Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dannyboy1939

CL/CA Team Numbers And You

15 comments in this topic

[M-B]
[M-B]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
212 posts
11,821 battles

I can't seem to get battles where Cruisers are the majority anymore, it always gives me 5 BBs vs 3 DDs and 1 CV on average in Tier 4+... that leaves 3 slots for CL/CAs to be nice BB citadel targets while trying to hit those pesky torp slingers and defend from those mosquitoes in the sky. I know there are the odd games where you get an equal amount of cruisers or in rare cases more then the other classes, but these days it feels like I'm just here to get focus fired from the BBs to return to port and let the BBs and DDs duke it out, while whoever has the jump on the CV first has eyes when said red/green CV is defeated or have that one extra DD doing the same.

On the flip side, prior to MM changes BB's were usually 3 per side, getting hammered hard by a pack of CL/CAs with HE until they burned to the ground or one of the DD/CVs put a few torps into your side to end you, or being the DD vs said pack.

Either way I'm not sure if I'm adapting poorly to the new changes in the MM, while there are some aspects I do like about it, I'm starting to dislike the changes to the team numbers. I wouldn't say this is a rant, more of a general discussion along the lines of do you other cruiser drivers out there feel the difference? Does it feel like a good change in average team numbers? Was less overall cruiser numbers good for you? Is it just me?

:hmm:

The events have impacted it a little bit, but prior to that when the MM patch came out it was pretty much the same as it is now, anyway prove me wrong, give your 2 cents, but I'd like to hear your cruiser captain opinions even if I am late to the party.

[KMS]
4,044 posts

Cruiser play is the hardest and weakest on NA.  There are good Cruiser players.  Just like you said.  4 BB on the other team focusing on the Cruiser player, there is nothing they can do.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,310 battles

For a while I thought it was because of the recent release of the German BB line, but that is getting to be a ways back and I am also NOT seeing a decrease in the number of BB's in the game, which I expected to by this time. I am starting to believe now it is because the nerfs have screwed the game up so badly that BB's are the only type of ship new players can quickly become successful in. Look at the picture; Carriers have been screwed up since their introduction, and have become progressively worse with each patch. Now they are either IJN anti-ship weapons scared to death of USN carriers with anti-air package, or they are USN carriers making no credits or XP running AA loadouts. Destroyers, especially the IJN but also both USN and Russian fleets, have had their torpedos nerfed to the point of uselessness (in fairness US and Russian DD's had their torps nerfed from the beginning in that they never got torps that could fire from stealth in the lower tiers.)  So  cruisers now have less targets to chase and more targets to run from so how much fun is it for the players of these three classes of ships? If the current trends towards unmitigated nerfing of any armament but guns and the refusal to consider any legitimate carrier fix continue, WoW might as well start including bots in random matches to "fill out" all the classes of ships they have nerfed into uselessness, or just change the name to "World of Battleships"

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,654 posts
10,699 battles

Cruisers are a hard class to play, too slow to really chase DDs and too weak to take on BBs. I do well enough in cruisers and my strat typically involves hiding in a pack of friendly ships and setting fires on everything. I just set one fire and then move on to the next enemy ship. Smart BB players allow 1 fire to burn so I never set more than 1 intentionally. If its a bad BB player or other also add fires and the guy repairs I wait for the repair to run out and I put more fires on the poor sucker. Usually I can keep at least 2-3 ships on fire at the same time depending on who's facing me.

[M-B]
[M-B]
212 posts
11,821 battles

For a while I thought it was because of the recent release of the German BB line, but that is getting to be a ways back and I am also NOT seeing a decrease in the number of BB's in the game, which I expected to by this time. I am starting to believe now it is because the nerfs have screwed the game up so badly that BB's are the only type of ship new players can quickly become successful in. Look at the picture; Carriers have been screwed up since their introduction, and have become progressively worse with each patch. Now they are either IJN anti-ship weapons scared to death of USN carriers with anti-air package, or they are USN carriers making no credits or XP running AA loadouts. Destroyers, especially the IJN but also both USN and Russian fleets, have had their torpedos nerfed to the point of uselessness (in fairness US and Russian DD's had their torps nerfed from the beginning in that they never got torps that could fire from stealth in the lower tiers.)  So  cruisers now have less targets to chase and more targets to run from so how much fun is it for the players of these three classes of ships? If the current trends towards unmitigated nerfing of any armament but guns and the refusal to consider any legitimate carrier fix continue, WoW might as well start including bots in random matches to "fill out" all the classes of ships they have nerfed into uselessness, or just change the name to "World of Battleships"

Never have a shortage of running out of DD targets as their numbers seem to be 4 on average vs 3 cruisers on each side, unless you get the matches with 2 CVs then you get one less DD to shoot at, it's just living long enough to get to kill those targets or counter their abilities that I can't seem to do as effectively as before. Sure I can rush a DD in smoke and pop my hydro/radar, but that requires getting close and that is the worst thing currently as the BBs see you and go "free food everyone."

The German line is one reason I didn't bother posting when MM changes came, I knew there would be a LOT of them, they have since petered off but it is still 5v5 BBs on each team, so that hope of it "calming down and going back to normal" went out the window a while ago. Though I am sure once the RN CL line is in we'll see an influx in cruisers again, but will it remain the standard 3 per team? or will we finally see the majority being CL/CAs again for a while?

