P

Thank you

Welcome aboard Nano-desu!

:honoring:

Sign in to follow this