I know WG is trying to find a balance, and this MM will probably change down the road as well, it just concerns me why the multirole workhorse was reduced to what it currently is now.

EDIT:Kevik70 I always found them hard as well, jack of all trades master of none, but it feels they have gotten even harder to the point they don't perform their role as DD support near the caps as second line between DDs and BBs. They can but usually end up dead early on if supporting the DDs fighting over the cap circles. I find myself being more the last line behind the DDs and BBs and hoping the BBs push toward a point so I can continue the DD hunt while annoying the odd BB with fire.

Edited by dannyboy1939

Beta Testers
412 posts
1,415 battles

for some reason i do above average with cruisers but im doing really good with the omaha and I'm picking up steam with the Cleveland.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

1.  KM Battleships are new, hot, ready, and willing to charge in and HE/AP spam everything.

2.  No dedicated line of superheavy cruisers/battlecruisers that can do some of a cruiser's duties while having the guns to punch back with (or armor to tank hard with).

3.  No buffs to cruisers since the addition of Radar.  IJN cruisers don't get long-range single-fire torpedoes as alternate choices and USN cruisers don't get an RoF-buffing consumable and a bit more range.  KM cruisers and RN cruisers more fragile than the former two cruiser lines, though they have the flat arcs and RoF to make it work with AP and HE.

Among a few other things.

I do still play cruisers though; I just travel with teammates in battleships more often so that I can use them as a distraction.

[-KIA-]
Members
5,244 posts
16,371 battles

Cruiser play is the hardest and weakest on NA.  There are good Cruiser players.  Just like you said.  4 BB on the other team focusing on the Cruiser player, there is nothing they can do.

Heh, not for my Moskva.

[M-B]
[M-B]
212 posts
11,821 battles

I have 0 input on Tier 10 as I stopped at 8. While I do see those tiers I don't have experience playing as one, so only observations. As Yamato says I find myself driving a cruiser more like a better mobile battleship then when I used to take positions between the DDs capping and the BBs in the back, trying to support the DDs capping and fighting the other DDs then work on whatever came into range after the DDs pulled back or yoloed.

As for Battlecruisers, I do find myself being able to take the cruiser role I used to in things like Ishizuchi and Dunkerque, behind the DD push and a little forward of the BB line. While the reloads aren't optimal for killing DDs it does the trick, and I have the AP/HE to deal some nice damage to the BBs and take a good chunk off of the few cruisers around while having enough armour I can sometimes get away with a bad move. Could be BB players have just gotten better overall and I notice it more by sinking after a few salvos instead of the 5v5 team number change....

[DO-IT]
Beta Testers
130 posts

Wait for the German BB line grind to calm down for a few weeks before they consider any changes. For the average player (myself) cruisers are pretty hard to play so there might be something at work here.  There are others that make a cruiser completely broken

[CK5]
Members
1,931 posts
23,447 battles

It has become much more difficult for a cruiser.  There are a lot of good DD players out there who have quickly figured out that they just have to spot a CA and four or five trailing BBs instantly rain shells on the poor CA.  Cruisers simply can't be as aggressive chasing down DDs because of all the supporting BBs behind them.  I still like to play cruisers but I tend to hang back a little more and go after DDs that outrun their support and then try to rain HE on BBs from long range.  It isn't as much fun but if I want to stay alive most of the match it is the only choice I have.  

Edited by PrairiePlayer

[M-B]
[M-B]
212 posts
11,821 battles

I'm not in favour of reverting/changing MM Team numbers just yet either, more to get a sense of others opinions on a relatively new MM change before saying it needs to change and the knee jerk reactions taken to fix it. Just seeing what's under the hood a bit and how it has effected the multirole class for individuals rather then a class as a whole.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,170 posts
15,765 battles

The class flavor of the moment changes with the wind but I have noticed one thing  to be constant, when a new line is released you will see more of all of that class and its typical counter. With the recent release of the German BB line we have lots of German BB's of course along with people playing their other BB's too. So with lots of BB's people will play the typical counter which in this case is DD's. Light cruisers with their fast firing 4, 5, & 6 in guns can do well in this DD heavy environment. With the British cruisers coming that flavor will switch to cruisers which will draw DD's and the BB players will be in the same place that cruisers are now.

Edited by BrushWolf

[RUSHB]
Members
602 posts
12,276 battles

Not just weakest but everyone automatically focuses them down, See my stats from last night horrible time in my DM I would get focused down and killed stupid fast. 

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

The class flavor of the moment changes with the wind but I have noticed one thing  to be constant, when a new line is released you will see more of all of that class and its typical counter. With the recent release of the German BB line we have lots of German BB's of course along with people playing there other BB's too. So with lots of BB's people will play the typical counter which in this case is DD's. Light cruisers with their fast firing 4, 5, & 6 in guns can do well in this DD heavy environment. With the British cruisers coming that flavor will switch to cruisers which will draw DD's and the BB players will be in the same place that cruisers are now.

I actually can't wait for more higher tier light cruisers. Make life a lot easier taking down DDs.

Sign in to follow this